Power Pro No power

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hfa5215
Bronze Member

Power Pro No power

Post by Hfa5215 »

My power Pro headstock will not power up. Any ideas?
Skizzity
Gold Member

Re: Power Pro No power

Post by Skizzity »

More info needed. What have you tried? Plugged in? Breaker tripped?
PowerPro Mark 7, 11" Bandsaw, 4" Jointer, 12" Professional Planer, DC3300 Dust Collector, DW745, DW718 w/ DW723 and a DW788 w/ DW7880.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. -Winston Churchill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

"POWER SWITCH" on?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Has it powered on before? Did you purchase a Power Pro Headstock or do an upgrade yourself? As suggested the simple things - is it plugged in? Original headstock power switch on? Has the breaker tripped? Is it plugged in to a GFCI outlet? Something about the electronics in the Power Pro system and GFCI outlets cause the GFCI to trip. If the simple things are all correct than it could be a loose connection inside the headstock. If you purchased a Power Pro Headstock then contact Shopsmith. If you did the upgrade check all the wire connections inside the headstock to make sure they are all making contact. If still not working contact Shopsmith.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Hfa5215
Bronze Member

Post by Hfa5215 »

chapmanruss wrote:Has it powered on before? Did you purchase a Power Pro Headstock or do an upgrade yourself? As suggested the simple things - is it plugged in? Original headstock power switch on? Has the breaker tripped? Is it plugged in to a GFCI outlet? Something about the electronics in the Power Pro system and GFCI outlets cause the GFCI to trip. If the simple things are all correct than it could be a loose connection inside the headstock. If you purchased a Power Pro Headstock then contact Shopsmith. If you did the upgrade check all the wire connections inside the headstock to make sure they are all making contact. If still not working contact Shopsmith.
I have called shopsmith, did not get any assistance, was told they have only one engineer on staff. I have checked breakers, no GFCI circuit, switch is on, power is getting to headstock. I have not taken it apart to check for loose connection. I purchased a new Pro Power, no conversion. Thanks to all of you who responded.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Hfa5215 wrote:
chapmanruss wrote:Has it powered on before? Did you purchase a Power Pro Headstock or do an upgrade yourself? As suggested the simple things - is it plugged in? Original headstock power switch on? Has the breaker tripped? Is it plugged in to a GFCI outlet? Something about the electronics in the Power Pro system and GFCI outlets cause the GFCI to trip. If the simple things are all correct than it could be a loose connection inside the headstock. If you purchased a Power Pro Headstock then contact Shopsmith. If you did the upgrade check all the wire connections inside the headstock to make sure they are all making contact. If still not working contact Shopsmith.
I have called shopsmith, did not get any assistance, was told they have only one engineer on staff. I have checked breakers, no GFCI circuit, switch is on, power is getting to headstock. I have not taken it apart to check for loose connection. I purchased a new Pro Power, no conversion. Thanks to all of you who responded.
Power getting to Power Pro Power supply? I would be looking for a disconnected wire/connector. I would be using a voltmeter to ascertain that.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hfa5215
Bronze Member

Post by Hfa5215 »

Shopsmith called me this morning. Told me to put it in drill press mode and to remove belt cover and blow out any sawdust. I did this and still no power. Brian at shopsmith said he would reopen a ticket and get back with me. I purchased the headstock in November 2014 and it always worked perfectly. All the switch wires appear to be connected.
Hfa5215
Bronze Member

Post by Hfa5215 »

I am still waiting for Brian at Shopsmith to call me back. I had an electrician test all the connections, everything appears to be pulling volts. I was unable to obtain any electricial meter readings for the different components. My headstock is now in pieces. I am truly upset.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I do hope that "it is in pieces" because Shopsmith directed you to do so. If it is (was) under warranty, it might not be now.

What did the electrician use to determine what should be seen (measured) at each of the points where he probed?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

Dusty,
I just took my PowerPro apart to determine if there were any loose connections. My DVR quit a couple of years ago so I reinstalled my backup headstock with a modification to allow it to run forwards and backwards. I miss my PowerPro but find the original motor setup to work just fine. I would like to get the DVR up and running again but since the display panel alone costs over $500 as well as the power supply another $500, I really don't see spending that kind of money for something I only paid $1,200 for in the first place. I asked SS if there was a way I could purchase some used parts to see if I could determine which part is bad without having to ship everything back only to find out it's going to cost over $1,000 to fix. Not sure if that is going to happen, so I still have the original motor I took out to install the PP, which I can always reinstall. I purchased the PP in 2010 and installed it myself, which I have used to turn over 100 bowls, so I got my moneys worth :)
Fred