Switch Lock

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RWYoung1
Bronze Member

Switch Lock

Post by RWYoung1 »

Locks (composite).jpg
Locks (composite).jpg (68.11 KiB) Viewed 3142 times
I have a Mark V purchased in about 1980. I've continued to up grade it, recently completing a Shopsmith Pro DIY upgrade. At that time I purchased an old headstock case, and mini components from Bill Mayo. So I now have my original headstock functioning on the mini, and the Shopsmith Pro on my regular machine. On both the original headstock case and the one I purchased from Bill, they were designed for the toggle on-off switch. There is no problem with that. However, at onetime Shopsmith sold a lock (Master Lock) for use on the headstock to prevent the machine from being turned on when the lock is in place. I have one and have used it regularly over the years because I'm away from home a lot and don't want others playing around with the machine. However, now I have 2 of the same headstock cases, and only 1 lock. Shopsmith no longer sells them, and because the size of the lock bar is 5/16 inch diameter, and the length from lock mechanism to curve is 2 1/2 inches when locked, I have been unable to find a lock elsewhere that works. There are plenty with the 5/16 inch diameter, and plenty with a 2 1/2 inch length, but I've not found any with both. Does anyone have any suggestions of where I can look?
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Switch Lock

Post by JPG »

If yours is 2 1/2", would not 2" work?

11KALH http://www.amazon.com/The-No-11KALH-Mas ... B00A3XCNRM
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

JPG wrote:If yours is 2 1/2", would not 2" work?

11KALH http://www.amazon.com/The-No-11KALH-Mas ... B00A3XCNRM

If not,

517D http://www.masterlock.com/personal-use/product/517D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Have ya looked in a bike shop for a lock?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

beeg wrote:Have ya looked in a bike shop for a lock?

Our age is showing. :eek: Bike locks 'today' have cables or wide/fat shackles. :(

That was the first place I looked!(master bike locks) :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have a cheap lock I got at Walmart(I think it was under $5). I dug it out to see if it would fit. This is the lock:
IMG_7527sc.jpg
IMG_7527sc.jpg (148.96 KiB) Viewed 3010 times
And, no it will not fit. But when I measured the lock it looks like it would slip in a 1/4" hole.
IMG_7528sc.jpg
IMG_7528sc.jpg (137.07 KiB) Viewed 3010 times
Using a drill bit to measure, mine at least looks to be 7/32.
IMG_7529sc.jpg
IMG_7529sc.jpg (150.86 KiB) Viewed 3010 times
If you wouldn't mind drill the hole on yours 1/32" larger then it may open the world of locks for this purpose.

Hope this helps,

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

reible wrote:I have a cheap lock I got at Walmart(I think it was under $5). I dug it out to see if it would fit. This is the lock:
IMG_7527sc.jpg
And, no it will not fit. But when I measured the lock it looks like it would slip in a 1/4" hole.
IMG_7528sc.jpg
Using a drill bit to measure, mine at least looks to be 7/32.
IMG_7529sc.jpg
If you wouldn't mind drill the hole on yours 1/32" larger then it may open the world of locks for this purpose.

Hope this helps,

Ed
If you have a Power Pro upgrade to take one of them to a Mark 7, Shopsmith included a user defined password protection into the control panel, so you would only need one lock for the Mark V...

Hey... it's justification... safety you know....

No, my wife didn't buy that either....

Everett
letterk
Gold Member

Post by letterk »

I think in one of the recent sales emails the tip they had was to get one of those luggage padlocks and put it through the hole on the prongs of the power cord instead. Of course, you may be talking about the size of padlock that could be defeated with a small hammer.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

letterk wrote:I think in one of the recent sales emails the tip they had was to get one of those luggage padlocks and put it through the hole on the prongs of the power cord instead. Of course, you may be talking about the size of padlock that could be defeated with a small hammer.
I found http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HW ... 30H349AR4G

while searching for one I think was made by Master Lock that the plug just fit into completely and locked. There are several kinds of plug locks.

Here's one like I was searching for http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-Rotat ... DG94R7DP1K
reubenjames
Gold Member

Post by reubenjames »

I have three headstocks with the toggle switches and the holes for the padlock. I like the padlock idea better than the cord lock for a number of reasons. Per Ed's measurements above, I believe mine are also 7/32". Which is why the 517D that JPG mentioned above won't work (shackle is too thick if you read the specs; I also happen to have one and double-checked).

Didn't find anything on the Master Lock site under "Home & Personal", but did find a good candidate under "Business & Industry". The model 7LJ (link below) and related models (they have a brass one for corrosion resistance, if that's your thing) sport a 3/16" shackle diameter, and the shackle itself is 2.5" long. Hopefully will be a perfect fit like the locks the MS used to sell? I don't think you can order directly from Master Lock, but I found a reasonable deal at http://www.mrlock.com (~$7 + ~$5 shipping).

I will report back on how it works, with a photo, once I receive it. If it works, I'll be ordering a couple more for the other headstocks.

http://www.masterlock.com/business-use/product/7LJ
Alec S.
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 and Power Pro (SN 000527)
1983 Mark V Shop Deputy (SN 163487)
1982 Mark V headstock (SN 122265)
1949 (?) 10 ER in transition to dedicated drill press (SN 18677)
11" Band Saw (Aluminum Table System upgrade) (SN 34026)
4" Jointer (SN 02-18-98)
6" Belt Sander (SN 19012)
18" Jig Saw (SN 17407)
20" Scroll Saw (SN 010593)
12" Thickness Planer (SN 10406)
Strip Sander (SN pending)
DC3300 Dust Collector (SN 102088)