Scroll Saw blade mounting fixture replaced by upgrade?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

P89DC
Gold Member

Scroll Saw blade mounting fixture replaced by upgrade?

Post by P89DC »

I bought a older used scroll saw and it's missing the blade mounting fixture. Does the Scroll Saw Quick Clamp Upgrade replace the function of the blade mounting fixture?

Thanks,
Eric
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Scroll Saw blade mounting fixture replaced by upgrade?

Post by JPG »

P89DC wrote:I bought a older used scroll saw and it's missing the blade mounting fixture. Does the Scroll Saw Quick Clamp Upgrade replace the function of the blade mounting fixture?

Thanks,
Eric
IIUC, the Upgrade eliminates the need for the fixture. The blade clamps are no longer used.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

Thanks, I have it on order. Scroll saws are a little more complicated compared to the old jigsaw! I'm climbing up the learning curve....
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

P89DC wrote:Thanks, I have it on order. Scroll saws are a little more complicated compared to the old jigsaw! I'm climbing up the learning curve....
FWIW, the blade mounting 'fixture' is a bit of a bachelor item. Only bachelors have the time to devote to using it.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

JPG wrote:FWIW, the blade mounting 'fixture' is a bit of a bachelor item. Only bachelors have the time to devote to using it.
Sheesh, what does this mean and how does it help?

Just to put some facts into the discussion in case someone comes along and has the same question:
Older scroll saws have an archaic blade mounting systems with a support post behind the blade. I found it impossible to make this blade mounting system work correctly.

I purchased the upgrade kit and all is well. There isn't any post behind the blade and the quick release fixtures work well and allows repeatable tension settings. If you look at modern scroll saws you'll see they are the same as the newer Shopsmith scroll saw, no post behind the blade.

If you have an older scroll saw with the allen head blade attachments and the post behind the blade do yourself a favor and spend the money on the upgrade kit.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

P89DC wrote:
JPG wrote:FWIW, the blade mounting 'fixture' is a bit of a bachelor item. Only bachelors have the time to devote to using it.

Just to put some facts into the discussion in case someone comes along and has the same question:
Older scroll saws have an archaic blade mounting systems with a support post behind the blade. I found it impossible to make this blade mounting system work correctly.

I purchased the upgrade kit and all is well. There isn't any post behind the blade and the quick release fixtures work well and allows repeatable tension settings. If you look at modern scroll saws you'll see they are the same as the newer Shopsmith scroll saw, no post behind the blade.

If you have an older scroll saw with the allen head blade attachments and the post behind the blade do yourself a favor and spend the money on the upgrade kit.
I think you just answered your question! :D

BTW it can work. It is not automatic however and is fraught with opportunity for frustration.(ya gotta be smarter than the hardware :) )
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Skizzity
Gold Member

Re: RE: Re: Scroll Saw blade mounting fixture replaced by upgrade?

Post by Skizzity »

JPG wrote:
P89DC wrote:

BTW it can work. It is not automatic however and is fraught with opportunity for frustration.(ya gotta be smarter than the hardware :) )
Why so much condescension?
PowerPro Mark 7, 11" Bandsaw, 4" Jointer, 12" Professional Planer, DC3300 Dust Collector, DW745, DW718 w/ DW723 and a DW788 w/ DW7880.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. -Winston Churchill
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: RE: Re: Scroll Saw blade mounting fixture replaced by upgrade?

Post by JPG »

Skizzity wrote:
JPG wrote:
P89DC wrote: Sheesh, what does this mean and how does it help?

Why so much condescension?
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Excess sensitivity leads to mis understanding of intent.

BTW I do agree with P89DC re inadequacy of my bachelor comment. He greatly elaborated his perception of it.

I do not agree that the older mounting was inadequate, but it is a PITA.

Yes the hardware comment was harsh, but not intended to be directed only to him. We all fight it at times and it was directed to me as well.

P.S. Do pay attention to those silly emoticons. The reveal intent. :D is good natured.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

I went back and looked more closely and I think the full upgrade kit really isn't necessary. The new blade blocks are all you really need (555708). The new hold down design isn't better, it's just lower cost to manufacturer. I would remove the rear blade support and use the existing hold down. Then either cut the "Scroll Saw Arm Hood" down so that it doesn't interfere with the new blade blocks or order the new clear hood (518163). The "Scroll Saw Tension Lever" is very convenient compared to the knob and I might add that to my order (518127).

Some pictures:
Attachments
The Scroll Saw Arm Hood comparison. The old one needs to be cut back to aviod interfering with the blade block.
The Scroll Saw Arm Hood comparison. The old one needs to be cut back to aviod interfering with the blade block.
P1050835.JPG (139.5 KiB) Viewed 8319 times
Comparison of old and new hold downs. New hold down is simpler but not better.
Comparison of old and new hold downs. New hold down is simpler but not better.
P1050836.JPG (137.5 KiB) Viewed 8319 times
The rear blade support can be removed in the old hold down by removing the grub screw.
The rear blade support can be removed in the old hold down by removing the grub screw.
P1050837.JPG (140 KiB) Viewed 8319 times
Steele510
Gold Member

Post by Steele510 »

P89DC wrote:I went back and looked more closely and I think the full upgrade kit really isn't necessary. The new blade blocks are all you really need (555708). The new hold down design isn't better, it's just lower cost to manufacturer. I would remove the rear blade support and use the existing hold down. Then either cut the "Scroll Saw Arm Hood" down so that it doesn't interfere with the new blade blocks or order the new clear hood (518163). The "Scroll Saw Tension Lever" is very convenient compared to the knob and I might add that to my order (518127).

Some pictures:
Fantastic! That picture you show with both hoods side by side is exactly what I needed to see. I tried using the saw without the rear blade support, but being a rookie I think I need the ‘training wheels’ attached for now :). I am glad you followed up on this thread you started.

I have a used set of the upgraded holders on the way to me now, I now see that I will need to remove/cut the old hood to fit. Easy.

These original blade holders are a PITA as JPG said, they work but are cumbersome, especially for fret work. The installation fixture is part of my table and I do use it for the lower holder to get the blade sitting properly.

When I contacted my local SS rep All-in-One last week they said the 555706 kit is not available, and 555708 is on back order.

Thanks again for posting those pics.