New Product

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: New Product

Post by dusty »

I have learned a new lesson. As it turns out, the charge for my New Tool has not been deducted from my account. The bank has approved it but not posted it (indicated by that (-) sign). I should have done due diligence but did not.
Capture Pending Charges.JPG
Capture Pending Charges.JPG (59.78 KiB) Viewed 15578 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jsburger wrote:
jsburger wrote:
delong94 wrote:Anyone have any comments on the new Cross-cutter?
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/specials/7DV082.htm
It looks like the Microgig Matchfit. $15 more but all metal so that is the difference.

http://www.microjig.com/products/dado-stop/

http://www.microjig.com/product/matchfit-dado-stop/

I have the Microjig Matchfit and it works extremely well. The SS jig has micro adjustment that the Microjig does not. Looks to me to be a great new item.
After looking at the SS jig I see that it does not have three projections/feet/studs like the micro jig dado-stop. I saw the 3 studs on the SS web page but didn't realize it only held two and the third one was just a different length to replace one of the other two. As such it will not cut dados as the micro-jig does. However it is still a great product and worth the price for what it does. I will order one for sure.
OK, I have posted on this already (in this thread) but I still do not understand. Why is a third stud (reference surface) required to cut dados. With only two studs, one can be positioned to cut one cheek of the dado and then the second one to cut the other cheek. Same if using a dado
blade that produces a dado that is too narrow. Adjust so that the second pass is moved only as much as the dado is too narrow.

Maybe I'll understand completely when my New Tool arrives and I have had a chance to use it.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:
jsburger wrote:
jsburger wrote:
It looks like the Microgig Matchfit. $15 more but all metal so that is the difference.

http://www.microjig.com/products/dado-stop/

http://www.microjig.com/product/matchfit-dado-stop/

I have the Microjig Matchfit and it works extremely well. The SS jig has micro adjustment that the Microjig does not. Looks to me to be a great new item.
After looking at the SS jig I see that it does not have three projections/feet/studs like the micro jig dado-stop. I saw the 3 studs on the SS web page but didn't realize it only held two and the third one was just a different length to replace one of the other two. As such it will not cut dados as the micro-jig does. However it is still a great product and worth the price for what it does. I will order one for sure.
OK, I have posted on this already (in this thread) but I still do not understand. Why is a third stud (reference surface) required to cut dados. With only two studs, one can be positioned to cut one cheek of the dado and then the second one to cut the other cheek. Same if using a dado
blade that produces a dado that is too narrow. Adjust so that the second pass is moved only as much as the dado is too narrow.

Maybe I'll understand completely when my New Tool arrives and I have had a chance to use it.
With the match-fit the third stud lets you set the other two studs to cut the shoulders to the exact width of the thickness of the stock you are using. You don't set it with a ruler you use the the actual stock so you get a perfect width dado the first time. You don't have to fool around with chippers and shims on a dado blade and it's associated test cuts to get the proper width.

I use my Forrest box joint blades set to 1/4" and cut the shoulders then nibble away the rest. Yes it takes more than one pass but it is still faster because the setup time is dead easy and quick.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Here is where you can watch a video of the microjig matchfit. I have one of these and it is well thought out and designed. You do have to get the touch right but so do you with things like the Incra i-box. Since I have one of these I did not order the new shopsmith toy.... but it would be interesting to see how that works when compared to one of these jigs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqpiXmiiobM

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kNQd69Cjts

I think you need to watch both......

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I hope the videos explained the purpose of the third(non-adjustable) 'stop'.

One adjustment sets the dado kerf width reference.

The second adjustment sets the groove width automatically taking the dado kerf width into account so the groove width can be set using the piece to be inserted into the groove.

It requires the resultant groove width to be greater than the dado and also requires more than one pass.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:I hope the videos explained the purpose of the third(non-adjustable) 'stop'.

One adjustment sets the dado kerf width reference.

The second adjustment sets the groove width automatically taking the dado kerf width into account so the groove width can be set using the piece to be inserted into the groove.

It requires the resultant groove width to be greater than the dado and also requires more than one pass.
Yes, I do understand. I achieve that same setup on my Mark V by carefully moving the rip fence so that it touches the blade (the teeth not the body). With the rip fence in that location, I set the magnetic ruler to zero. The left face of the face is now calibrated to the right side of the kerf.

By doing this, I have achieved the same as when the #3 reference surface (the fixed reference on the Matchfit) touches the blade. Thus no need for the third screw in the new tool.

The difference between the two screw stops on the Shopsmith Cross-Cutter (when properly adjusted) equals the desired width of the dado (taking kerf width into consideration). If these screw stops are not set accurately enough, the Cross-Cutter provides a means to tweak either setting.

I have not received my Cross-Cutter yet but I do believe that both the Cross-Cutter and the Matchfit will perform equally well at their assigned tasks. I chose the Cross-Cutter primarily because it is "micro-adjustable".

Shopsmith should really take Peachtrees lead and post a video that depicts the virtues of the Cross-Cutter.

That's my position and I am sticking to it!
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Why a Video about the New Product (Cross-Cutter)

Post by dusty »

Capture Cross-Cutter.JPG
Capture Cross-Cutter.JPG (103.59 KiB) Viewed 15491 times
IMO a video is needed to explain 1) Cut Out Perfections in a Snap, 2) Cut two dados in the same board, 3) True up any variations in plywood for a precise fit and 4) Creating a Double Spline joint.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: A Tweaking Tool for My Shopsmith Cross-Cutter

Post by dusty »

I have yet to receive it but I am preparing to use it and tune it.
Attachments
Tweaking Tool 002.jpg
Tweaking Tool 002.jpg (935.65 KiB) Viewed 15486 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Hallelujah, it shipped. No tracking number but at least the posted status changed.

Maybe next week I will know if this was a wise purchase or not.
Capture Cross-Cutter Shipped.JPG
Capture Cross-Cutter Shipped.JPG (29.67 KiB) Viewed 15453 times
I am a bit puzzled about it having been shipped and yet the tracking # is not available. I thought that assigning a tracking # was the very first act a carrier performed upon receiving a package.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

If the carrier is the Post Office, only priority mail is tracked, and loosley at that. They could learn a great deal from UPS and FedEx, both of which have superb tracking systems.
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe