Next Project

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Re: Next Project

Post by masonsailor2 »

Finally got the drill press done and time to get back to this piece. The frame is glued up and now its ready for the top.
Paul
Attachments
GU1.jpg
GU1.jpg (297.1 KiB) Viewed 3490 times
GU2.jpg
GU2.jpg (284.78 KiB) Viewed 3490 times
Dccarpenter
Gold Member

Post by Dccarpenter »

Paul,

That is a great piece. Is it difficult to get the chamfer on the leg even while holding the sanding disc while running it on the lathe? Are you referencing the disk to a place on the machine ? working to pencil marks? Eyeballing? Also, what grit paper are you using?
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

Nice, It is hard for most to really appreciate the machining work to get things perfect, they just like the finished product, but dont know how it got there. I hope she does.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

I like it!

Your fluting scheme is a lot like one I did a few years ago.... but yours is really a bigger and finer project:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 136#p23916

Chris
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

The top will be an approx. 4 inch wide frame of Paduak which will have an inlay. The first part of the project is to prepare the inlay material. She chose to have an alternating maple and Paduak style so I made two presses using plywood scraps and then cut up strips of each wood. The trick to this method is to have strips that are extremely consistent in width. Less than .01 tolerance and then press them with enough force to eliminate any gaps. This allows the final pieces to be able to be aligned in a v pattern and maintain the alignment from one end of the piece to the other. I still haven't been informed by the boss if this is going to be a v pattern or just a diagonal inlay.
Paul
Attachments
IL1A.jpg
IL1A.jpg (229.25 KiB) Viewed 3432 times
IL1.jpg
IL1.jpg (265.76 KiB) Viewed 3432 times
IL2.jpg
IL2.jpg (252.78 KiB) Viewed 3432 times
IN3.jpg
IN3.jpg (345.79 KiB) Viewed 3432 times
IL4.jpg
IL4.jpg (282.97 KiB) Viewed 3432 times
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Glued up the top yesterday and got it finished. The inlay was nixed. She decided she liked the paduak without the contrasting inlay. I will save it for another project. Now just sanding and finish.
Paul
Attachments
TT1.jpg
TT1.jpg (286.67 KiB) Viewed 3392 times
TT2.jpg
TT2.jpg (285.03 KiB) Viewed 3392 times
TT3.jpg
TT3.jpg (221.28 KiB) Viewed 3392 times
tomp
Gold Member

Post by tomp »

Very creative. I love that Paduak.

Tom
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Beautiful work! Love to see the way you used the Shopsmith, including tilting the table; this always scares off the uninitiated but I don't even think about it anymore.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Very nice work, Paul!! :D A gorgeous table! Sorry she didn't like the inlay, but we serve to please. :)

Your work on the legs and frame are outstanding!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

charlese wrote:Very nice work, Paul!! :D A gorgeous table! Sorry she didn't like the inlay, but we serve to please. :)

Your work on the legs and frame are outstanding!
As is the top!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange