Problem with conical disc sander

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tomp
Gold Member

Problem with conical disc sander

Post by tomp »

I'm trying to join boards for a table top. Through the jointer, they line up perfectly, except the wood is figured along the line, and it chipped out. Decided to use the conical disc sander. Lined it up perfectly square with the table. Ran the board thru, and then it was slightly convex. Went back to the jointer; nice and straight. Back to the conical disc sander; slightly convex. The convexity is in the long direction of the board. It was flush against the fence the entire time.

I don't understand what I am doing wrong.

Tom in MT
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Problem with conical disc sander

Post by dusty »

Make absolutely certain that you are remaining tight against the fence. Take off very little. You should not use the conical to dimension the work piece; only to finish sand it.
Last edited by dusty on Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

Trying to understand, is the table set, I think at 4*, which would make it 90 to the disc. I set mine with a square, table to disc. Is the table set higher then the center line of the disc?
I have one, used it a couple times, but not for what you are doing and I am away from the shop geographically.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
tomp
Gold Member

Post by tomp »

Maybe that is it, Dusty, because I was trying to remove the 1/8 inch of chipped wood using multiple passes at 150 grit.

I need to buy another conical disc when they next have a special, maybe 2, so I don't force things.

I set the disc square to the table, but was a little higher than midline; sandpaper badly worn. Does it matter that I wasn't exactly centered on the disc?

Tom
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

1st table and disc 90*
2nd read the instructions on how much to remove per pass based on grit!!!
3rd table needs to be above center line, read instructions on that.
4th in doubt read instructions again.
5th you can go to SS site I think to get a net copy of instructions to read.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

ERLover wrote:1st table and disc 90*
2nd read the instructions on how much to remove per pass based on grit!!!
3rd table needs to be above center line, read instructions on that.
4th in doubt read instructions again.
5th you can go to SS site I think to get a net copy of instructions to read.
That is true but as you mentioned in another post the main table must be tilted 4* left per the instructions to make the table and disk 90*. Just wanted to clarify for those that are a bit confused.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

If you are still having issues, review this video.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO7eejezyu8[/youtube]
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

For some reason, the video that algale posted won't play for me right now. So this may be redundant. But keep in mind that the SS main table is not terribly rigid in the horizontal direction. So, whenever you are doing an operation that needs a close tolerance in the horizontal direction, you want to stiffen it up. Assuming that you have a 510 or a 520, this is easily accomplished buy mounting the auxiliary table, and coupling it to the main table with the connector tubes. Somewhere there's a video of Nick doing this and using a dial indicator to show the improvement.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:For some reason, the video that algale posted won't play for me right now. So this may be redundant. But keep in mind that the SS main table is not terribly rigid in the horizontal direction. So, whenever you are doing an operation that needs a close tolerance in the horizontal direction, you want to stiffen it up. Assuming that you have a 510 or a 520, this is easily accomplished buy mounting the auxiliary table, and coupling it to the main table with the connector tubes. Somewhere there's a video of Nick doing this and using a dial indicator to show the improvement.
You can't connect the main table to the aux table when using the conical disc, since the main table needs to be tilted to approximately 4 degrees to the left left in order for it to be square to the conical disc surface. But your point about rigidity is still a good one. If you try to take a big bite with the conical disc, there's a chance the table is going to deflect. So use the right grit and take light passes.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Not sure I understand your 'issue', but be aware the angle is not actually 4°.

More like 3+.

Use a square to set the table angle(square against the disc on a line that vertically passes through the center of the quill and the other leg(square) aligned to a line on the table top that is parallel to the quill axis.)

Make sure the workpiece is against the disk grit only(anywhere from the paper edge nearest the center to the periphery.

Taking more off the ends than the center(convex)? How straight is the back edge(against the fence)?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange