shop smith chuck

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

woodmeister
Gold Member

shop smith chuck

Post by woodmeister »

Looking for a shop smith chuck with or without key. Must be in good condition and reasonable in price. Purchased a mark v and it did not have one.
Thanks, woodmeister formerly alisfair
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: shop smith chuck

Post by dusty »

woodmeister wrote:Looking for a shop smith chuck with or without key. Must be in good condition and reasonable in price. Purchased a mark v and it did not have one.
Thanks, woodmeister formerly alisfair
You can find them used on EBay but I wouldn't go there.

My first thought would be here:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/dr_chuck.htm

For this price - new why take a chance.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Dusty makes a good point, but I prefer the old original Jacobs chucks, especially the 3326(model 10 version).
Last edited by JPG on Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

JPG wrote:Dusty makes a good point, but I prefer tho old original Jacobs chucks, especially the 3326(model 10 version).
Hey, I have one of those!
image.jpg
image.jpg (206.91 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
Probably two, actually, but I didn't take time to check the stuff that came with my 10E. I've never used them, because my 10's are still awaiting restoration, except for this chuck and a few arbors and such. How are these chucks better than the new ones?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:
JPG wrote:Dusty makes a good point, but I prefer tho old original Jacobs chucks, especially the 3326(model 10 version).
Hey, I have one of those!
image.jpg
Probably two, actually, but I didn't take time to check the stuff that came with my 10E. I've never used them, because my 10's are still awaiting restoration, except for this chuck and a few arbors and such. How are these chucks better than the new ones?
They were made by Jacobs Chuck Manufacturing Co. in the USA(in the 'good old days') and not by a resultant corporate owner of the brand.

However the current Jacobs product is likely just as good.

The Jacobs 'multicraft' is my second best favorite.

Also internal parts are still available for repair(if ever needed!).

I know not the origin of the current SS chuck.

Others swear by the Cushman chuck.

I think they are all good.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

For what it's worth, I have an old chuck from 1984, and a new one from 2014. Both are good, but I prefer the new one.
woodmeister
Gold Member

Post by woodmeister »

Hi How much are you asking for the chuck and postage?
Tom
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

If I were to buy another chuck I would buy the Jacobs 3326. They are on eBay all the time. I bought my SS new in 1995 and it came with a SS branded chuck. The steel it is made from is clearly softer than the Jacobs chucks.

If you look at the first picture the SS branded chuck is on the right. You can clearly see the gouge in the metal from the key after 20 years of use. The chuck in the center is the Jacobs 3326 that is probably 60 years old. There is absolutely no sign of ware. The chuck on the left is a Jacobs 33B that came with the first 10Es. It has a 5/8-16 thread to attach to the spindle. Hence the adapter to adapt it to the SS 5/8" smooth bore. It to shows no sign of ware from the key. The second picture simply shows the 33B with the adapter removed.

The only possible thing with the Jacobs chucks is that they only go down to 5/64" for some unknown reason. The SS chuck goes down close to 0. My wife uses a 1/16" drill bit to drill a lot of the starter holes for scroll sawing. So I keep the SS chuck on one of the drill presses.
Attachments
IMAG0220.jpg
IMAG0220.jpg (187.51 KiB) Viewed 1180 times
IMAG0221.jpg
IMAG0221.jpg (168.64 KiB) Viewed 1180 times
Last edited by jsburger on Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Your pix also shows another reason I prefer the 3326 over the current SS version. It is shorter!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:Your pix also shows another reason I prefer the 3326 over the current SS version. It is shorter!

Yes, in my opinion the only one to buy is the Jacobs 3326 and it is on eBay all the time.

Sorry, I had the number wrong in the previous post.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT