Just a short review of the Radi-Plane

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Just a short review of the Radi-Plane

Post by reible »

I got mine a long while ago and didn't even know shopsmith even carried them anymore until I saw the blades in the spring sale. Had to make sure I still knew where it was and it was where I expected. I hadn't used it in a while but pulled it out to play with again. You can see it here:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... iplane.htm

Those that like hand tools would more then likely find one of these useful and now that I have mine back out of the back of a drawer I think I'll be using it more. I went through a hand tool phase but as I got older I didn't find it as much fun as I would like. I still try to do a few hand tool only projects each year to keep in some practice but of late the projects seem to be less and less robust.

So lets start with what this does. It is designed to either round or chafering the edges of a board. It does well on making very small radius or chafering. While adjustable and having the option to have blade sets replaced it does take some effort to do. I do mostly radius cuts but have the other set of blades to use if I want to.

Since the blades were quite cheap during the sale I got another set, not that I ever expect to need them but perhaps a grandson or daughter will. Here is a picture of the two sets:
20180414_204040_resized.jpg
20180414_204040_resized.jpg (89.72 KiB) Viewed 21197 times
The plane itself looks like this:
20180414_204117_resized.jpg
20180414_204117_resized.jpg (181.73 KiB) Viewed 21197 times
Looking at the sole you can see how that is designed to work on corners:
20180414_204127_resized.jpg
20180414_204127_resized.jpg (138.41 KiB) Viewed 21197 times
Of course it is as simple as running along the edge paying attention to grain direction and running with it if you can. The big thing is not to try to take off too much. I like to keep the cuts very light and just break the sharp edge.
20180414_204346_resized.jpg
20180414_204346_resized.jpg (165.71 KiB) Viewed 21197 times
Here is an example of a very light cut to do just that:
20180414_204457_resized.jpg
20180414_204457_resized.jpg (108.93 KiB) Viewed 21197 times
The hard part is learning to do the adjustments and then having a piece of scrap to do a test on before starting the real project. This is not going to work well if you want a large radius, you can do that with a router but for light cuts like before painting or other finishing it works well.

Ed
Last edited by reible on Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Just a short review of the Radi-Plane

Post by JPG »

I am guessing the threaded ends are non-functional?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

JPG wrote:I am guessing the threaded ends are non-functional?
The threads are how you adjust the exposure of the blades. There are two screws per blade that come in from the side to lock the blade in position and an angled threaded piece from the top that you use to adjust the height as well as to remove the blades.

One adjusts the blades so the front blade does part of the cut then the second blade does a follow up. You have to play with getting the blades set right for it to work right.

BTW the blades are carbide tipped so they last a long time hence the comment about me possibly never needing them. I do a touch up with a diamond file but that is more me liking to play with tools then actually needed I think.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Here are a couple more pictures to show some of the details:
20180415_000504_resized.jpg
20180415_000504_resized.jpg (110.1 KiB) Viewed 21173 times
20180415_000412_resized.jpg
20180415_000412_resized.jpg (111.13 KiB) Viewed 21173 times
BTW the screws are standard shopsmith so your allen wrench from the shopsmith works for this too.

Ed
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Thanks for the review, Ed.

I generally use a block plane to break sharp edges. What advantages do you see with the Radi-Plane?
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

The advantage is a curved edge.

My Radi-Plane worked great out of the box. Then I messed with the adjustment for no good reason, and I haven't got it to work well since. The two blades have to be adjusted just so.

Still, I'm not blaming the plane; I'm sure it's user error. And if I really did give it the attention it deserved, rather than playing for 10 minutes and putting it away, I'm sure I could get it working again.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I knew my "Radi-Plane" was "someplace" in the woodshop. Who would have ever thought to look on the plane shelf ? :rolleyes: :D
Woodshop - Sharp edge rounding plane.jpg
Woodshop - Sharp edge rounding plane.jpg (41.94 KiB) Viewed 21009 times

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

While getting my radi out I also found one of these tools which is functionally much different but performs the same function. I'd tell you what they are called except I have no idea.
20180417_170912_resized.jpg
20180417_170912_resized.jpg (177.89 KiB) Viewed 20997 times
I've had these for a very long time, one or the other was lost for a while but recently when I was cleaning up I discovered one in a drawer of other planes where I expected it to be and the other in a tool box with small planes. So technically they were not lost but rather separated from each other. Each end has a size it does so 1/16", 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" are the radius they can produce. To be honest I never checked it but that is how they are labeled.

They don't work as bad as they look. The material seems to hold an edge pretty good and a file will touch the edges up fine. You of course don't get the radius as nice as a router but for some types of hand work why not? You simply pull along an edge, well you can also push but I never had much luck with that operation.
20180417_170937_resized.jpg
20180417_170937_resized.jpg (122.04 KiB) Viewed 20997 times
I have no idea if you can still buy these but if you happen to run across them at a garage sale and you do some more to the ruff side woodworking then I'd go for them. This is more like a tool that you can slip in a tool belt or pocket and pull out to make some adjustments rather then it being a tool you get out for a large project.

Ed
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

reible wrote: I have no idea if you can still buy these but if you happen to run across them at a garage sale and you do some more to the ruff side woodworking then I'd go for them. This is more like a tool that you can slip in a tool belt or pocket and pull out to make some adjustments rather then it being a tool you get out for a large project.

Ed
Still available. :) Veritas - Cornering Tool Set
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

rpd wrote:
reible wrote: I have no idea if you can still buy these but if you happen to run across them at a garage sale and you do some more to the ruff side woodworking then I'd go for them. This is more like a tool that you can slip in a tool belt or pocket and pull out to make some adjustments rather then it being a tool you get out for a large project.

Ed
Still available. :) Veritas - Cornering Tool Set
Yes, and they have a device to help sharpen them, cool. I don't think mine are the same quality as those and I know I didn't pay anything near that even accounting for the years back factor.

I really should but an order in to Lee Valley since they extended the free shipping for couple of days. Got one item for $10 towards the $40 now.

Ed