Problems with jointer operation

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DavidO
Bronze Member

Problems with jointer operation

Post by DavidO »

I was using my shopsmith jointer with about a 1/32 depth of cut on a 7/8 inch edge and the machine slowed to a stall. I checked my belts and all appear to be normal. I also checked the power and this also appeared to be normal. No smoke from the motor. Any thoughts on the problem?
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Problems with jointer operation

Post by JPG »

Did you check the hubs(missing set screws) and coupler(slid out of grooves)?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The Mark slowed to a stall OR just the jointer?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
DavidO
Bronze Member

Post by DavidO »

Thanks for the responses. For the suggestion about the hubs, I checked the drive hubs and they were OK, but I, cleaned and reinstalled anyway. Specific to the condition of the stall the Mark V motor did stall. When I took the board off of the jointer the motor restarted, and accelerated slowly.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

DavidO wrote:Thanks for the responses. For the suggestion about the hubs, I checked the drive hubs and they were OK, but I, cleaned and reinstalled anyway. Specific to the condition of the stall the Mark V motor did stall. When I took the board off of the jointer the motor restarted, and accelerated slowly.
One step further:

Is the Mark V motor running at speed and the jointer slow to recover OR is the motor running slow?

With the drive hub disconnected from the headstock, does the cutter head spin "freely" and I do mean freely. There should be very, very little drag.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
DavidO
Bronze Member

Post by DavidO »

Opps! The drive collar on the jointer was loose. My brain must have observed the cutter slowing down and I interpreted the spindle slowing. I was wearing ear protection with 30+ Db protection so it was really quiet. Thanks for the post for making me take a second look. On the plus side I didd take time to lube the variable speed shaft, vacuum out the rubber and wood dust and tighten the upper drive belt. Thanks to all for the suggestions!