question on 2 bearing quill

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rpd
Platinum Member

Re: question on 2 bearing quill

Post by rpd »

Just to clarify, for those who didn't follow the link to the main Shopsmith page, the plastic piece being referred to above is not the splined coupler on the drive sleeve, but rather the large white cone on the back side of the quill shown in the picture below.

I suspect it is a dust shield.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Post by rcplaneguy »

rpd wrote:Just to clarify, for those who didn't follow the link to the main Shopsmith page, the plastic piece being referred to above is not the splined coupler on the drive sleeve, but rather the large white cone on the back side of the quill shown in the picture below.

That sure looks like the splined coupler, but turned around backward for shipping perhaps?
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

rcplaneguy wrote:
rpd wrote:Just to clarify, for those who didn't follow the link to the main Shopsmith page, the plastic piece being referred to above is not the splined coupler on the drive sleeve, but rather the large white cone on the back side of the quill shown in the picture below.

That sure looks like the splined coupler, but turned around backward for shipping perhaps?
That makes sense, I've never seen said coupler in person, (none of mine are new enough to have one ) and the ones I have seen in pictures are always mounted on the drive sleeve.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rpd wrote:
rcplaneguy wrote:

That makes sense, I've never seen said coupler in person, (none of mine are new enough to have one ) and the ones I have seen in pictures are always mounted on the drive sleeve.
Yes it is flipped on the shaft. The big end attaches to the drive sleeve.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (350.47 KiB) Viewed 10415 times
The coupler IS included with the E-Bay quill.

There is only one M5/V quill shaft spline. Earlier Gilmer and 10's had splines(fewer) in the drive sleeve and the nylon thingie on the gilmer version was indeed a dust cap.

The shape of the coupler has changed over the years. A notable variation is the MVII. It needs to go into the quill body more than the rest, so the coupler has a smaller od.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
moggymatt
Platinum Member

Post by moggymatt »

dusty wrote:
Hobbyman2 wrote:Looks like I am #17 on the order list , also salesman said he wasnt sure about the plastic piece on the tail end , will see when it gets here .
I do believe that the plastic piece (splined coupler) is not going to come with the quill. You are going to need one if you don't already have one. Be aware, the splined couplers are not all the same. It will depend on how old your quill is.

How many splines on your old quill? That might be tell tale.
My last 2 bearing upgrade came with the plastic coupler.
Paul B
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Now it makes sense why they say it can be done in less then a hr , looks like the old one has to come off first .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)