Shopsmith Bearings Guide

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Bearings Guide

Post by everettdavis »

The Shopsmith Bearings Project is completed and now publicly available at no cost in My Google Drive as “Shopsmith Bearing Guide.PDF” discussed below.

Appropriately, the thread previously titled “Shopsmith Bearings Project” has been renamed “Shopsmith Bearings Guide” and the temporary location removed. Thanks to all who assisted and encouraged me.

IN APPRECIATION

Without the help of Shopsmith Forum members John S. Burger, James Grange Sr. (JPG), Dusty, and our late friend Bill Mayo, this document would not have been possible. Each are mentors to me, and so many others.

A special thanks to John, who tirelessly proof read the content and helped me correct typos, errors, omissions, and phrasing to help clarify points.

The Home for “Shopsmith Bearing Guide” Initial Public Release is Version 1.00 Dated 15 Oct 2017.

The most current revision of it will be made public in My Google Drive which you will find linked in the post titled "Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More" in the Maintenance and Repair Shopsmith Forum at:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 90#p185690

The Restored Manuals for 10E, 10ER, Mark VII etc. also exist in folders in My Google Drive, as do extensive other documents such as “Got Rust?” that many have found useful beyond Shopsmith restorations and maintenance, as well as attached files small enough to fit in the Forum, and links to other files and discussions about them.

They are all free, and donated to the Worldwide Shopsmith Community.

What's Next?

In coming weeks I will begin a new documentation project: Shopsmith Motor Guide.

No timeline projected at this point.
Last edited by everettdavis on Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 26 times in total.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith User’s Manual of Bearings Project

Post by everettdavis »

I am looking for a photo of a 2013 or newer Mark V or Mark 7 Power Pro spindle if anyone has one they can contribute to the project.

Everett
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

everettdavis wrote:I am looking for a photo of a 2013 or newer Mark V or Mark 7 Power Pro spindle if anyone has one they can contribute to the project.

Everett
I have some time today and could pull a quill and pull it apart to get pictures and bearing info if I knew just what you wanted.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

That would be a great help. Thank you!

Everett
Last edited by everettdavis on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Rather then clutter this thread with some added information I wanted to post I stuck the information over here:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 10&t=20502

I hope that this is satisfactory.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

With ED's help above with the Power Pro Spindle, I have enough to show a concept of where I envision this going. There are just some roughed in notes presently that will be fleshed out

See the First Post in the thread
Last edited by everettdavis on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I like it. Very nice, especially the head stock pictures to define the model the quill is associated with.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I promised folks here that I would let you see how it is progressing as I work through the bearings document I am creating. I have had encouraging feedback from the collaborators in the project who will be contributing as we get further into the actual bearings themselves.

See first post for most current information.

Everett
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

UPDATE: 24 SEP 2017:

To keep project simple, for the time being I will just periodically edit the first post in this thread and put up the most current data in this Bearing Documentation Project there.

I will name the file with the date and time and replace the previous one there. This will keep the thread from getting so long and make it easier to follow.

When I change the file attached, the Shopsmith Forum Download Counter will reset to 0 downloads again.

Everett
lahola1
Gold Member

Post by lahola1 »

Looks pretty good so far Everett.

My only comment would be on page 5 you are describing the mk VII control.
then directly below that you have "replacement control sheave bearings".
Is any of this applicable to the MK VII? Are the bearings the same? What if anything does Shopsmith support on a MK VII?

It being so close to the MK VII info it seemed a little confusing to me.

I,being only a MK VII owner, would like to see as clearly as possible what works and doesn't work on my model.

Thanks for your efforts. It IS appreciated and has helped me get my MK VII running.
SS Mark VII(sn 405025), SSband saw, SS 4" jointer, Older SS Mark V w/DC treadmill motor,
Smithy SuperShop 720, Powerkraft RAS,Craftsman RAS, Ridgid TS2412 Table Saw,
Delta 12" planer