A New Shop in the Making

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

A New Shop in the Making

Post by dusty »

It has been a LONG time coming but finally the time has arrived.

I am not ready for take occupancy but very soon now.
20180515_060859.jpg
20180515_060859.jpg (104 KiB) Viewed 7063 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Re: A New Shop in the Making

Post by mountainbreeze »

I look forward to how you arrange and equip your shop as I hope to soon be moving into a similar sized area.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Nice, have you thought about protecting the hot water tank and furnace from dust? I can see a possible issue with dust even if you use a dust collection system and even if the equipment is sealed combustion , especially the filter and the AC coil.
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I do not see any vents so I am guessing neither are gas.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:I do not see any vents so I am guessing neither are gas.
Correct. The house is all electric and the ventilation system is not open to the garage. Access to the filter is in the garage (can be seen in the photo) but is covered. In the not too distant future there will be a louvered door hung over the furnace and hot water heater but that will be a visual distraction only.

I was thinking about making that a broom closet but my SIL who is a fire chief here in Tucson had a living fit when he heard that.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

mountainbreeze wrote:I look forward to how you arrange and equip your shop as I hope to soon be moving into a similar sized area.

I look forward to seeing how he arranges and equips his shop just because I'm nosy and love seeing workshops. :D
That and I know it will be interesting...

Dusty, am I correct that it will all be shop and the car will not be in there?
If so have you considered a wooden false floor? When I had the woodshop in the farmshop I put down a 12' x 24' section of 3/4" T&G plywood floor over a section of dirt floor on treated sleepers with a heavy poly vapor barrier and painted it with tan floor enamel. That was maybe 25 years ago and it is still like new. I loved that floor and still do. The difference between standing on that and standing on the concrete is amazing. Back in 1976 when I added a shoe repair shop to our store the first thing I did was put down treated sleepers flat and then 1/2" CDX topped with 3/4" particle board painted. I knew that I was going to be standing and working very long hours and didn't want to do it on concrete. My equipment was quite heavy but the floor held up very well.
It would be very easy to plan it with power, dust collection and even water if you liked under the floor.
Just a thought. I'm sure you have already thought a lot... :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Dusty knows this but, it's not very comfortable to leave your vehicles outside in the summer heat of Tucson. If you forget your oven mitts, you might not get the door open. And, you darned sure won't grab the steering wheel until the AC has run for 10 minutes.
Knowing Dusty, he's got it sorted, though.
I see he's getting some neighbors soon. Amazon is putting up a huge new fulfillment center, nearby. Something like 80,000 sq. Ft. And, 1500 new jobs.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The car will set out except during weather that looks like hail in the making. Yes, it does get hot. Fortunately the car when in the drive way is nearly all in the shade. Window shades (sun blockers) will be brought out from under the seat.

The concrete floor is what it is except that I have had it epoxy coated.

Paint and lighting are next and then "move in".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

One way to tell if the ducts are sealed is to light a scented candle in the garage and close it up ,turn the furnace to fan only, if you can smell the candle in the house then dust is sure to be a issue .the only way I know to seal the ducts are to tape them with foil tape on all the seams and around the furnace to duct work and filter connections JMO .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Hobbyman2 wrote:One way to tell if the ducts are sealed is to light a scented candle in the garage and close it up ,turn the furnace to fan only, if you can smell the candle in the house then dust is sure to be a issue .the only way I know to seal the ducts are to tape them with foil tape on all the seams and around the furnace to duct work and filter connections JMO .
As near as I can tell, the central air system draws fresh air from within the house (a wall vent near the floor in the hallway) and disperses it through vents in the ceilings of each room. A kleenex is drawn tight against that hall wall vent when the ac is on.

There is a filter in the air handler. If the system is drawing sawdust from within the shop I would assume an inspection of that filter would reveal that. If it does, I am here to guarantee you that I will be told about it in no uncertain terms.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty