Sheet metal labeled "weldable"

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Sheet metal labeled "weldable"

Post by reible »

I stopped by the hardware store to get some sheet metal, I was thinking galvanized but as things go the size I wanted was not in stock. They did have a sheet of this metal they had labeled "weldable" stock. To me it looks like just plain old cold rolled steel. I guess it is weldable stock since it is not plated? Anyway a new term for me.

Going to paint it so it will not rust. How ever the weather is not cooperating today, rain and wind...........

It is an experiment anyway so if there is something else to the weldable thing that will be a problem I can go back and try to find what I set out to get.

Now I have to find my sheet metal gauge to see if it is 26GA like the label on the bin said or more like 22GA which it feels like to me. Who knows maybe the weldable stock is something total different and this piece was just in the wrong place. I would have asked but I doubt anyone would have know much.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Sheet metal labeled "weldable"

Post by jsburger »

Not sure what the term "weldable" means in this context but here is what Lowes sells. It is described as cold rolled and uncoted and they call it weldable. Another new confusing term to deal with. :eek:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-24-in- ... al/3054577
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:Not sure what the term "weldable" means in this context but here is what Lowes sells. It is described as cold rolled and uncoted and they call it weldable. Another new confusing term to deal with. :eek:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-24-in- ... al/3054577
Sorta like gluten free water. :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Is "Saw-able wood" next. Or a T bone steak labled "Edible".
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

LOL When I was a kid we planted what they now call annual tomatoes , you could save the seeds and plant them next season ,,now you have to be care full because you may be buying perennials , the seeds wont grow. on a positive note at least things are labeled .

if you cant find your gage here is a chart that you can use with a caliper https://www.archtoolbox.com/materials-s ... guage.html
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I am guessing it's the lawyers piping in. With the low cost of today's mig welders, many people with no training own them. They probably don't know the dangers of welding galvanized steel. If they sell it as uncoated (weldable), the are covered.
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

reible wrote:I stopped by the hardware store to get some sheet metal, I was thinking galvanized but as things go the size I wanted was not in stock. They did have a sheet of this metal they had labeled "weldable" stock. To me it looks like just plain old cold rolled steel. I guess it is weldable stock since it is not plated? Anyway a new term for me.

Going to paint it so it will not rust. How ever the weather is not cooperating today, rain and wind...........

It is an experiment anyway so if there is something else to the weldable thing that will be a problem I can go back and try to find what I set out to get.

Now I have to find my sheet metal gauge to see if it is 26GA like the label on the bin said or more like 22GA which it feels like to me. Who knows maybe the weldable stock is something total different and this piece was just in the wrong place. I would have asked but I doubt anyone would have know much.

Ed
Ed, if it is 26 Ga, it is going to quite difficult to weld.

You REALLY need a TIG, to even attempt it. MIG or
stick will just burn it up.

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I do not think ED is intending to weld anything, but he commented on the description stating it was weldable.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

No welding in my future. I did about 3 months as a welder and it is a dirty job and smelly and hot and well I didn't like it all that much. The worst was when I ended up doing a shift with a leaky helmet and woke in the middle of the night with what felt like someone had thrown a hand full of sand in my eyes. That about did it for me.

BTW we use to weld thin metal for practice, back then I could easily weld thinner then 26GA, now I'm sure it would take some practice but after welding for 9 hour shifts for 3 months that is a lot of hours of practice.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

reible wrote:No welding in my future. I did about 3 months as a welder and it is a dirty job and smelly and hot and well I didn't like it all that much. The worst was when I ended up doing a shift with a leaky helmet and woke in the middle of the night with what felt like someone had thrown a hand full of sand in my eyes. That about did it for me.

BTW we use to weld thin metal for practice, back then I could easily weld thinner then 26GA, now I'm sure it would take some practice but after welding for 9 hour shifts for 3 months that is a lot of hours of practice.

Ed
Ed I am glad you mentioned welding 26 ga, I have seen it done many times. I even watched a guy do an emergency wield on a motor cycle sheet metal using a gas torch and a coat hanger.
When he was done it looked like a perfect wield. Now if I had attempted it the owner would have to bought a new bike.