Difference between the Incra and shopsmith cross cut

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

twistsol
Gold Member

Re: Difference between the Incra and shopsmith cross cut

Post by twistsol »

I have the Incra miter 5000 which has the same configuration for the drop sled, but uses an Incra miter gauge rather than adapting the SS miter gauge. I'll take a look, but I've never had any issues with the drop sled.

The sled is 1/2" thick melamine coated MDF. I'll put a calipter to it tonight as well and confirm that.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

texan63 wrote:The Incra Miter Express is on sale again. The only comment on the S/S web site for this item (556026) states that the drop off panel is not useable, due to its miter bar adjustment bar nuts/washer make the panel sit higher than the adjacent main panel. This comment was posted in May of 2017. Have any of you owners of the Incra Miter Express found this problem? Also, what is the thickness of this product? Thanks so much for your help!
Travis
Freeport, FL
Not sure what the issue is/was. I have and use mine and have not seen the bar problem he described. There may have been an issue of getting the wrong version, ie shopsmith vs others. If I have time later today I will take a couple of pictures of what the bottom should look like.

I don't recall this person having a discussion here on the issue so I hope he was able to figure it out or get help since you really want the drop off panel in place when using the sled.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

I just checked and sled dropoff sits flat on the SS table AFTER the set screws are tightened. Here's a photo of it with the set screws tightened.
Dropoff on SS510
Dropoff on SS510
IMG_1500.jpg (295.02 KiB) Viewed 10943 times
On the bottom of the table, there is a t-track style miter bar that has wedges in it that spread the bar to lock it in place much like the SS miter bar. If you look at the picture below, the wedge is proud of the miter bar and on mine when it is fairly loose, the gap from the SS table to the sled dropoff is about 1/8"
Sled dropoff underside
Sled dropoff underside
IMG_1502.jpg (193.17 KiB) Viewed 10943 times
My guess would be the poster had the same issue to a greater extent and the wedge didn't go up enough for the table to sit flat.

I also have the same setup on my big tablesaw and the wedges are slightly recessed even when the set screws are loose. My conclusion is that Incra is using the same wdges on the narrower, thinner ShopSmith version of the miter bars as they are on the standard miter bars.

On a side note, the set screws are 3/32" hex vs the 5/32" hex for everything else ShopSmith.

Finally, the thickness of my two Miter 5000 sled tables are 0.555" and 0.554"
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Many of you know the Wood Whisper and his work.
I was surprised when he said in last weeks video that he now prefers the Incra 5000 over anything on the market or that he manufactured.
His reasoning was the Incra 5000 was easy to adjust and easy to keep into adjustment.

I think the Incra Miter express along with a V120 mitre gauge is nearly the equalvent of the Incra 5000. Or am I wrong on that point?
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Many of you know the Wood Whisper and his work.
I was surprised when he said in last weeks video that he now prefers the Incra 5000 over anything on the market or that he manufactured.
His reasoning was the Incra 5000 was easy to adjust and easy to keep into adjustment.

I think the Incra Miter express along with a V120 mitre gauge is nearly the equalvent of the Incra 5000. Or am I wrong on that point?
It's awfully close. The Miter 5000 comes with the equivalent of the 3000SE built in which is adjustable through the full 180 degree range in in .5 degree increments. It also has the extended telescoping fence and the stops.

If you pimped out the V120 with the miter express you'd pretty much match the functionality. One of the things I did was bought a smaller fence for my 5000 because the telescoping fence made one side tippy unless I added support and it ran into my Incra TSLS which is a pain to take off.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Just finished checking my miter express and it works fine. Even if it did have a problem it looks to be pretty easy to fix...... sanding AL is pretty easy and fast.

The parts in question are wedged shaped as seen here:
20180613_210548_resized.jpg
20180613_210548_resized.jpg (128.54 KiB) Viewed 10914 times
While the shopsmith miter gauges work here you can also you ones like the HD1000 with .1 degree adjustments, that is what I use and keep it on the sled since it doesn't fit the shopsmith except when used with the sled.

Best ever? I'd say it pretty good but maybe not for everything and everyone. I'm glad I have it but I'm glad I have most of my tools.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]