New to woodworking- possible purchase

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed84
Silver Member

Re: New to woodworking- possible purchase

Post by Ed84 »

I've ripped 8/4 oak in a single cut on my mk5 510 table saw without problems. 1 1/8 hp motor. Slow feed, sharp blade. I can't speak to other wood types. You could make the 2" cut in several passes on the TS or use a bandsaw with a larger resaw blade if you find power is an issue. You'll need an outfeed support for something heavy. The extension table and tubes will help stabilize the main table when working with heavy pieces when making straight rip cuts. What you asked can be done.

What other tools do you want to use that the ss offers? If you know you only need 1-2 then stand alone might be better. That said, I've had my 510 for a year and find I'm using it more and more in ways I never expected I'd use it for. Having the options that the machine offers opens doors. The drill press mode is fantastic. I use the bandsaw several times a week. The disc sander saves a lot of time cleaning up pieces.

Ripping bevels on large pieces is not something I've had to do but can be done. There are many ways to skin a cat, as folks have pointed out. I have ripped smaller pieces at a bevel and cut compound miters without any issues.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Ed84
Silver Member

Post by Ed84 »

I've ripped 8/4 oak in a single cut on my mk5 510 table saw without problems. 1 1/8 hp motor. Slow feed, sharp blade. I can't speak to other wood types. You could make the 2" cut in several passes on the TS or use a bandsaw with a larger resaw blade if you find power is an issue. You'll need an outfeed support for something heavy. The extension table and tubes will help stabilize the main table when working with heavy pieces when making straight rip cuts. What you asked can be done.

What other tools do you want to use that the ss offers? If you know you only need 1-2 then stand alone might be better. That said, I've had my 510 for a year and find I'm using it more and more in ways I never expected I'd use it for. Having the options that the machine offers opens doors. The drill press mode is fantastic. I use the bandsaw several times a week. The disc sander saves a lot of time cleaning up pieces.

Ripping bevels on large pieces is not something I've had to do but can be done. There are many ways to skin a cat, as folks have pointed out. I have ripped smaller pieces at a bevel and cut compound miters without any issues.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
gcgrant
Bronze Member

Post by gcgrant »

Thank you for all the responses to my original question about making a bevel cut.

I had a great opportunity to visit a demonstration of the Shopsmith Mark VII at a nearby Lowes.

I asked the demonstrator and talked it over with him.
Very helpful and I enjoyed the demo.

He suggested if the piece was wide then cutting with a circular saw with and cutting guide would be appropriate.

He demoed cutting a piece at a steep angle. The Shopsmith Miter gauge made it look very safe.

Very impressed with the machine.
Beave2012
Platinum Member

Post by Beave2012 »

I will put in my opinion. I honestly love the shopsmith and have a decent amount of experience with the 520. I have not experienced the power pro yet. It does a lot of things very well.

However, in my honest opinion, I find the saw feature frustrating, if not inconvenient. It still can do all the cuts and will treat you well if you do moderate amounts of work on the saw, however I eventually got frustrated moving the table up and down rather than the blade, and tilting the table for beveled cuts is barely tolerable. Adjusting the height of the table for depth cuts changes the reference height for any out feed tables you may want to make or even dado groves with slight adjustments to deeper depths require adjustment to the whole support structure (aux tables, floating tables). It's just inconvenient. I have used the bevel cut rarely and actually purchased a miter saw just for these cuts because it's really odd cutting larger pieces. As for power, 1 1/8 hp never bogged down, but I always used a nice thin kerf blade. When I did buy my table saw after my shopsmith, it was amazing the experience and packed away all my shopsmith sawing accessories because I will never use that function again, it's no where near comparable to a good cabinet saw.

However, I still have 2x 520s and won't give them up due to the other functions. They are all great functioning, very versatile, and easy to fix yourself. However, the saw is a downside. I just can't explain how much of a difference there is between moving the blade vs the table and the experience around that.

I'm a strong advocate of shopsmith for anything but the table saw, but that's my opinion and some here may agree, or disagree.
-Beave
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

Beave2012 wrote:I will put in my opinion. I honestly love the shopsmith and have a decent amount of experience with the 520. I have not experienced the power pro yet. It does a lot of things very well.

However, in my honest opinion, I find the saw feature frustrating, if not inconvenient. It still can do all the cuts and will treat you well if you do moderate amounts of work on the saw, however I eventually got frustrated moving the table up and down rather than the blade, and tilting the table for beveled cuts is barely tolerable. Adjusting the height of the table for depth cuts changes the reference height for any out feed tables you may want to make or even dado groves with slight adjustments to deeper depths require adjustment to the whole support structure (aux tables, floating tables). It's just inconvenient. I have used the bevel cut rarely and actually purchased a miter saw just for these cuts because it's really odd cutting larger pieces. As for power, 1 1/8 hp never bogged down, but I always used a nice thin kerf blade. When I did buy my table saw after my shopsmith, it was amazing the experience and packed away all my shopsmith sawing accessories because I will never use that function again, it's no where near comparable to a good cabinet saw.

However, I still have 2x 520s and won't give them up due to the other functions. They are all great functioning, very versatile, and easy to fix yourself. However, the saw is a downside. I just can't explain how much of a difference there is between moving the blade vs the table and the experience around that.

I'm a strong advocate of shopsmith for anything but the table saw, but that's my opinion and some here may agree, or disagree.
This really is all true. It was pointed out to my early in my learning curve, that SS is a hobbyist machine and not designed to be a production type of saw. When I first heard that (I believe from Dusty) it kind of put me back on my heels. But after further consideration, I totally understand what was being said. Yes, you have to adjust out and in feed support when height changes are made and the bevel cuts are "different". Does that mean that the cuts aren't good, of course not, just takes more time to make a particular cut, hence the "hobbyist" comment. It is not that it can't do the work we need it to do, it just is not as convenient. I totally understand Beav's point of view, I have just learned to not let all of the "adjustments" bother me. Then when you add all of the SPT's available to us, all working of the same machine, the perspective changes from hobbyist, to it can do anything, it just becomes a question of how do I configure this thing to do it..... :)

JMHO
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I must reiterate! The Shopsmith is quite capable of performing table saw tasks...BUT...not in a production environment where time is $$$$$.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Beave2012
Platinum Member

Post by Beave2012 »

dusty wrote:I must reiterate! The Shopsmith is quite capable of performing table saw tasks...BUT...not in a production environment where time is $$$$$.
Fully agree that all the cuts are done and done well. I will say that even outside production though it can be annoying though. I am a hobbyist and made room for a cabinet saw, but if space couldn't be found, the shopsmith could have done the job. Quality and ability to complete cuts is a B+ (the limit on bevels stops it from an A), but the saw functions convenience and setup get a C (more creative setups possible than a standard table saw however).

This is not to say it's a bad product. Overall it's great, but it does have it's aggravations. I say use it for it's saw and then if it annoys you like it did me, augment it with a secondary table saw purchase. But, give it a good year (as hobbyist) to live it, research how to set it up properly, and then see if it's worth it. I had mine for 3 years now (just starting woodworking then as well) and just bought a cabinet saw to upgrade my experience and Love it. However my first few years I had little issue with the table saw function. I didn't need to add a cabinet saw, but LOVE LOVE LOVE my new cabinet saw with a 52" extension and rip fence. There is no comparison in how much more I love how this thing works. However it also cost me $3500, and would likely give a different tune if it was a $600 DeWalt worksite saw. I would likely keep the sawstop over small saws like that.

Again, just my opinion as a hobbyist, but I give the truth in my experience, you decide what's right for you.
-Beave
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I understand your attraction to a cabinet saw. I have long wanted a Delta Unisaw but have never had the space for one. As long as you do have room you most likely never regret the decision. Now that I am further downsizing I have to give even my current shop more though.

My problem though is not the Shopsmith gear, it is rather the "other stuff" that I keep and how I keep it.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I have had my SS for about 20 years now. I gave up a job site table saw for it and do not regret it. I added a compound miter saw after about 8 years of using it and have just recently added a track saw to help break down large panels. I have cut full 3/4' x 4' x 8' panels on it with help to lift them due to size and height of the saw.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I agree with Beav and Dusty. If you buy a Mk7 you will not be disappointed. Yes there is setup time but but unless you are doing it for a living that is not a factor. I have 5-510’s and a Mk7 and love them. With the Mk7 you will have few limitations. If you have the money I highly recommend getting the bandsaw, jointer and beltsander to start with. With that combo you will be able to produce just about any piece of furniture or cabinets you can dream up. I have picked up all the 510’s with all those accessories at a max of $500 each. The Mk 7 is a 510 that I purchased all the upgrades for. Two of them were brand New and never been completely assembled. If you have the room picking up additional used ones really makes life easy and a great way to acquire the accessories you need. As Beav said having a dedicated cabinet saw in conjunction with a Mk7 makes for a great shop. It does not add to your capabilities but makes things convenient. Space wise the SS beats everything hands down. If you are setting up shop in a one car garage or smaller it is the only way to go. If you have a two car garage available then you have the room to have a few dedicated tools. Keep in mind that the tools do not make the craftsman great. They make it more convenient. People like Chippendale were making some of the greatest pieces ever made with only hand tools.
Paul