HUGE Scroll Saw improvement

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

moggymatt
Platinum Member

HUGE Scroll Saw improvement

Post by moggymatt »

I have both a Dewalt and a Shopsmith scroll saw and like and use them both. My Dewalt has one problem, but is a big problem. Getting my blade 90° front to back is no problem but I can't get rid of blade orbit front to back no matter what solutions I follow. That means it's way too agressive for thin or delicate projects.
My Shopsmith scroll saw is fantastic in that respect, it never has an orbit, and cuts every bit as good as the Dewalt. Problem is its an attachment model which means extra noise, not as "easy" to just go to it and scroll away. But my biggest complant is the table, the aluminum always leaves black marks on the back side of what I'm cutting. So I sort of haven't been going to the shopsmith.
I use these stick up white board rolls a lot at work and thought I'd give it a try on the scroll saws table. There 20 some odd bucks for 2 at Office Depot or Staples and wider than the tanle and 6' long, so it's a super cheap solution. Easy to trim with an exact knife and it makes a world of difference.
Clean table well
Clean table well
20180210_094850-800x450.jpg (58.5 KiB) Viewed 16605 times
Clean table well
Clean table well
20180210_094850-800x450.jpg (58.5 KiB) Viewed 16605 times
Attachments
Attach like wallpaper
Attach like wallpaper
20180210_100323-800x450.jpg (46.49 KiB) Viewed 16605 times
Here it is
Here it is
20180210_100510-800x450.jpg (80.32 KiB) Viewed 16605 times
Paul B
reible
Platinum Member

Re: HUGE Scroll Saw improvement

Post by reible »

I guess I'll add a trip to Staples to this weeks list. Not planning on using it on the scroll saw but I can think of other uses.

Those black marks of which you speak, I see them when I have neglected to keep my waxing of the table. I get them most often on the table saw where I've been doing a lot of cutting but not waxing as often as needed. I have never seen the marks on a well waxed table.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
BlackieSmith
Gold Member

Post by BlackieSmith »

Great idea.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Wow... Had not even seen that product. Gives me a number of ideas.
I don't have a SS scroll saw. I do have the regular SS jigsaw and like it pretty well for most of my needs. I lucked into a new one with one SS I bought. It hadn't even been fully assembled. It's amazing how much stuff is out there that the original buyer never used, including complete SS's.
I do have a "Tradesman" 16" scrollsaw that is exactly like a Hitachi CW-40 except for the labels. Variable speed, soft start etc. I like it well EXCEPT for the "guard/hold-down". I'm looking for a way to improve it. Actually the hold down on the SS jigsaw is better but it isn't really a guard.
One big difference in my set-up is that my back, hips and legs much prefer that I do such jobs from a seated position. :o :) I found a small low office cabinet just right for it and I have an easy rolling office chair of the type commonly called a secretary's chair. Nice soft seat and a back that fits mine just right. :cool:

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Stopped at Staples. The "only" thing they had like that was a Martha Stewart thing for $40???? Well I came back home without it tempting as it was. Didn't find the post-it tape either........ so it was pretty much a waste.

Amazon on the other hand has the same stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/GoWrite-Erase-Se ... erase+roll

So I'll just order it from them. They also have the tape my wife wants.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
moggymatt
Platinum Member

Post by moggymatt »

reible wrote:Stopped at Staples. The "only" thing they had like that was a Martha Stewart thing for $40???? Well I came back home without it tempting as it was. Didn't find the post-it tape either........ so it was pretty much a waste.

Amazon on the other hand has the same stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/GoWrite-Erase-Se ... erase+roll

So I'll just order it from them. They also have the tape my wife wants.

Ed
Sorry you wasted a trip but once you get it I think you'll like it if your using it for a lighter duty table cover. Its holding up great on the scroll saw. You'll have to share what your using it with though.
Paul B
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

and of course, always look at other o[ptions on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Prefer-Green-Sel ... XDHD6Q7NNJ

78" x 17" for 10 bucks this could be an affordable option to using HDPE or UMTW for Jigs and Fixtures. Use MDF and trim this to the sliding surface.

Lots of options here.

Not to mention an inexpensive dry erase board for the shop.

I wonder if glue pops right off as well? (Needs to be tested of course.) If so, it could be a great cover for an assembly table as well.

These look like a form of polypropylene film so regular wood working glues should pop right off once dry....