Base Arm Removal From Base

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

judebak
Silver Member

Base Arm Removal From Base

Post by judebak »

Can the base arm be removed from the base? I have a crack in the base and would like to get it welded but need the base arm removed to do it. If it can be removed what is the process? Thanks.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Base Arm Removal From Base

Post by JPG »

judebak wrote:Can the base arm be removed from the base? I have a crack in the base and would like to get it welded but need the base arm removed to do it. If it can be removed what is the process? Thanks.
IF it is the older version that has a hinge pin, the hinge pin is secured by a roll pin that must be driven INTO the base(there is a cavity that will allow that) then the hinge pin can be removed. Do not cause the roll pin to become 'fatter'. A blunt end pin punch is needed.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
judebak
Silver Member

Post by judebak »

JPG wrote:
judebak wrote:Can the base arm be removed from the base? I have a crack in the base and would like to get it welded but need the base arm removed to do it. If it can be removed what is the process? Thanks.
IF it is the older version that has a hinge pin, the hinge pin is secured by a roll pin that must be driven INTO the base(there is a cavity that will allow that) then the hinge pin can be removed. Do not cause the roll pin to become 'fatter'. A blunt end pin punch is needed.
I am sorry, I should have said that it is a model 500. I have seen the cavity and thought that it might be a set screw, but upon closer inspection I could see right through to the other side. I will have to purchase a blunt end pin punch. Thank you for your help.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

judebak wrote:
JPG wrote:
I am sorry, I should have said that it is a model 500. I have seen the cavity and thought that it might be a set screw, but upon closer inspection I could see right through to the other side. I will have to purchase a blunt end pin punch. Thank you for your help.
Get the correct size(1/8"?).

A square cut off nail of the correct size may work. Use penetrating oil.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange