Mark V Motor Wiring

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

donl
Bronze Member

Mark V Motor Wiring

Post by donl »

I have a mark V around 1982 model. The problem is the motor is running in reverse. I bought it a couple of years ago and never used it, the man that had it never used it because the motor wouldn't run. A wire was broken loose on the motor somewhere and some electric motor repair place fixed it. It runs fine but in reverse. There are 2 black wires and 2 red wires coming out of the motor and they are wired black to red and then to the on/off switch. There is no wiring diagram that I can find and I don't want to mess something up by just switching wires with out knowing and I have to put all back together each time to try it. Can anyone out there share any knowledge they have that would help me out? I was thinking of keeping the wires the same color, black to red but switching them, I'm not much on electrical stuff so I don't know. Thanks for any help. DONL
jimthej
Gold Member

Motor wiring

Post by jimthej »

I just finished replacing the power cord on my '64 model. It has the metal toggle switch. The instructions said the black wire from the power cord and the black wire from the motor go to the left side of the switch as you look through the access hole at the back of the switch. The white wire from the power cord and the white (in your case red) wire from the motor would go to the right side of the switch. You might verify that the motor is a Shopsmith motor, that could be a cause for off color wiring. Another cause for odd colors would be if the capacitor has been replaced. Have fun.
jimthej
Gold Member

Post by jimthej »

Here is a link to the Switch replacement instructions for the new model switch. http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/prod ... Switch.pdf
wurlitzerwilly
Gold Member

Post by wurlitzerwilly »

donl wrote:I have a mark V around 1982 model. The problem is the motor is running in reverse.
Having just looked at the link to replacing the switch, I don't think that this will help you. Of course the switch should be wired correctly, but even if it isn't it won't affect the rotation direction of the motor.
It is unlikely that it is not a Shopsmith motor as the SS one is made exclusively for them and is a 'special' in terms of its shaft etc. It could be that the motor has been re-wound at some time.

UNPLUG and isolate FIRST.
The principle's the same for all induction motors of this type.
What you need to do is to reverse the relationship of the 'start' winding to the 'run' winding. To do this, firstly remove the cover on the motor and you should find two main terminals (either posts or spades) each with two wires coming from the inside of the motor connected to them. (Make a careful note of how they are connected in case you get it wrong, then you can revert to the same starting point). These are the connections to the motor start and run windings. Each winding should be marked with a different color. e.g. Two reds and two blacks, where two reds would be one winding and two blacks for the other winding. You need to reverse any ONE PAIR on the terminals. If there is also a pair of wires leading to a capacitor, leave them where they are.

You can't do damage by getting them wrong. The motor will either run in one direction or the other or will not even attempt to run. It's a bit of a PITA to test these motors inside the headstock and my suggestion is that you set up a bench vise or "workmate" with wooden jaws and gently grip the motor just enough that it can't jump free when it starts. Just in case there is a serious fault inside the motor or the ground connection is not made properly when you test it, ALWAYS stand away from the motor and keep one hand permanently in your pocket and needless to say, keep kids and pets well away! Preferably switch on at the wall outlet.

If in doubt, I suggest that you call the Shopsmith Tech. Support guys. They should be able to talk you through it. They're on 1-800-762-7555 or 937-898-6070 Extension 376 and are available Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM, & Saturday from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM (All times are Eastern).
There is also an e-mail link on their website.
Regards,

Alan.
www.theatreorgans.co.uk
www.virtualtheatreorgans.com
Admin: UKShopsmiths Group
Theatre Pipe Organ Builder
ShopSmith V520 + Power Pro
donl
Bronze Member

Mark V running in reverse

Post by donl »

Thanks for all the help. To be on the safe side, I did contact shopsmith and talked to a tech man which was zero help. He suggested that I send the unit to the factory which about blew my mind. After I explained what was going on he said I have no idea of what you are talking about. I also called around the area to find an electric motor repair shop with no luck, it seems like the only two guys that did work on them are deceased and nobody carried on for them. To make a long story longer I took Wurlitzerwilly's advice and switched the 4 wires around with out taking the motor completely out. Yesterday when I had the motor unscrewed from the mounting pan I shifted the wires slightly so I might be able to reach them by just unscrewing the pan from upper housing and remove the wire nuts and switch or reverse the black wires. It turned out to be a successful repair and the machine is running in the correct direction. I'm thrilled and glad there are smart people in this world that spend the time to help their fellow man. Thanks Again, donl:) :)
wurlitzerwilly
Gold Member

Post by wurlitzerwilly »

donl wrote:................I took Wurlitzerwilly's advice and switched the 4 wires around with out taking the motor completely out. Yesterday when I had the motor unscrewed from the mounting pan I shifted the wires slightly so I might be able to reach them by just unscrewing the pan from upper housing and remove the wire nuts and switch or reverse the black wires. It turned out to be a successful repair and the machine is running in the correct direction. I'm thrilled and glad there are smart people in this world that spend the time to help their fellow man. Thanks Again, donl:) :)
Don.
Pleased to be of some use. Somewhere back in the annals of history I must have learned something from my teenage days, working for pocket money in my uncle's electrical store. :)

Shame the SS guys couldn't help, but then thinking about it Shopsmith are not in the motor repair business and buy motors in for their requirements. They either work or don't work and would be sent back to the supplier under warranty, not repaired, so I doubt SS Tech. has ever had to deal with the problem.

I'm not so good at drawing so I did a quick search on Google and the best I could come up with is at:
http://power.mcmaster.ca/szabados/cours ... motors.pdf
which gives an explanation of what goes on, although it doesn't give specific instructions on how to reverse a 1 phase motor.

Glad it worked out for you Don.
Regards,

Alan.
www.theatreorgans.co.uk
www.virtualtheatreorgans.com
Admin: UKShopsmiths Group
Theatre Pipe Organ Builder
ShopSmith V520 + Power Pro