More Shopsmith History and some more questions....

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

More Shopsmith History and some more questions....

Post by everettdavis »

Over the last few months I have been seeking period specific data as I research my upcoming Shopsmith book.

I attached a spreadsheet that is cited from Book I purchased titled "How to Write a Winning Business Report by Joseph Mancuso.

In his book there is discussion of the Shopsmith 1972 Business Plan to resurrect Shopsmith by John R. Folkerth and his backers.

While it was not part of the recent cache of documents Dr. Hans Goldschmidt I was provided access to while in Dayton last month.

The spreadsheet has production totals and sales totals by models for 10ER, Mark V, Mark VII, Saw Smith, Major and Minor Accessories, and Parts for the period 1948 to 1969.

We have been looking for more insight into the closure of the plant that manufactured Shopsmith’s in Raymond, Mississippi.

As I have researched this, it became apparent that the plant itself didn’t close when the manufacture of the Mark 5 ceased in the mid 1960’s. The plant manufactured many products, and the Mark 5 was but one of them.

If you dig just a bit you will find a relationship existed with Magna American who sold the Choremaster Tillers, the Mighty-Mite Electric Tillers, and Sawsmith under their brand.

As you examine the spreadsheet which listed model as Mark V opposed to Mark 5 as it started out, you will see from 1964 to 1965 they only made 347 units of that model. That’s when it went out of production. The company did not go out of business, this machine model alone went out of production in 1965. They owned all the rights to Shopsmith at the time, they had just discontinued the product line.

Interestingly, 10,671 of the newer design Mark VII were manufactured in 1963 through 1969 when they made only 190.

I was surprised to learn during the period of 1959-1969 they also made 25,406 Saw Smith models with final total in 1969 of just 72 units.

You may remember in your Shopsmith History that Yuba Power Products owned by Yuba Consolidated Industries made Shopsmiths for a period. Yuba Power Products was part of Yuba Consolidated who made an array of garden products also in this Raymond, Mississippi plant and that facility which existed and had underutilized production capacity was one the driving forces that compelled the move of manufacturing to the site, aside from the lower labor and material costs in Mississippi.

The plant in Mississippi was not shuttered when John R. Folkerth looked into the possibility of finding that infamous blade for his Saw Smith Radial Arm Saw. The Shopsmith production area was closed off but other manufacturing (Non-Shopsmith) at the site was still taking place.

I have also attached a brochure from the period that illustrates some of those garden tool products and you can tell that the folks were taking advantage of the Shopsmith brand name in the rebranded Yard Smith line, which you can now see at your Shopsmith Dealer. Those tools pre-existed, as did table saws and radial arm saws which were rebranded as Yard Smith and Saw Smith lines.

The point is, even though the Mark 5 / Mark V model produced there ceased, the garden tools and the Mark VII did not.

It is why we have had a hard time pinning down a time when Shopsmith supposedly went out of business. In reality, they did not go out of business, the Mark 5 / V went out of production in 1965.

In 1972 the production rights were sold to John R. Folkerth and Shopsmith Inc. was formed, and in a year, production resumed under a new company.

I have not compared the production totals from the 1972 source to other Serial Number documents to see how they stack up to each other. That might be interesting for one of you to search out considering what we understand was Shopsmith’s 10ER dollar sales volume back in the day allowing for $200 per unit with a motor as a base-line.

Interestingly, the 1947-48 10E and the 1948 production numbers of were not part of the calculation in the spreadsheet that were part of the business plan, nor does it state that these were combined national numbers opposed to the Eastern US Production numbers only.

What are your thoughts and observations?

Everett
Yard Smith Outdoor Power Tools.pdf
(238.9 KiB) Downloaded 995 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: More Shopsmith History and some more questions....

Post by JPG »

My initial reaction was that the production numbers were lower than I thought.

Less than 140,000 Mark 5

Less than 26,000 SawSmith

10 ER less than 120,000
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

JPG wrote:My initial reaction was that the production numbers were lower than I thought.

Less than 140,000 Mark 5

Less than 26,000 SawSmith

10 ER less than 120,000
That's why I was wondering if this was the East Cost production data. First because of those low numbers and Second, because 1947-1948 numbers for California weren't included. The Ohio plant and the Ohio based Yuba who was manufacturing in Mississippi before they affiliated with Magna might suggest those are East Cost numbers.

Lastly, the addition of the Eastern facility was to double the production from 2000-2500 in California to 4000-5000 monthly units combined. If that was Eastern production only, it would be about right.

It is the first Mark VII production numbers I remember seeing.

It is curious that the dedication of the Magna Plant in Mississippi was in 1966, it suggests the Mark 5 was on it's way out already.

I have no way to tell what the data was, since the plan was written in the early 1970's from whatever data might have been in the Mississippi plant when John first accessed it.

Everett
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Between the years 1948 and 1969, there were 3 owners. I take it that Dr. Hans Goldschmidt was the 1948 to 1954. What years were the other 2? Also from whom did John R. Folkerth buy the rights from?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

There is a lot to cover on that topic and a good bit of it will be in the book I am working on as it takes a good bit of text to go through it.

Here are a few answers:

Magna Engineering Corp. (San Diego)
Magna Power Tool Corp
Yuba Power Products Inc. (Cleveland) a division of Yuba Consolidated Industries, Inc.
Magna American Corporation (former Yuba employees) who acquired rights and moved manufacturing to Mississippi plant
Shopsmith Inc. John R. Folkerth (resumed manufacturing) Troy, Ohio - Dayton Ohio. There was four discrete plants at one time, later consolidated.
RLF Brands LLC 2009 reorganization Robert L. Folkerth

There was even a time in 1981 when McGraw-Edison sold its power tool division to Shopsmith, who sold off inventory and manufactured a product line under a Benchmark trade name.

McGraw had acquired Griswold, and G.W. Murphy, who bought out someone else I can't remember... Portable Electric something... there was a good bit of manufacturing for various brand names of other folks by those companies, and I am sure I left out some names and brands that were in play prior to Shopsmith's acquisition.

John Folkerth actually bought the rights from Magna American Corporation and the Terms of Sale and Business plan will be a reference appendix in my book.

Just a tidbit at the time of transfer Shopsmith Inc. paid 100% on all finished goods inventory; 70% for the in-process inventory pertaining to Shopsmith Mark V and the Sawsmith; and 40% for all other in-process inventory.

AND... FYI all of that came from sources other than the Hans Goldschmidt files I accessed in Dayton, from prior book research.

I am clearly not going to be able to answer all the questions, much less answer them in the forums.

I will try to add in a few tidbits to help build interest in my book, but all the time I spend in that takes away from book research time, and production.

I mean no disrespect to anyone when I just can't get into some things yet.

Respectfully

Everett
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I'll add some of my thoughts on this. The production numbers for the Model 10's at 117,197 does not include the 1947/1948 or 1948/1949 fiscal years. Do we know what was the fiscal year they were using? Example July to June. If these two fiscal years were included in the total, the numbers would be well into the range that has been estimated for the total Model 10 production for both coasts. As for the production drops of the Mark 5 these were shown in the Mark 5 and Mark V Serial Numbers production by month. See notes on my version attached below.
Mark V Serial Numbers.pdf
(121.78 KiB) Downloaded 907 times
beeg asked
Between the years 1948 and 1969, there were 3 owners. I take it that Dr. Hans Goldschmidt was the 1948 to 1954. What years were the other 2? Also from whom did John R. Folkerth buy the rights from?
Everett answered
Here are a few answers:

Magna Engineering Corp. (San Diego)
Magna Power Tool Corp
Yuba Power Products Inc. (Cleveland) a division of Yuba Consolidated Industries, Inc.
Magna American Corporation (former Yuba employees) who acquired rights and moved manufacturing to Mississippi plant
Shopsmith Inc. John R. Folkerth (resumed manufacturing) Troy, Ohio - Dayton Ohio. There was four discrete plants at one time, later consolidated.
RLF Brands LLC 2009 reorganization Robert L. Folkerth
Hans Goldschmidt having invented the Shopsmith went to his friend Robert L. Chambers, a former supervisor of Goldschmidts. Robert and his brother Frank invested their own money and became Goldschmidt's partners in forming Magna Engineering Corporation in San Francisco not San Diego. The name change to Magna Power Tool Corporation in 1955 was to better describe what the company did. It was still owned by Goldschmidt and the Chambers brothers. When Magna sold/merged or whichever version of becoming Yuba you believe Goldschmidt stayed on in engineering until 1960. Everett may be able to correctly define how Magna became Yuba and when as he searches through the documents. I have read versions that include Magna was sold to or merged with Yuba Power Products Inc. a division of Yuba Consolidated Industries, Inc. Another is that Magna was merged with a power lawn and garden tool company and the combined companies became Yuba Power Products Inc. a division of Yuba Consolidated Industries, Inc. This occurred around 1958 to 1959 which made Yuba the second owner and Magna American became the third owner of the Shopsmith Tool line.

Everett you seem to have answered the question as to when Magna American went bankrupt, closed, out of business but actually none of the above. THANK YOU :) That is a part of the Shopsmith story that has eluded us.

Everett this is going to be a long process for you sorting the facts from the fiction we know. We may challenge you from time to time but it is only to get the correct information on the history of these tools we love and want to know more about. I look forward to having a copy of your book when it is finished.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Teaches me once again that replying from cell is not the best path

Everett
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

The name change was not a name change but two companies separated into engineering and manufacturing separate from sales merchandising and dealer networking.

There is even third company before Magna American came about; Magna International - that was tasked with expansion into world wide marketing of Shopsmith.

I have a really exciting mission ahead of me and my task is to make it interesting and accurate.

Everett
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

everettdavis wrote:The name change was not a name change but two companies separated into engineering and manufacturing separate from sales merchandising and dealer networking.

There is even third company before Magna American came about; Magna International - that was tasked with expansion into world wide marketing of Shopsmith.

I have a really exciting mission ahead of me and my task is to make it interesting and accurate.

Everett
This is absolutely fascinating. You have obviously obtained a treasure trove of previously unknown information. This will be a very exciting journey for all of us.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

Everett,
I have a copy of the letter my father-in-law received in 1957 when he bought his Mark 5, which I still have and use. The letter has a little water damage at the bottom of the page, but signed by R.L. Chambers, the letterhead states the address as Menlo Park, Ca for Magna Engineering Corporation. It also lists at the bottom they have plants located in Berkeley and Cleveland. Menlo Park is now I believe part of Palo Alto and Berkeley is now part of Oakland. If interested I would be glad to scan and email you a copy. I also have copies of the packing list, his first Shopsmith Shavings New Owner's addition, two other Shopsmith Shavings, one dated 1955, the Shopsmith ShopMag winter edition from 1956-1957, and the original owners manual. I would also consider loaning these documents to you instead, if interested. Just let me know and I would be glad to put them in an envelope and send them to you. I think what you are providing is an inspiration to so many people and wish I had half the knowledge and ability you have to complete such a project.
BTW, the phone number for Magna Eng Corp in 1957 was "DAvenport 3-3191". You old-timers should get a kick out of that. The young-ins probably wont have a clue.