How to fix quill

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RxRick
Bronze Member

How to fix quill

Post by RxRick »

My early greenie quill comes out as seen in the picture. It can be pushed back in and will rotate okay. For now I am only running the bandsaw at low speed. I would appreciate any advice. Specifically, what part do I need to replace to fix this issue? I need to set it upright to use as a drill press but the quill falls out. Thank you.
Attachments
IMG_2235.JPG
IMG_2235.JPG (64.37 KiB) Viewed 4222 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: How to fix quill

Post by JPG »

For starters, the knurled collar is on the shaft backwards. You need to remove it anyway to gain access to the bearing etc..

Loosen the set screw and the collar will pull off the shaft.

Inside the quill body there is a groove close to the end. A retaining ring snaps into that groove to retain the bearing. The internal face of the bearing abuts a shoulder in the bore of the quill.

Apparently some one has been in there before thee since the collar is on backwards. Ask them where the retaining ring is. ;)

Off hand I do not know the exact size of the ring, but it has an od slightly larger than the bearing(35mm) so it snaps into the groove.

When replacing the knurled knob, pull out on the shaft as you push the collar onto the shaft. The raised portion of the knob presses against the inner race of the bearing so as to minimize play in/out of the quill.

There is a second smaller tapered flat that the collar setscrew tightens against. Make sure the set screw is centered across the flat when tightening(same as when installing an arbor to the larger tapered flat.

I hope the retaining ring is between the bearing and the collar. You will need retaining ring pliers to compress the ring so as to install it in the groove.

OVER
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

While it is apart, how is the bearing? It's a good time to replace it if needed. The internal snap ring measures about 1-7/16" but is not sold separately by Shopsmith. You could try an auto parts or hardware store and take the quill with you to check diameter and thickness. Most places are pretty helpful on stuff like that.
Last edited by chapmanruss on Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
RxRick
Bronze Member

Post by RxRick »

Thank you so much!