DC3300 Bag replacement

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

whsewardiv
Gold Member

DC3300 Bag replacement

Post by whsewardiv »

quick question here...i have a DC3300 and use the plastic trash bags, which damage easily when moving tools around it. My brother recently acquires a Shopsmith 510 package with a DC3300, his DC came with a canvas style lower bag. I am wondering if anyone knows where i can find one to fit my 3300. any help would be appreciated
beeg
Platinum Member

Re: DC3300 Bag replacement

Post by beeg »

I wood think canvas bag wood defeat the purpose of the DC. It being to porous.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

But if installed 'over' the plastic bag, it would help prevent damaging it.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Are you using the SS collector bags? I have found that they cut very easily especially when they are old. I bought my DC used and the guy had the original set of bags and they were so brittle that they were virtually unusable. I have been using the reinforced black trash bags with the cinch tops and they seem to stand up better.
Bill V
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

beeg wrote:I wood think canvas bag wood defeat the purpose of the DC. It being to porous.
You are right, Bob!- in as much as dust will pass through the canvas back into the shop. :eek:

However there is another way to think about this. A porous collection bag would help to improve air flow. More surface area where air can pass through = less back pressure. However..., Guess a canvass bag would work real well if the DC3300 was outside the shop.

As long as it catches larger dust. it should work. :)
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wa2crk wrote:Are you using the SS collector bags? I have found that they cut very easily especially when they are old. I bought my DC used and the guy had the original set of bags and they were so brittle that they were virtually unusable. I have been using the reinforced black trash bags with the cinch tops and they seem to stand up better.
Bill V
Me Too!!

P.S. With the cinch tops, they are easier to install!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

JPG wrote: Me Too!!

P.S. With the cinch tops, they are easier to install!!!
I still use the shopsmith bags. I like to see how full the bag is. My experience is the Shopsmith bags are firm and flexible. I like them! :D and buy them whenever on sale. :) I've not had one rip or brake since I covered the bolts and nuts that hold the legs to the base. To do this I used canned spray caulking. Another guy simply reversed the bolts and has no problem.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
Stargate315313
Bronze Member

Post by Stargate315313 »

I bought these at Home Depot yesterday. Simply fold the top down to get the proper 36" size needed and install under the clips and retaining straps. The are very strong, 7 mm thick, reusable and great from holding upto 110 lbs of "shop trash".
Attachments
demobags-contractor-bags.jpg
demobags-contractor-bags.jpg (83.29 KiB) Viewed 27977 times
artlinux
Gold Member

Post by artlinux »

I have been using the Costco Kirkland Clear Multipurpose bags 121 L capacity 31 x 43.5" (box of 60 clear bags). This bag is regularly used at home for many uses and it has served well in the DC3300 for a decade here with many replacements. No tearing, fits well and you can see exactly how much material has been collected. INEXPENSIVE too.

It is one more choice for you.
Art ve9bp

Mk 7 PowerPro;bandsaw, planer, jointer, belt sander, DC3300; 330 sq ft shop
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I have, for these many, many years, been frustrated every time I had to change dust collection bags. The bags are just so much larger than would be needed. Laid out flat, the bag measures 32" wide (64"d) and 39" long (tall). The width would facilitate a container that is approximately 21" in diameter and the dust collector is about 16" in diameter. My bags measure 6 mil but I suspect that they are really 7 mil since that seems to be a standard.

I use the darn things but as I said putting one on (without at least 3 hands) is most frustrating. I used to discard a bag full of dust no less frequently than twice a month. Not so these days. About once every 3-4 months will suffice but it is still frustrating.

My question has always been "Why So Big". There must be a good reason. One that I just do not comprehend.

In the original post, it was said that a dust collector came with a canvas bag. Is anyone else aware of a canvas bag for the dust collection (the trash) or is there some confusion. The hood is fabric (felt like) but is not the bag that I am ranting about.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.