New this forum

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

CandyShort
Bronze Member

New this forum

Post by CandyShort »

Hi there, I'm new, so I just wanted to introduce myself. I really enjoy woodworking and flooring, and that's about all I've done for my entire life. I love to learn. I want to know, how to maintain properly and others work tips. I hope I learn correctly from in here.
Thanks to all!
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Re: New this forum

Post by curiousgeorge »

Welcome, CandyShort.
This forum and all the friendly guys on here should be able to answer any questions you may have. Simply ask and/or search and you shall receive.
Leofric
Bronze Member

Post by Leofric »

Hi - I am also new to Shopsmith and this forum having just purchased a 1990 Mk5. One careful owner who has gone into a care home. Lots of extras, all manuals/books and reciepts. So far I have cleaned inside and lubricated the headstock (it seems to be in excellent condition). Fitted an auxiliary shaft guard. Cleaned inside and lubricated the bandsaw. I have used the table saw VERY CAREFULLY (minus lower guard - only part missing...), band saw, horizontal drill and sanding disc. Have started first project to practice. A garden table for my son - to fit fixed seating. It is just under 1.5 m (58.5 inches) square. Despite warnings, mostly from non-owners I suspect, I was pleasantly surprised at the repeatability and accuracy of cuts and effectively made a "kit" of alternating wide and narrow ceder planks, he had left from a garden fence, and assemble them to make a hinged top. Will add a photo when finished. THANKS TO POSTERS TO THIS FORUM, EXCELLENT MANUALS, BOOK AND VIDEOS FROM SHOPSMITH I FEEL I HAVE MADE A GOOD PURCHASE AND ENCOURAGING START ON A NEW VENTURE. Maybe 70 is a bit late to start this hobby but as the machines seem to last forever...
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Welcome to you both!

It is never too late to start!

Ignore those misinformed opinions until you acquire your own(you seem to be well on your way).

There are no dumb questions here. Dumbness only exists when questions are NOT asked. Most of us have 'been there done that'!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
CandyShort
Bronze Member

Post by CandyShort »

Thanks for reply.I am a new woodworker. So I have no know better design woodworking. Can you help me?
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Welcome CandyShort and Leofric

It has not been mentioned yet so I encourage you to check under the Maintenance and Repair section for Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More by Everett Davis. This will be one of the first three topics. In it you will find a wealth of information on the Shopsmith tools. Some are directly linked there and others are on “My Google Drive” with documents too large to be directly linked. Everett has become the Shopsmith historian by saving and restoring manuals and other documents. There is not a woodworking tool made with more written about it's use than the Shopsmith tools. Enjoy your new to you tools and feel free to ask questions.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
CandyShort
Bronze Member

Post by CandyShort »

JPG wrote:Welcome to you both!

It is never too late to start!

Ignore those misinformed opinions until you acquire your own(you seem to be well on your way).

There are no dumb questions here. Dumbness only exists when questions are NOT asked. Most of us have 'been there done that'!
Hi, Thank you for a reply. Actually, my old Shopsmith is damage, So I looking to update a wood carving tools brand, Can you any help me?
CandyShort
Bronze Member

Post by CandyShort »

Thanks for the reply.OK, can you said to me where I get the best information for Shopsmith tools.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

CandyShort wrote:Thanks for the reply.OK, can you said to me where I get the best information for Shopsmith tools.

Here. Which tools are you talking about?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

CandyShort is suspect!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange