1 5/8 hole in end grain

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

oldc6
Gold Member

1 5/8 hole in end grain

Post by oldc6 »

Making some tea light holders. Need 1 5/8 hole drilled in end grain
Cannot find a spade bit that size. Forstner bit does not work very well.
So, drill with 1 5/8 hole saw, and cleanup with 1 1/2 spade bit......
Attachments
IMG_4447.JPG
IMG_4447.JPG (99.37 KiB) Viewed 14626 times
IMG_4446.JPG
IMG_4446.JPG (90.27 KiB) Viewed 14626 times
IMG_4449.JPG
IMG_4449.JPG (89.36 KiB) Viewed 14626 times
IMG_4450.JPG
IMG_4450.JPG (82.88 KiB) Viewed 14626 times
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Re: 1 5/8 hole in end grain

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Use what works for you, but a sharp forstener bit cuts well for me. Had. To watch a few videos on how to sharpen one...
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

I'll echo Chris's statement about forstner bits. Turners use them all the time in end grain, but they do need to be sharp.

Mike
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

A good friend has Forstner bits that have a wavy?? roller coaster like outside edge. :confused: His grandson got them for him in Germany (stationed there). I presume they are pricey but dang they cut nice. :p :D . They don’t wander in end grain AT ALL!! and make a very smooth side cut. Not sure how he’ll sharpen them (neither is he :o ).

This is probably not at all pertinent to this discussion or the original post :o , but thought I might share.

Be well,
Ben
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

There are a number of YouTube videos on sharpening forstner bits. If you are drilling end grain oak the bit will need it. It’s pretty easy using diamond stones if you have them but 150 and 220 grit sandpaper on a flat surface works fine also.
Paul
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

benush26 wrote:A good friend has Forstner bits that have a wavy?? roller coaster like outside edge. :confused: His grandson got them for him in Germany (stationed there). I presume they are pricey but dang they cut nice. :p :D . They don’t wander in end grain AT ALL!! and make a very smooth side cut. Not sure how he’ll sharpen them (neither is he :o ).

Be well,
Ben
He's probably talking about Famag. And yes, they're pricey! A 1 5/8" is about $50 at Woodcraft - or spring for the set of 13 for $460 :eek: .
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

I have the Colt Maxi Cut forstner bits, also from Germany, and also expensive, but not as expensive as the Famag.

http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/m ... r_bits.htm

Mike
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I have an Austrian set made by Fisch that are coming this month. They are expensive but Woodpeckers had a pre-order sale back in August. It is the 16 piece set that is now listed on the Woodpeckers site for $420. Back in August you could pre-order them for $299 and free shipping. One of the nice things about Woodpeckers pre-orders is that if you order directly from them they do not charge your card until the item ships.

https://www.woodpeck.com/fisch-wave-cut ... -bits.html
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jsburger wrote:I have an Austrian set made by Fisch that are coming this month. They are expensive but Woodpeckers had a pre-order sale back in August. It is the 16 piece set that is now listed on the Woodpeckers site for $420. Back in August you could pre-order them for $299 and free shipping. One of the nice things about Woodpeckers pre-orders is that if you order directly from them they do not charge your card until the item ships.

That applies equally to Shopsmith.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:
jsburger wrote:I have an Austrian set made by Fisch that are coming this month. They are expensive but Woodpeckers had a pre-order sale back in August. It is the 16 piece set that is now listed on the Woodpeckers site for $420. Back in August you could pre-order them for $299 and free shipping. One of the nice things about Woodpeckers pre-orders is that if you order directly from them they do not charge your card until the item ships.

That applies equally to Shopsmith.
Yes it certainly does.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT