Just Bought a Model 10ER Shopsmith

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

marshall601
Bronze Member

Just Bought a Model 10ER Shopsmith

Post by marshall601 »

Looking to see how old the one I just purchased is. Got a really good deal for it I thought and grabbed it. Can't seem to find much information about the 10ER on the sight. Like a list of attachments or specs.
thanks,
Marshall
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Just Bought a Model 10ER Shopsmith

Post by everettdavis »

marshall601 wrote:Looking to see how old the one I just purchased is. Got a really good deal for it I thought and grabbed it. Can't seem to find much information about the 10ER on the sight. Like a list of attachments or specs.
thanks,
Marshall
In the Maintenance and Repair Forum "Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More" under the link My Google Drive you will find much on the 10E & 10ER including fully restored PDF's of the Preliminary Manual, the 10E Owner's Guide, the 10ER Owner's Guide and a specific document titled Shopsmith [Magna] 10E to 10ER Production Changes through the years. All free.

See https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 90#p185690

In the folder with the 10E & 10ER you may also like: 10ERsurvey by Serial modified by Everett L Davis.pdf which is a survey done by Skip Campbell I modified in the context of production changes that has enough serial number data to help you find approximately when yours was made.

Everett
marshall601
Bronze Member

Post by marshall601 »

:) Thanks! I can't wait to read up and get to work with it. this has to be one of the best tools ever made!
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

For whatever reason, I forgot to mention the crown jewel of the document restorations "Revised Digital Edition of 1953 Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone - 2018" that you will find in the Misc folder. Everything there is totally free.

Update: It is now in a folder titled PTWFE 10ER 1953

It is the original 1953 release and written specifically for the 10ER; includes additional information - now 346 Pages, restored to the same standards I did the other documents I mentioned and is based on someone else's attempt to digitize it by just scanning everything as a graphic into a PDF. It now has an extensive active table of contents, is word searchable and has all photos restored.

The 1953 edition is for most, the 10ER operational Bible.

Everett
Last edited by everettdavis on Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drGeek
Silver Member

Post by drGeek »

got any pictures???
:)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

drGeek wrote:got any pictures???
It is full of enhanced original photos.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

JPG wrote:
I thunk he means pic of the original poster's machine... :)
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ChrisNeilan wrote:
JPG wrote:
I thunk he means pic of the original poster's machine... :)
Duh! :p
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
kschwarz20
Gold Member

Post by kschwarz20 »

For info on the 10ER, the Yahoo users group is a great resource. You can find it here: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Sho ... s/messages

Skip Campbell is THE expert on these machines, and he administers the Yahoo group. He is a great source of 10ER info and parts. Checkout his webpage at http://www.mkctools.com/. He also has several great videos you can access here: https://www.youtube.com/user/mkctools

There are lots of manuals out there in the Yahoo ER Documents group - You can access them here: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/erdocuments/files

If you need to do any restoration work, take a look at some of my restoration photos. You can find them and other SS picts here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kschwarz2 ... 296666408/
REMant
Bronze Member

Post by REMant »

FYI I own ER-15149 Info for registry as follows:

15149 ER, slotted sawguard, 2-piece wedges, horizontal fence lock (2), ER4 extension table, .1925" ways, 4 hole iron headrest, solid table rods, flat base (actually rests on three thicker pads), Bob Mantell owner

This machine was bought from the orig owner c 1958-9 by my father. It has not been modified in any way. The ways are definitely between 1/8" and 1/4". I measure .1925". The base is the longer round shape, but it is not "flat." The areas where the bolts go through are thicker than the plate itself and thicker than the headrest base.