Looking for a review of the centipede work table

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Looking for a review of the centipede work table

Post by reible »

By looking for I mean is anyone here using one of these or have used one.

I have some sheet good projects and was thinking I really don't want to be doing them with the set up I now have. They also fit my need for things that take up only small amounts of storage space.

Rockler sells them in two sizes, 2' x 4' and 4' x 8'. I was thinking of the larger one. Part number 55633, price $160. Now that you have the sticker shock thing over take a look here:

http://www.rockler.com/centipede-sawhorse

Most of the reviews seemed positive but I always like when shopsmith owners do reviews.

I was thinking that if I set one of these up on the driveway and put a sheet of plywood down (maybe on 2x4's) then a sheet of pink foam board I could then drag the plywood out of the back of my van and process it on the centipede.

Still early in the planning stages.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Re: Looking for a review of the centipede work table

Post by ERLover »

Ed I watched the video and I dont know your needs but looks pretty slick, and seems to come with all you need other then the 2x4s. $160 seems a bit high for what it is, but they seem not to have any competition. Your needs dictates the value to the cost.
I am sure JB and JPG will have some alternate ideas, I dont think that deep usually, it hurts. :rolleyes:
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

Ed, just had a thought, with all those legs, if on an uneven surface how does that effect the top supports? of course with the weight it can support and with 2x4s if the 4 corners are on the same plane it should be okay.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
jle
Gold Member

Post by jle »

I've got two of the small ones. I created a frame out of 2x4's with half laps to lock them together for the top and pink foam insulation on top of that. I use it with a track saw to work on plywood. I like them alot. They work exactly as advertised. Lowe's has the big one for $99 and the small one for $49. I think that two small ones together can do what the big one can, but give me more flexibility for small jobs.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Thank you! I had not researched them on line but now that I have I can see me making a trip to the Lowe's to get one to play with.

So I'm guessing you are bridging the two smaller ones to make a 4' x 8' work surface? I'm picturing the 2 x 4's extending past the ends and the 4 foot width being on the plywood width and some distance between sections in the middle?

I'm warming to that idea as I can see in some cases having to take out only one of these for some projects and then bring on the second one for larger projects.

Any chance you could take a picture of it?

Ed

jle wrote:I've got two of the small ones. I created a frame out of 2x4's with half laps to lock them together for the top and pink foam insulation on top of that. I use it with a track saw to work on plywood. I like them alot. They work exactly as advertised. Lowe's has the big one for $99 and the small one for $49. I think that two small ones together can do what the big one can, but give me more flexibility for small jobs.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Checked and my local store has 6 of the smaller ones on hand so I'm going to go pick 1 up tomorrow. I've got another job dealing with some smaller squares of plywood so that would be a good test of the system.

Ed
jle
Gold Member

Post by jle »

reible wrote:Thank you! I had not researched them on line but now that I have I can see me making a trip to the Lowe's to get one to play with.

So I'm guessing you are bridging the two smaller ones to make a 4' x 8' work surface? I'm picturing the 2 x 4's extending past the ends and the 4 foot width being on the plywood width and some distance between sections in the middle?

I'm warming to that idea as I can see in some cases having to take out only one of these for some projects and then bring on the second one for larger projects.

Ed

I'll try to if I get a chance, but you pretty much described how I do it.

jle wrote:I've got two of the small ones. I created a frame out of 2x4's with half laps to lock them together for the top and pink foam insulation on top of that. I use it with a track saw to work on plywood. I like them alot. They work exactly as advertised. Lowe's has the big one for $99 and the small one for $49. I think that two small ones together can do what the big one can, but give me more flexibility for small jobs.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Well it took me and three other sales people to find one but I'm now an owner. Found the larger size units back in the tools but had to ask to find the smaller ones, we finally found someone who knew were they had them.

Turns out I walked by them coming in the store but didn't notice them on the end cap of aisle 4. I didn't feel to bad as the other sales guys didn't know they were there either.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Don't worry about a picture. I have a pretty good idea what I want to do now that I've decided on the two smaller versions. Thanks!

Ed

jle wrote:
reible wrote:Thank you! I had not researched them on line but now that I have I can see me making a trip to the Lowe's to get one to play with.

Ed

I'll try to if I get a chance, but you pretty much described how I do it.

ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I have the large one. I bought it off of the Woodpeckers website. It came with four hold-downs. You do have to open it to it's full position; otherwise it's flimsy. Once fully open, it is rigid. I do like the fact it has a storage bag to store it when not in use.
BPR