Where do you buy your lathe stuff at??

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Jeepmiller09
Gold Member

Where do you buy your lathe stuff at??

Post by Jeepmiller09 »

I am just looking to see where everyone buys their lathe items from? Tools, finishing, parts, blanks....ect

Thanks
Brian Miller
Skizzity
Gold Member

Re: Where do you buy your lathe stuff at??

Post by Skizzity »

Shopsmith for accessories. Woodcraft for tools and accessories, finishing, wood, kits. Bear Tooth Woods for some blanks.
PowerPro Mark 7, 11" Bandsaw, 4" Jointer, 12" Professional Planer, DC3300 Dust Collector, DW745, DW718 w/ DW723 and a DW788 w/ DW7880.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. -Winston Churchill
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Other good sources are Craft Supplies (Woodturnerscatalogue.com), Packard Tools and Amazon.com. Penn State Industries is great, especially if your just starting out and don't have a lot of money to dump!. They also carry Shopsmith spindle adapters. My wood addiction is mostly lathe work, but then I don't usually use my Shopsmiths for that, though I occasionally do.
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

I like Doug Thompson's lathe tools. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.

http://thompsonlathetools.com/

I also think that the Shopsmith lathe tools that aren't the original five piece set included with the Shopsmith are very good tools. Right now, it looks like they only have the six piece Spindle Turning Set and the Pen Turning set. They used to sell a nice four piece bowl turning set. You may be able to find them elsewhere.

Mike
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Tools I like Record Power and Sorby but I still use my original SS chisels on every turning. Just turn new handles. Accessories I use SS accessories. The SS steady rest is highly recommended. I have the Nova chuck for the SS and love it. As far as wood get to be good friends with either a firewood cutter or a tree trimming/removal guy. They have acces to the best wood.
Paul
whitehat1994
Silver Member

Post by whitehat1994 »

I google what I'm looking for and go from there.

I have purchased pen blanks for Exoticblanks.com beartoothwoods and few others.

I have been on line with other pen turners http://www.penturners.org/ and have purchased some wonderful blanks from its members. IAP has a birthday bash in February and participating merchants give members wonderful discounts on products.There is a wonderful library on IAP as well for wood working tips.

Tools and other pen finishing accessories I do the same, I research for the best price and look for coupons too.

Woodbarter.com is another source, although I have not been on it as much as I do IAP.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

It really depends on what item I'm looking for as to where I might buy it. I'd say don't over look Amazon, they had a nice deal on a Nova chuck a while back and it was just what I was looking for.

Things like Easy Wood tools go on sale at various times so I have gotten them at several places. Given the expense I find I'm getting them one at a time.

Some places sell wood online but if you get picky you will want to shop at a store to see what you are getting. Green wood stuff you might find down the street if a someone is having a tree removed.... Can't beat the free price.

I'm in the market for some other lathe chisels next month, well again because of the cost it will be just one. I have had two places recommended but I have personally not used them so I'll let others proclaim there goodness.

I'd warn that just because someone says there product works on a shopsmith it doesn't mean it works well on a shopsmith.

For me I avoid things that are cheap, and that is because they are cheap and I'd rather have well made tools and will pay the price to get them. And the lathe part of woodworking can be an expensive extension if you get hooked on turning. I'm not hooked but I have had fun turning so tread lightly when you start.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
mikelst
Gold Member

Post by mikelst »

Ive been known to buy/use cutting boards for pen blanks. I've had luck at times finding olive-wood cutting boards. once I found several at Ross for a very good price.

Sometimes unconventional sources are the best. :p