New Wheels for Power Stands or Pro Planer

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: New Wheels for Power Stands or Pro Planer

Post by everettdavis »

dusty wrote:Failures may be practically unheard of but I can show them a half dozen or so if interested. More will likely be available when I unpack the PODs.
The real issue I think contributes the most is that once a deformation or bend in the yoke or stem of the caster occurs (even a small one), from that point on every single cycle to lift the Mark V with the caster assembly cam, it can only lift the machine at the deformed angle, serving to entice it to bend just a bit with every subsequent lift cycle.

The bedframe style casters originally used even have a tendency to bend on casters made in that style today. Have you seen that when you relocate a bed frame? Do you find them bent on newer Hollywood frames, but not so much on decades old high quality wooden frames?

Back in the day when American Steel was used to manufacture casters in America, they may have been materially stronger than those made abroad today. That could also be in play somewhat. The general design of the yoke and yoke housings have been strengthened in design, likely to overcome those obstacles.

Everett
Last edited by everettdavis on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I guess I've been lucky. I have yet to see a bent caster on any of my equipment. This includes several machine which I have gotten used.

I have seen my own casters get excessively worn in the tire area. I think this was due to me dragging the machine out on the ruff driveway to work. The driveway has seen better days and is on my list for replacement either this year or next.

One one of the machines I got used one wheel had split and had a flat spot from someone dragging it around without the wheel being able to turn.

Most of the others just have wear from years of use. My original shopsmith now has the new 3" casters, I also have a set for my mini but it is not operational yet. The rest of the stuff has OEM casters. Now I can't say if the used machines have had the casters changed or not but wear wise they look pretty much like each other and since the machines are all late 1970's or early 1980's one would expect that. None of them have "new" looking casters.

I guess I have to wonder just how many people are seeing the bent bits and how often they are replacing them. Anyone want to do a poll?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

A poll might be interesting but there are condition and environment issues that I think exacerbate and distort the data if we aren't careful.

I buy units in estate sales or from heirs who had let it sit for years perhaps decades before selling it. The condition may have been harsh or abusive on that group type opposed to used and maintained units which I seldom buy.

Of the rough ones I buy I would say that most every one has one or two casters minimum that need replacing.

With better maintained systems that should be lower.

If you paid $450 for a Mark V unit by itself how many if any casters needed replacing opposed to if you paid $75? There's always outliers and exceptional finds at both ends of the spectrum and a body of units in the middle.

For a survey to capture all that, it could help identify what is and isn't common

Everett
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Mine have all resided in garages/shops with concrete floors. The only harsh environment has been the expansion seams in that concrete floor. I am unable to say for certain how many casters I have replaced but it has been far more than I think is reasonable. I have replaced wheels too (three machines have red wheels) some of which are bent. A poll might be interesting but, for reasons stated, misleading.

I am curious though about casters that do not insert all the way. Is the "gap" universal or only on some machines. Are all Shopsmith 2" casters of the same design, construction and manufacturer.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I may be disappointed. I had originally thought that the casters would arrive maybe today but if not tomorrow as foretasted by the tracker. But this morning the tracker still shows the package to be somewhere in Indiana. That is at a location farther East than the origin. It's going the wrong way.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

dusty wrote:I may be disappointed. I had originally thought that the casters would arrive maybe today but if not tomorrow as foretasted by the tracker. But this morning the tracker still shows the package to be somewhere in Indiana. That is at a location farther East than the origin. It's going the wrong way.

Wouldn't it be funny if they dropped them off at my house today... :D :D :D

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

robinson46176 wrote:
dusty wrote:I may be disappointed. I had originally thought that the casters would arrive maybe today but if not tomorrow as foretasted by the tracker. But this morning the tracker still shows the package to be somewhere in Indiana. That is at a location farther East than the origin. It's going the wrong way.

I don't think it would be funny but I would not be terribly surprised. More likely to be reible's house though. The last status says they are in Hodgkin, Il.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I see Hodgkin a lot on my tracking so it is quite close to me in terms of where packages travel through. If I see a box on the porch today with your name on it I'll let you know.........

I've had packages take the scenic across the nation trip as well. Frustration to be sure.

Ed

dusty wrote:
robinson46176 wrote:

I don't think it would be funny but I would not be terribly surprised. More likely to be reible's house though. The last status says they are in Hodgkin, Il.
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

reible wrote:I see Hodgkin a lot on my tracking so it is quite close to me in terms of where packages travel through. If I see a box on the porch today with your name on it I'll let you know.........

I've had packages take the scenic across the nation trip as well. Frustration to be sure.

Ed

dusty wrote:
robinson46176 wrote:

Fortunately, I don't really need these wheels bad enough that the wait hurts. I am just very curious and anxious to see if them fit. I am already convinced that if they fir they will be a great improvement over what I have.

Truthfully, the casters that I have on my Crafters Station, the Power Station and the Power Stand for the bandsaw all work quite well. Some of them show signs of fatigue in the yoke but they still work. I have one Power Stand that needs a Caster Set as well as wheels.

I gotta be careful with that statement, however, because the new house will have a drive way that I could roll out onto. I currently have gravel outside of that door and there is no way to move out there to work.

"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Albertt62
Gold Member

Post by Albertt62 »

Hodgkin, IL???

I could run over and pick it up!