Difference between the Incra and shopsmith cross cut

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

pilvr83
Gold Member

Difference between the Incra and shopsmith cross cut

Post by pilvr83 »

I have the ShopSmith Cross Cut Sliding Table (555535) and the aux table (555526).

I saw today that ShopSmith has the Incra Miter Express (556026) on sale.

Is the only difference between the two is that "mine" can cut large boards while the Incra is mainly for smaller pieces?

I am tempted to purchase the Incra but want to find out from you experts if it would be a waste of money for something I already have.

Is the Icra more of a small parts sled?

I found out that I should not cut small pieces on the sliding table as in my case some became projectiles.

Thanks,

Greg
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Difference between the Incra and shopsmith cross cut

Post by dusty »

I don't have the Incra Miter Express but with regard to cutting small pieces, I don't see why either sled could not be used. The Incra in itself is certainly not going to eliminate the possibility of cutoffs becoming projectiles.

As for buying an Incra being a waste of money, I don't think so. Incra equipment is quality in all respects and having the accuracy of the Incra Miter Gauge is a definite plus.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
GoNavy
Gold Member

Post by GoNavy »

I rarely use the table saw to cut small pieces these days. Took me a few minutes to find this old video, hadn't watched it a few years, long video and the guys is a little long winded, but it is an excellent video on cutting small pieces safely, his whole series is pretty good if you have the time to watch, but you do have to wade threw a lot to get to the beneficial stuff, which is the principal of making small cuts. I still use many of his concepts, especially the measure sticks, and double faced tape..lol..worth a watch, his second video gets around to table saw cuts also good video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knotpj60bsk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmGiO5lPS1I
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The shopsmith sled can be used to cut smaller parts but you have to plan ahead and make some adjustments to how you do it as it is in incorporated into the design as it comes from shopsmith. You are also limited to what angles are native to the sled. Yes there are work a rounds for that too but again not from the factory.

The express sled takes a shopsmith miter gauge or the Incra V120 that shopsmith sells and you are not limited by those gauges. I have the top of the line Incra miter gauge mounted on mine. You can set it to .1 degree increments........

The express is also designed to take different hold downs, Incra sells some or you can get them from different sources or make your own. That makes it easier to work with small pieces.

The other option is shown in this thread:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... orts#p3789

It is an almost free solution to small parts using scrap wood to make and once worn out it easy to make a new one, and of course you can change things around to fit your needs.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
pilvr83
Gold Member

Post by pilvr83 »

GoNavy wrote:I rarely use the table saw to cut small pieces these days. Took me a few minutes to find this old video, hadn't watched it a few years, long video and the guys is a little long winded, but it is an excellent video on cutting small pieces safely, his whole series is pretty good if you have the time to watch, but you do have to wade threw a lot to get to the beneficial stuff, which is the principal of making small cuts. I still use many of his concepts, especially the measure sticks, and double faced tape..lol..worth a watch, his second video gets around to table saw cuts also good video

Thank you, I will watch the video's. In case you have not figured me out by now...I am in the beginning stages of learning this craft!! I need all the help I can get.
pilvr83
Gold Member

Post by pilvr83 »

reible wrote:The shopsmith sled can be used to cut smaller parts but you have to plan ahead and make some adjustments to how you do it as it is in incorporated into the design as it comes from shopsmith. You are also limited to what angles are native to the sled. Yes there are work a rounds for that too but again not from the factory.

The express sled takes a shopsmith miter gauge or the Incra V120 that shopsmith sells and you are not limited by those gauges. I have the top of the line Incra miter gauge mounted on mine. You can set it to .1 degree increments........

The express is also designed to take different hold downs, Incra sells some or you can get them from different sources or make your own. That makes it easier to work with small pieces.

The other option is shown in this thread:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... orts#p3789

It is an almost free solution to small parts using scrap wood to make and once worn out it easy to make a new one, and of course you can change things around to fit your needs.

Ed
I remember that thread. I did build one from your pictures, it worked good. Thank you.
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I have one of the SS sleds that came with one of the 510’s I bought which I have never actually used. I also had an Incra 5000 sled which I have used only occasionally. I long ago cannibalized the Incra for the fence and the miter bar which are both excellent. The problem I have with both is the sled is made of 1/2” material which makes it difficult to screw a hold down to. For cutting small pieces a hold down is mandatory for keeping all ten digits away from the blade. The one Ed built is thick enough to screw a hold down to and fits the bill for keeping the fingers attached.
Paul
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

GoNavy wrote:I rarely use the table saw to cut small pieces these days. Took me a few minutes to find this old video, hadn't watched it a few years, long video and the guys is a little long winded, but it is an excellent video on cutting small pieces safely, his whole series is pretty good if you have the time to watch, but you do have to wade threw a lot to get to the beneficial stuff, which is the principal of making small cuts. I still use many of his concepts, especially the measure sticks, and double faced tape..lol..worth a watch, his second video gets around to table saw cuts also good video

+1

Everyone who does wood working with small parts should watch these videos. Using the techniques in this video I can easily cut very small parts on a 12 inch miter saw.
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I am a third generation woodworker and was literally raised in a mill and cabinet shop. My two preceding generations were both buried with all ten fingers attached. They had one golden rule in the shop which was the 6” rule. I think I broke that rule once or twice and was pretty severely reprimanded. Their 6” rule was no fingers within 6” of anything that could separate you from body parts. If you can’t figure out how to do it keeping your fingers six inches away then you shouldn’t be doing it. Fortunately there is always a way to make a fixture or jig to hold the piece while you cut or shape a piece. Sometimes it takes a little longer to make the cut but it’s a lot shorter time than a trip to the ER ! The USN made me a RN and I spent most of my adult life working in the ER and have seen just about every stupid woodworking mistake you can make. All most all were due to breaking the 6” rule. Learning to make fixtures and jigs is the next step after measure twice and cutting once !
Paul
texan63
Bronze Member

Post by texan63 »

The Incra Miter Express is on sale again. The only comment on the S/S web site for this item (556026) states that the drop off panel is not useable, due to its miter bar adjustment bar nuts/washer make the panel sit higher than the adjacent main panel. This comment was posted in May of 2017. Have any of you owners of the Incra Miter Express found this problem? Also, what is the thickness of this product? Thanks so much for your help!
Travis
Freeport, FL