Power pro problems and no response from SS

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Power pro problems and no response from SS

Post by JPG »

What is a 'tapered' set screw?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

JPG wrote:What is a 'tapered' set screw?
Beveled end or tapered end opposed to flat.
One that compliments the bevel on the spindle opposed to biting in on the edge around the circumference of the face.

I don’t feel well today so forgive me. Perhaps I should not post more until I feel better

Everett
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

everettdavis wrote:
JPG wrote:What is a 'tapered' set screw?
Beveled end or tapered end opposed to flat.
One that compliments the bevel on the spindle opposed to biting in on the edge around the circumference of the face.

I don’t feel well today so forgive me. Perhaps I should not post more until I feel better

Everett
OK :D

NOT flat
NOT cone
NOT cup
NOT serrated cup
NOT half dog
MAYBE oval

Only one that matches is oval(sorta beveled)

Oval is what was historically used. Recently? :eek:

Here's to a speedy 'recovery'!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wurlitzerwilly
Gold Member

Post by wurlitzerwilly »

The set-screw loosening problem is probably due to a setting in the computer software. I can't find my original instructions right now, so you'd probably be best telephoning Shopsmith direct. Try asking for Wes, if he still works there. He was most helpful fixing this issue, which is caused by undershoot/overshoot of the speed control pulses and the software needs to have a wider hysteresis setting.
Loctite etc., will not cure the problem.

Regards,

Alan.
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

I had to send my power supply and display in for repair last week. Is this normal that there is no communication generated from Shopsmith on any progress on the repairs?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

kd6vpe wrote:I had to send my power supply and display in for repair last week. Is this normal that there is no communication generated from Shopsmith on any progress on the repairs?
IIUC, typical yes.

IMHO, normal no.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

kd6vpe wrote:I had to send my power supply and display in for repair last week. Is this normal that there is no communication generated from Shopsmith on any progress on the repairs?
Telephone communications are bidirectional. Call Customer Service and ask for a progress report.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

gavcon wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:03 pm ... this happens to my faceplates too, and they are from Shopsmith. I've tried teflon tape, loctite will be next. I'll wait on the super glue.
Just getting back into turning, now more seriously and am experiencing this setscrew loosening on the faceplate issue big time. What ended up working for you Gavcon?

hal
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Have you checked the set screw?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

yes - that's the problem. it keeps loosening and i have to realign and tighten. It only lasts for a couple of minutes of turning before I have to do it again. I replaced the screw and it is still happening.