Not SS but maintenance advice needed

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fiatben
Platinum Member

wasn't always that way

Post by fiatben »

This "shop" started life as a fish hatchery next to the springs behind our house, sitting on a sloped concrete floor with a drainage channel down the middle. When the fish business dried up (so to speak), it was pulled up on dry land and used as a hay barn for years. Then the cattle business drifted off, and it became a storage building for many more years. My dad was about to tear it down because he didn't like looking at it in front of the house, but I convinced him to let me use it. I scraped out the floor of hay, manure, dead stuff, junk, and rocks, levelled it up and poured a concrete floor, repaired the leaking roof, killed out the termites before they brought it down, and moved my car stuff in. The barn/hatchery/shop is only 20 x 40' so I'm not sure that really qualifies as a barn as much as an outbuilding or large shed, but it's what I got and I'm thankful for it.

[ATTACH]14637[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14638[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Barn082905_0341.JPG
Barn082905_0341.JPG (250.6 KiB) Viewed 7344 times
NewBarnElectric (6).JPG
NewBarnElectric (6).JPG (94.56 KiB) Viewed 7342 times
'55 Greenie #292284 (Mar-55), '89 SS 510 #020989, Mark VII #408551 (sold 10/14/12), SS Band Saw, (SS 500 #36063 (May-79) now gone to son-in-law as of 11-11), Magna bandsaw, Magna jointer 16185 (May-54), Magna belt sander SS28712 (Dec-82), Magna jigsaw SS4397 (Dec-78), SS biscuit joiner, Zyliss (knockoff) vise, 20+ hand planes, 60s Craftsman tablesaw, CarbaTec mini-lathe, and the usual pile of tools. Hermit of the Hills Woodworks, a hillbilly in the foothills of the Ozarks, scraping by.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Not SS but maintenance advice needed

Post by everettdavis »

Please post a photo of the welder and a good shot of the data plate with model and serial

I will reach out to a guy who might have a manual he could scan to PDF for you.

Everett
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Hi Ben:
What follows is some real world common sense been there, done that, skating along the edge closer to economy advice... Some of you that are faint of heart may want to skip this one. :p :p :p

Take this for what it's worth and use common sense to adjust it where needed to be safe.
First is the easy part. Go to Lowes if you have one and spend $25... They carry a very good book called "Wiring a House" by Rex Cauldwell. Described as "For Pros, By pros". It presents about everything you need to know by presenting the NEC in an easy to understand format talking about not just what code is but even more about why code is what it is... My copy is a little older (4th edition) but the one I recently bought my son was the 5th edition. It's the same book but has an added chapter covering protecting modern electronic devices.
While the author does from time to time recommend wiring "above code" in certain cases, he is not big on foolishly wasting money on the unneeded over-kill sometimes common to amateurs with money to spend.
If you need to keep cost as low as absolutely possible then you need to understand the basics so you can make an educated decision on where you can shave a little and where cutting a corner might be too risky. I have dozens of wiring books in my library , some recentish and some dating back to the 1950's. This one is better than all of them put together as far as conventional house wiring goes.

I started learning to weld about 1954 and building farm and shop electrical equipment about the same time. One of the great things about the old 4-H electric program of those days was that if you pushed the edge of the program over about 10 years you could have a number of decent long lasting powered shop tools.
About 1954 my father was selling Lincoln welders and held company sponsored basic stick welding adult classes. In the late 1950's he and I conducted the city high school adult education welding program. Most of the classes were farmers and contractors. I also worked with the adult machine shop classes. I really loved working with adult education programs, "everybody" wanted to learn all they could, unlike many of the high school students. :rolleyes: :)
As far as wire gauge goes read this thread, especially post #9:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/weld ... nsion.html
If you look at new 225 amp buzz-box stick welders (common at farm stores) you will be surprised at how light the input power cord really is even though it has that big 50 amp "range" plug on it.
A note on the 10 gauge extension cord... Do not run 10 gauge for it and enclose it in a wall or similar. It must be exposed to open air to avoid heat buildup. My welder runs on 6 gauge wire but 8 gauge would run it fine as long as you are not spending hours trying to weld at maximum amperage. Base model welder manuals will always warn you about observing "duty cycles".
Remember that the ground wire of the power feed is just as important as the hot wires for safety. If you can do so without ringing any bells or setting off alarms you might want to check with someone (do you have any local electrician friends?) to see if your local codes (not NEC) have any odd-ball special handling of grounds etc. different from NEC.
I can't wire in a service in this county without having a licensed electrician sign off on it (but farmers do usually get a lot of leeway on farm buildings as long as you don't do sloppy work). In the next county over I can wire about anything legally. That county has been so poor for quite a while that they don't even have an electrical inspector any more. When I recently replaced the breaker box in the rental house I just called the power company and they came out and pulled the meter and opened the breaker at the transformer. After I was done I called them again and their one guy who "sort of" inspects stuff came out, looked at the box, complimented me on it, and connected it back to them. No permits, nothing.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

6 year old thread revived by a spammer!
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

roy_okc wrote:6 year old thread revived by a spammer!
Personally I thank the spammer for causing further comments. :cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

What makes him a spammer?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

beeg wrote:
I can 'see' at least three reasons to conclude that.

Initial post

Commercial e-mail address

link to totally irrelevant site
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:
beeg wrote:

Initial post

I don't see the link to which you refer but this "spammer" has posted here 735 times. I doubt "spammer". If this is spam, both you and I have responded to his numerous posts numerous times.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

dusty wrote:
I don't see the link to which you refer but this "spammer" has posted here 735 times. I doubt "spammer". If this is spam, both you and I have responded to his numerous posts numerous times.
Dusty,

Look at michellemacdroff's post. 1 post, first and only, on 11 Jan 2018, has link that says Transmission Repair, points to "aluminumrepair" web site. FiatBen was last poster in this thread prior to that, on 31 Oct 2011.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

dusty wrote:
JPG wrote:
beeg wrote: What makes him a spammer?

Initial post

The offending post is this one. ;)
michellemacdroff wrote:I suggest you to go through the internet search. There are many websites available on the internet where you can find the best result. Or you can take an expert's advice also.

Transmission Repair
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,