Is this toast?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ek1050
Gold Member

Is this toast?

Post by Ek1050 »

I’m not a welder and think I might have to just find a new shell. Everything else works fine, and most replacements seem to cost around the same as an entire inexpensive used Craigslist system. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Attachments
E5AB7FBC-20AD-4BC2-A055-6D1183F4999D.jpeg
E5AB7FBC-20AD-4BC2-A055-6D1183F4999D.jpeg (34.94 KiB) Viewed 4772 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Is this toast?

Post by chapmanruss »

You could try a washer and nut on the back side of the broken hole. Use a screw long enough for the washer and nut but no longer. I do not believe that would interfere with any moving parts back there. If that works you can take your time finding a replacement headstock casting for a permanent fix.
Good luck
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I agree with Russ. Use a fender washer on the back side (To spread out the load over a larger surface area) and use a nyloc nut (to prevent vibration loosening it) on the back of the threads after you have screwed it in place with the first two screws.

Should last as long as you need and work reliably without replacing the headstock housing.

Even though I have the ability to weld aluminum with a spool gun and could fabricate a patch, I would just use the washer and nut if it were mine.

Everett
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Screw the screw into what threads remain in the casting til the speed control is tight against the casting, THEN attach the washer and nut from the inside and do not rotate the screw.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ek1050
Gold Member

Post by Ek1050 »

Great advice. Thanks all.