Belt Sander Drive Sleeve Replacement

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jk347
Bronze Member

Post by jk347 »

I just ordered a new rubber drive drum sleeve for my SS belt sander. I would appreciate tips and advice on selecting and applying adhesive to the drum and any other comments on the replacement process.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Look at this Sawdust session, should answer whatever you need to do.

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... _Index.htm
Last edited by beeg on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
jk347
Bronze Member

Post by jk347 »

I watched the video session and it doesn't cover replacing the drive sleeve.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Did you order 502789? That's the complete assembly.
Last edited by beeg on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
billmayo
Platinum Member

Belt Sander Drive Sleeve Cover Replacement

Post by billmayo »

You need to do every thing that Nick does in his Belt Sander session. There is no bolted brackets or holding screws for the bearings. They just fit into each side. You just hold the side bracket and tap the drive sleeve shaft to remove the drive sleeve with the bearings. Be sure you keep and reuse the spring spacers on the outside of the drive sleeve bearings.

I got instructions from Shopsmith with the new drive sleeve cover. You install the cover on the drum. I used some disk soap to slip it on. Then peal one half of the cover over the the other side of the belt cover. I cleaned the 1/2 uncovered drum and 1/2 cover to remove the soap. Then I applied the glue to the drum and rolled the cover back over that side and let if dry. Then I did the opposite side the same way. This is the same way you do the black tires on the bandsaw wheels.
jk347 wrote:I watched the video session and it doesn't cover replacing the drive sleeve.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
jk347
Bronze Member

Post by jk347 »

Thanks billmayo - what type of adhesive did you use?
jk347
Bronze Member

Post by jk347 »

beeg - I didn't order the entire assembly - just the rubber sleeve.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

If I remember correctly, the Shopsmith Customer Service lady recommended adding a bottle of adhesive to my belt sander drive sleeve. It was the same bottle that is in the bandsaw black tire package (555644). I find the Shopsmith CS people are excellant in finding parts/items that are not listed in their catalog.
jk347 wrote:Thanks billmayo - what type of adhesive did you use?
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

And that is Dap Weldwood contact adhesive I believe.

The parts list for the belt sander shows that sleeve as part of an assembly, looked like it wasn't available separately. There wasn't a part number for it. Learn something new at least weekly. :)
Last edited by beeg on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bob
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

beeg wrote:And that is Dap Weldwood contact adhesive I believe.
That is Affirmative!! Just checked on my bandsaw tire kit!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA