New Control Sheave

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

aloibl
Gold Member

New Control Sheave

Post by aloibl »

I just had to buy a new complete control sheave for one of my units. The idler shaft now comes with two small bearings instead of one large bearing. Putting it back together but ran into a problem. The old design with the single large bearing used to be locked in place by tightening up a set screw on the eccentric bushing. With the new design this can't be used. It appears to float. Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Alan
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Re: New Control Sheave

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I think you also need to change out the eccentric bushing if you go with the new style (?)
aloibl
Gold Member

Post by aloibl »

Actually if I had looked at the "Service Notice" when I had placed the order for the idler shaft assembly it lets me know that I might need to replace my eccentric bushing. So in this case it was user error. I will have to order a replacement eccentric bushing.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The newer eccentric bushing has an 'open' bottom. That allows the bushing to squeeze the bearings as the headstock clamp is tightened. The new bushing also has an additional screw to retain the bearings in the bushing(prevents the bearings from sliding 'out').
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange