Main table flatness

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Re: Main table flatness

Post by algale »

Love to see some close ups of that tape and the measurements. Tells us something about how they view the specs.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Skizzity
Gold Member

Re: RE: Re: Main table flatness

Post by Skizzity »

algale wrote:Love to see some close ups of that tape and the measurements. Tells us something about how they view the specs.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
PowerPro Mark 7, 11" Bandsaw, 4" Jointer, 12" Professional Planer, DC3300 Dust Collector, DW745, DW718 w/ DW723 and a DW788 w/ DW7880.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. -Winston Churchill
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Thanks for the photos!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Wonder how thick the tape is.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

Just a point of view, I have read here all this alignment stuff, flatness to thousands of an inch, an as I said knock your selves out. I am not being negative, I think just praticle here.
I have a piece of soft maple, jointed and glued with 2 pieces to make it 10" wide, planed and run through an oscillating head drum sander, both cabinet quality. To 25/32nds, flat and consistent as my calibers and granite plate sez. That was 2 weeks ago, sitting in the garage flat on a flat surface, waiting to be sanded for finish in stinking humid weather, it is no longer perfect in all those things.
Now it is just for a work bench drawer face, BUT I have to rip it to a thinner width after I make the drawer body and figure out the exact dimensions for the face. As I stated here and on and other table issues thread, I use a dedicated Jet cast iron top table saw, fence runs true, Table to blade with a quality square is 90* at the mid height of the blade fully raised.
I mean it is wood, what more do you need/want?? Rocket Science trajectories and Moon/Sun and other gravitational equations to get to Mars? Then think in .0000000001 degree of disinfection. :)
In my persise wood dimensions and I am a perfectionist, whiten a 64th and a 1\2* of angle, all is well, and on the angle on face jointing just flip them to get the perfect 90*s for glue up.
I mean what was the standard when they just had hand tools and hand saws?
Just make saw dust unless you are out of projects :)
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
Stitch
Gold Member

Post by Stitch »

My question remains. What is the SS specification for table top flatness? It would appear to be +- .015". That's +-1/64th of an inch.