new owner with missing parts

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: new owner with missing parts

Post by JPG »

chapmanruss wrote:JPG
I have not checked, but I suspect the MVII second slot is larger than the M5 second slot since the MVII is 10". I can vouch for a 10" blade in a Mark 5 goldie second slot being susceptable to 'milling' the table itself.
What is the length of the saw blade table insert slot and the extra slot. I am guessing here but can you lower the table father down using the extra slot than you can using the regular table insert slot since the table may not "bottom out" until it hits the arbor. The table hits the top of the headstock when using the table insert slot. I measured the one saw blade table insert I have for the 500 tables and it's opening is 10 1/2" long. It is an extra from restoring Mark 5/V's and I do not know when it was made.
I have since 'checked'. The MVII 'extra' slot is longer than the M5 'extra slot' by about 3/4" to 1"(I did not measure).

The table insert('normal' blade slot etc.) is the same for both models.

Yes the table will go lower(I have used that in the past).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG,

I miss spoke when I said
I have restored two Greenie Mark 5's (1956 & 1957) and a Goldie Mark 5 (Oct. 1960), none of which has a second slot.
I was just looking at the pictures of the Goldie I restored and it DOES have the extra slot. I checked the pictures of the Greenies I have restored and was correct that they do not have the extra slot. The 83 Mark V I restored does not either. I guess at my age it is better to know than try to remember.
IMG_0273 r.jpg
IMG_0273 r.jpg (229.86 KiB) Viewed 22886 times
Doug we still hope to hear from you about your Shopsmith and will help you as much as possible in finding the right items you need for it.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

NICE job on the Goldie!!!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
waytech
Bronze Member

Post by waytech »

JPG wrote:Sorry for harping, but ALL Mark 5's had the second slot.(At least until SS Inc. made new dies).
My 1954 does not have the slot in the table.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

waytech,

Just curious since we were on the subject earlier in this post. How many screws hold your belt cover on?
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
waytech
Bronze Member

Post by waytech »

Sorry I did not get back to this before. My headstock 8 screws on the belt cover.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

waytech wrote:Sorry I did not get back to this before. My headstock 8 screws on the belt cover.
An early "A" headstock. Wonder about a couple of other things! :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

waytech
Bronze Member

Post by waytech »

JPG, what are you wondering about?
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Everett has been working on restoring the early Mark 5 manuals. He has restored a digital copy of my earliest Mark 5 Manual from 1954 believed to be the first one and another from Wileycoyte believed to be the second manual released. Differences in the machines show up in the parts list and drawings. Early Mark 5's had 8 screws holding on the belt cover. Later it was six and finally two. All in the "Greenie" era. The early Mark 5's did not have a "clutched" Drive Sleeve nor the Bearing Retainers on the Idler Bearings.This may be what JPG was wondering about. Check Everett's new manual additions on his google drive to compare which parts you have. Here is his link and check 1954+ Mark 5

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

The Serial Number of your machine would also be helpful in knowing when it was made and to compare which parts it has.
Russ

Mark V 520
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

waytech wrote:JPG, what are you wondering about?
On another thread the drive sleeve has been discussed. I am curious if your 'early' model has a solid drive sleeve or has the clutched drive sleeve.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝