Just got my first Shopsmith had a couple questions

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Just got my first Shopsmith had a couple questions

Post by Hobbyman2 »

The oem double bearing quill upgrade fits units with the polly v belt drive not the gilmer belt drive from my understanding , the difference in belts are he gilmer belt has groves and the v belt does not. I believe the gilmer belt drives can be changed over to the v belt,however I would look to the others to confirm for the details ,so far my quill upgrade has been great. before I could use a set of mic's to set the dado heads , say at 1/2 inch my cut wold be closer to 9/16 or more because of the wobble in the shaft . now its pretty much right on .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Double bearing quill will require converting to the poly-v drive which replaces the control sheave, drive sleeve and the belt(that ain't cheaply done). The conversion also requires the quill change but does not need to be the double bearing quill.

The table upgrade is not simply a different table. It includes a different carriage, different rip fence, aux table, and additional floating tables and adjustable support legs.

I would not consider any of these things($$$$$$ :eek: ) until you gain sufficient experience that will then tell you when/if they are desirable for you.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

You asked about a manual. Unfortunately the only digital copy of a manual I have is too large to post here and is for the later "Greenies". Any copy of a Mark 5 or Mark V 500 manual will have a lot of the same operating instructions. The main changes for the Mark 5 occurred in the headstock with the first in June of 1955. The ability to saw a board or drill a hole is done the same. How you service your Mark 5 will be different than with other Mark 5's. Because your Mark 5 has the "A" headstock there is not an access hole behind the rear logo plate on the headstock unless someone modified it. The access hole was included in the "B" headstock when the headstocks changed in October 1955. This made cleaning and lubricating the idler pulley control sheave, the speed changer quadrant and worm gears easier. In operations the only difference is your headstock has a high speed lock that must be depressed to increase the speed past a certain point. Sorry I do not recall that speed. If you want to cut a Dado and do not have the table insert, you can buy a new one from the catalog on this web site. There is support for even the early Mark 5 machines and you could if you wish (and have lots of money) upgrade your Mark 5 "Greenie' to a Mark 7 with the Power Pro motor and double tilt. I do not recommend doing that as it would be cheaper to buy a new Mark 7 than buy all the upgrades needed to make a old Mark 5 a Mark 7 with it's accessories. As for changing the Quill to a double bearing quill, if there is not a problem, I would follow the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it."
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
APerna1985
Silver Member

Post by APerna1985 »

Russ, I was actually thinking about lubrication today. It's very quiet now, but I'd like to keep it that way, do I have to disassemble the head stock to do it?

Also the double tilt didn't seem to bad I'm the scheme of things, would it fit my machine, it would he nice to have the ability to have a router table too.

Also are the tubes the carriage rides on larger on my greenie than a 510 or 520? I think I found the carriage and a complete table for 200. I know I still need a fence and arbors. I have the smallest support table now so either way I was considering buying another one, so I'm trying to weigh out the cost. It seems like it would be a lot easier to cut things with a nice big table as opposed to the little one I have now. I also considered just buying another greenie carriage and table and butting it up against mine, I saw it somewhere and it seemed like a good idea.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

APerna1985 wrote:Russ, I was actually thinking about lubrication today. It's very quiet now, but I'd like to keep it that way, do I have to disassemble the head stock to do it?

Also the double tilt didn't seem to bad I'm the scheme of things, would it fit my machine, it would he nice to have the ability to have a router table too.

Also are the tubes the carriage rides on larger on my greenie than a 510 or 520? I think I found the carriage and a complete table for 200. I know I still need a fence and arbors. I have the smallest support table now so either way I was considering buying another one, so I'm trying to weigh out the cost. It seems like it would be a lot easier to cut things with a nice big table as opposed to the little one I have now. I also considered just buying another greenie carriage and table and butting it up against mine, I saw it somewhere and it seemed like a good idea.
Your BENCH tubes are 1 7/8" od. I believe the double tilt is designed for 1 3/4" tubes. The tubes can be replaced with 1 3/4" tubes since the double tilt includes new base on both ends.

However unless the headstock is reversible(runs backwards) the usefulness of the tilt left is minimal. Under table cannot occur. The table mounting posts also make under table routing impossible(more to that than just the bases).

Yes the way tubes(headstock/carriage) are the same od for all models.

Realize the larger main table is quite heavier than the smaller one.

The speed 'interlock' is just above saw/joint.

Without the access hole adequate lubrication requires(IMO)dropping the motor to gain access. By reversing the table and inserting it into the carriage from 'below' with it raised to vertical provides a platform to support the motor while doing that.

Also that vintage movable sheaves did not originally have oil holes in the hub.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
benmcn
Gold Member

Post by benmcn »

You can get a double bearing quill for the Gilmer drive from MKC tools. I believe he has figured out how to machine the original single bearing quill to accept a second bearing. No need to upgrade to the poly v drive if you are comfortable with the after-market upgrade. He has a number of other neat little add ons for the Shopsmith as well.

http://www.mkctools.com/mark%20v%20parts.htm
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I believe JPG has answered your questions to me and I agree with him. The attached PDF is for lubricating the sheaves. Although it is for "B" and "C" headstocks it may help you in locating where to apply a couple drops of light oil in each spot.
Lubricating the Sheaves.pdf
(65.48 KiB) Downloaded 2194 times
All way tubes are 1-3/4" in diameter. According to Shopsmith the reversible table tubes require you have the 510 or 520 table system.

There is another option for doing under table routing & shaping without upgrading your Mark 5. Adding a Speed Increaser will give you the under table functions and increase the speed to 10000 RPM's. This option is a lot cheaper than adding the Double Tilt with all the other changes required plus you will have the higher speed.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

JPG wrote: I would not consider any of these things($$$$$$ :eek: ) until you gain sufficient experience that will then tell you when/if they are desirable for you.
I concur with this sentiment.

Pay close attention to cost regarding upgrades. When all is said and done it may be more cost effective overall to just buy a new Mark 7. I'm in this boat right now and trying to decide if I want to upgrade what I have or just buy a whole new machine.

PowerPro Upgrade (Includes the double bearing quill) $1700 to $2100 depending on preference.

520 Table upgrade from the Mother ship $1500 (This can be done through Craigslist or ebay but you have to be careful as individual parts can be scarce at times.

Double Tilt Upgrade $550

and at the end of it you still have a used machine.

Brand New Mark 7 = $4279 with full warranty and support. If you go through Lowe's you can usually save some at least on shipping.

As for now, I'm waiting.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I forgot to mention this on the manuals. There are summary manuals available here on the Shopsmith website. Look in the service parts under Mark 7 & Mark V's at the bottom of the page. There are 4 summary manuals 500/510/520 & M7. Keep in mind when using this manual that it is the most current version so some things will look a little different but the operations will work the same. There are also some specific instructions under Support/Online Manuals. Below is the link to the 500 Summary Manual.

http://www.shopsmith.com/getting_starte ... Manual.pdf

As for upgrading watch the online sales. Recently I have seen near me a brand new, in box Mark 7 sell for $1500.00 and currently there is a 510 with the Power Pro Headstock and Double Tilt upgrades plus the original headstock, base/arm and headsest, the original 500 table system and a Band saw for $1600.00 for sale near Seattle. At any time for only a few hundred dollars more you can add the 510 to 520 upgrade and have a Mark 7. If I hadn't already upgraded my 520 to a Mark 7 I would consider something like this.

If you have the room, having more than one Shopsmith can be handy during projects.
Russ

Mark V 520
APerna1985
Silver Member

Post by APerna1985 »

rsz_20180608_054548.jpg
rsz_20180608_054548.jpg (219.84 KiB) Viewed 19487 times
I finally resized my pictures they're spread over 2 posts on 2 pages. I'm all in this machine and accessories for $125 and it seems to work perfect. So I don't mind throwing some money at it make it the best it can be especially because I can do it over time, it's easier to spend 2000 dollars over 2 years than all in one shot. Plus I intend to buy every accessory possible.
Attachments
rsz_20180608_054554 (1).jpg
rsz_20180608_054554 (1).jpg (213.18 KiB) Viewed 19487 times
rsz_20180608_054545.jpg
rsz_20180608_054545.jpg (211.44 KiB) Viewed 19487 times
rsz_20180608_054349.jpg
rsz_20180608_054349.jpg (151.43 KiB) Viewed 19487 times
Last edited by APerna1985 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.