Which ShopSmith model do you use in your shop

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

What model ShopSmith are you currently using

Mark 7...........RLF dba Shopsmith
10%
10%
8%
8%
8%
13%
8%
12%
15%
8%

Total votes: 822

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Which ShopSmith model do you use in your shop

Post by JPG »

Plaiter208 wrote:
JPG wrote:
Plaiter208 wrote:Mine isn’t listed in the survey :confused:

Just kidding, it’s the red headed step child Mark 2 I picked up as scrap. It came with the table saw and jig saw attachments and had some damage from being knocked over.

The jig is a ‘55 and the headstock is a ‘58-ish, except it’s had the motor replaced by a balador 1/2 hp. I figured it would be worth fixing up and using as a table saw and lathe for turning whip handles in my spare time.

Although I recently saw a Mark V with a TON of SPT’s for a couple hundred bucks. I still might go for it but I’ve got to make room for it first ;)
There is nothing wrong with either a Mark 2 or a red headed step child! :D

If there’s nothing wrong with a mark 2 then how come it’s not in the survey? ;)

You know how to handle the temperament of a red head?

Gingerly. :D
An inadvertent omission! :o Left Mark 1 out also(since only 2 have ever been made and only 1 known to still exist).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I have what has been upgraded to a Model 7 from a Model 510 to start with.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
Plaiter208
Silver Member

Post by Plaiter208 »

JPG wrote:
An inadvertent omission! :o Left Mark 1 out also(since only 2 have ever been made and only 1 known to still exist).

Any idea how many 2’s were made? They were only in production a couple years but I can’t find ANYTHING for parts and pieces. I’ve read that some of the Mark 5 stuff will fit but I’d rather not find out the hard way.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Plaiter208 wrote:
JPG wrote:

Any idea how many 2’s were made? They were only in production a couple years but I can’t find ANYTHING for parts and pieces. I’ve read that some of the Mark 5 stuff will fit but I’d rather not find out the hard way.
The way tubes are the same. From there any Mark 5/V stuff will work. It is only if you are a purist and only want original M2 stuff that parts become a problem.

M2 parts do appear on E-bay occasionally. I have acquired many parts that way to 'round out' the missing stuff.

I would not however obtain headstock parts. Too easy to just replace it with a M5/V headstock.

But then I do not now nor ever had a M2 headstock.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Plaiter208
Silver Member

Post by Plaiter208 »

JPG wrote:
The way tubes are the same. From there any Mark 5/V stuff will work. It is only if you are a purist and only want original M2 stuff that parts become a problem.

M2 parts do appear on E-bay occasionally. I have acquired many parts that way to 'round out' the missing stuff.

I would not however obtain headstock parts. Too easy to just replace it with a M5/V headstock.

But then I do not now nor ever had a M2 headstock.
That’s good to know. So far none of the sellers I’ve found online are willin to sell just certain parts. They want me to buy all or nothing. Which makes sense, but I’m not at the stage to have multiple Smith’s set up... yet!
Plaiter208
Silver Member

Post by Plaiter208 »

Ok, I’m OFFICIALLY changing my survey response!

I don’t mean to brag but I just had a MASSIVE stroke of luck. I saw a craigslist post for a mark V with a bunch of accessories for $275. It looked to be in pretty good shape (from the pictures) for being so cheap so I had to bite. I text the guy and he calls me up and says “it’s yours, when can you be here?” So I made arrangements and go meet the guy.

I show up and my first thought is “that’s a funny stand for a 5”. He says “so like it said in the ad, I think it needs a new bearing. I’ve only had it 9 months and only used it as a sanding station but it takes up more room than I would like. He plugs it in and we crank it up and he’s running the speed selector up and down. Then it makes a thumping/cracking sound and he shuts it off. “It’s never done that before!”

Try it again, no weird noises. He’s kind of stressed by the weird sound at this point and says “well, maybe it’s in worse shape than I thought, shoot me an offer.”

How bout $200? Deal. Counted out the cash and loaded it all up. Started down the road and my wife was like “so, was it a good deal?” I said “let’s get a little further away before we talk about it.” She gets nervous. I say “the ad said a Mark V, right? This guy had NO IDEA what he had. I just paid $200 for a Mark freaking 7!” Typical wife response “that’s good right?”

Yes dear, that’s the same model and accessories we saw posted for $700.

YEA BABY! Mark VII in the shop!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Anxiously awaiting pix! ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Plaiter208
Silver Member

Post by Plaiter208 »

Here’s some pics of it. I have to figure out how to resize the others so they fit...
Attachments
588CD24B-79D4-4616-89D1-4F0A5E337C11.jpeg
588CD24B-79D4-4616-89D1-4F0A5E337C11.jpeg (39.3 KiB) Viewed 13248 times
72B692F4-B35E-4AD9-807C-03A5E559C8BC.jpeg
72B692F4-B35E-4AD9-807C-03A5E559C8BC.jpeg (121.34 KiB) Viewed 13248 times
601015A6-4802-4207-B76E-8065F988742C.jpeg
601015A6-4802-4207-B76E-8065F988742C.jpeg (192.37 KiB) Viewed 13248 times
6258C5F9-35A2-4CEE-A132-8339EFA47A88.jpeg
6258C5F9-35A2-4CEE-A132-8339EFA47A88.jpeg (77.43 KiB) Viewed 13248 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

An interesting 'mix'. Greenie miter gauge and a Mark 5 shaper fence. I know not what the saw guard fits.

Do determine the cause of the noises before running it much.

Pay close attention to the speed cam etc..

I do not 'see' the vac housing. I also notice the addition of a hinge to the front(?) cover.

Do perform PM first.

Good Luck with your good fortune. Treat er as a fine heirloom so you wife will have been a prophet(That's good right?).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Plaiter208
Silver Member

Post by Plaiter208 »

I haven’t messed with the attachments much. I didn’t see the blade guard with what he had but he saved my number in case he found anything else he thinks might go with it. It needed a good cleaning before I did anything else (pretty sure that’s why he thought it was a V instead of a VII) so I went from that to taking apart the head to find the noise.

I think I know what happened. The slight “rumble” it had that he thought was a bearing was a misalignment on the shieve between the pulley shaft and pork chop of the speed control. When he went to adjust the speed to show me it worked, the shieve popped off and made the sound like a rock bouncing in a wheel well.

The inside of the housing was pretty well caked in sawdust and there was almost no grease left on the pork chop. Have yet to see anything that recommends what kind of grease to use, just to make sure it is “well lubricated” every 10 hours.

I need to get some paste wax for the way tubes anyway so a tub of multipurpose grease is on my list as well.