The Joy of Recycling

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

nuhobby wrote:Well, I can finally quit tripping over the mess in the shop. The desk is done and it's in mother-in-law's room now.

Since last time I added the retaining magnets, some used plywood as a back cover, lots of finishing time, and a turned walnut knob. Good to be done!

Very nice looking finished desk, Chris!!

Isn't it fun to turn your own pull knob, and see that it fits the project and looks good?
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

nuhobby wrote:Sometimes around here people will be throwing away pieces of decking wood only 15-25 years old.

I have been gathering this stuff and there are many gems to be found. Just one example using the bandsaw:
Indeed. My favorites, that are very few and far between anymore, are the old old TV and Hi-Fi "console" units. I'm still trying to figure out how best to use the only one I have left from an old Philco TV, with a 30x28, 1" thick one piece cherry top. Sides and doors are also cherry. Stuff is hard as a rock and flat as glass.
Alas, most of the ones I've seen in years have been newer 'garbage wood' slabs- the stuff most kitchen cabinets are made of anymore.
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Re: The Joy of Recycling

Post by nuhobby »

From this same main-floor house area, for the dear Mother-In-Law, a recent remodel of a half-bath into a full bath resulted in the loss of a closet for her. I'll need to get on that....

But for now, it's "fix-it" time prior to "fully replace-it time":

Situation the last several weeks:
Interim wardrobe before.jpg
Interim wardrobe before.jpg (106.83 KiB) Viewed 24962 times

Working to recycle a piece of broom-handle:
Turning down broom handle.jpg
Turning down broom handle.jpg (121.26 KiB) Viewed 24962 times

Stop-gap solution!!! :
Interim Wardrobe After.jpg
Interim Wardrobe After.jpg (100.13 KiB) Viewed 24962 times

More to come later, in due time....

Chris
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

A new Wardrobe / Armoire is underway!

"Recycled bits" made up the initial inner skeleton. Now I'm in the process of refining shapes on the cladding, preparing pieces, etc.
Wardrobe.jpg
Wardrobe.jpg (116.6 KiB) Viewed 24853 times
Wardrobe Cutouts.jpg
Wardrobe Cutouts.jpg (120 KiB) Viewed 24853 times

More to come later :)

Chris
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

WHAT? is being recycled???

I would think all that 1968 stuff was already consumed.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I just took recycling to the next step. I have been accumulating a pile of tiny pieces left over from my Shopsmith projects for the last couple of years. My neighbor has a fire pit he uses in the summer and a wood stove for winter. All my scraps were loaded on his pickup yesterday to be burned so nothing was wasted.

Years ago I was able to salvage a lot of "shipping lumber" that was used to load large heavy items on a semi and ship them here. The lumber under it was rough, but it allows all the large items to be picked up with a fork lift. I spent quite a bit of time sorting the lumber and planing it. I got a lot of good oak 4x4s and some 2x4s. Some of it was soft wood that I discarded. I was able to sort it by weight before having to plane the soft wood so I planed only the hard wood pieces. In among the oak hardwood I found two pieces of hickory. Yes, they make the planer scream!
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

JPG wrote:WHAT? is being recycled???

I would think all that 1968 stuff was already consumed.

Some recycling....
- Re-visiting pinewood and a sort of "Shaker" styling scheme for the same room as the secretary/hutch listed above.
- Made the original skeleton totally out of "Dumpster Dive" wood beams :)

A progress report...
Wardrobe Skeleton.jpg
Wardrobe Skeleton.jpg (123.34 KiB) Viewed 24794 times
Cladding Wardrobe.jpg
Cladding Wardrobe.jpg (118.93 KiB) Viewed 24794 times

Chris
sawmill
Gold Member

Post by sawmill »

several ears ago my aunt and uncle bought some land with an old house on it. The house was still good nut they had plans to build a new one so they tore the old one down. He called me and asked if I wanted some wide boards from the roof. They were walnut all about 20 inches wide and rough sawn. Him and I split them. There were some posts in the house that were appox 5x5x8 and they were cherry. Best haul ever for me
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

A bit more progress as I trial-fitted some strap hinges. Just about all the long pine pieces are overlapping pieces that I had rabbeted:
Strap Hinges Trial.jpg
Strap Hinges Trial.jpg (119.06 KiB) Viewed 24709 times
Chris
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Almost done! For Mother's Day, the new wardrobe for Mother-In-law moved up from the shop to her room. It's about 95% finished. Friday night the Mk. 5 whipped up about 65 hole plugs for a finishing effect.
Wardrobe Moved Upstairs.jpg
Wardrobe Moved Upstairs.jpg (127.09 KiB) Viewed 24630 times

Happy woodworking,

Chris