Band Saw Blades

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rcoder
Gold Member

Band Saw Blades

Post by rcoder »

I recently moved from Willcox,AZ to Green Valley,AZ. During the move my carbon steel blades and premium blades were put in the same box and mixed. Is there a way to tell them apart.

Bob C
GoNavy
Gold Member

Re: Band Saw Blades

Post by GoNavy »

Don't know if this will work, but worth a try...been using some Evapo-Rust to clean up some rusting things in the shop, been leaving everything thing in overnight just to make sure they clean up good. What I noticed is that anything made of carbon steel turns slightly black, easy to clean up with a quick wire brush so not a big deal. So my thinking is maybe put a few drops of Evapo-Rust onto each blade and leave it overnight, my guess is the lessor quality carbon steel blades will turn black at the site of the Evapo-Rust and the premium blades should not change color considering they are better quality steel. Might work, never tried, but you never know
rcoder
Gold Member

Post by rcoder »

I guess I will have to get some evapo-rust. I wish there were some kind of visual inspection available.

Bob C
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

What is the width of the blade you think are carbon steel? The only carbon steel blades I have are 3/16". They have a wider tooth set and a kinda black line along the blade, located just inside the gullets.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA