Headstock Drawing

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Headstock Drawing

Post by everettdavis »

In March of this year someone who read http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... th#p185690 asked me if I had a clear copy of a complete illustrated parts list that matched what Shopsmith had on-line that dynamically sizes and resizes in the small view port window. They wanted to see an entire exploded parts view of the headstock and actually be able to read it.

I promised I would look into creating one, and sure enough, purged the private message with their name before I got time to work on it.

So for whichever one of you requested it..... I have prepared one, that is very similar to the interactive one, but it does have the full headstock view you requested.

I labeled it with the same numbering that Shopsmith uses and removed most of the connecting lines to help improve legibility and changed the axis on the belt cover.

I regret that it took me a while to get to this project for you, but here it is.

Due to limitations on the site, the image must be at most 1920 pixels wide and 1080 pixels high.

The original image is 4424 pixels wide and 3964 pixels high and will not post to the forum in that format, but I can send it to you if you will PM me your email address. It is reduced to 1204 x 1079 allowing it to post.

Everett
Complete Headstock reduced size.gif
Complete Headstock reduced size.gif (94.81 KiB) Viewed 6413 times
Last edited by everettdavis on Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: A member asked for this drawing, but I can't recall who.

Post by JPG »

I did not request it, but would really appreciate a copy.

I realize the work required and applaud you for it!!!

Email received = Thanks

I assume further distribution by me is ok.
Last edited by JPG on Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

JPG wrote:I did not request it, but would really appreciate a copy.

jpg40504@yahoo.com.
It is on the way, with another that I changed some of the axis reference points where the case joins. I included a reduced size of that one below as well.

Everett
Complete Headstock V2 reduced size.gif
Complete Headstock V2 reduced size.gif (99.56 KiB) Viewed 6393 times
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

JPG wrote:I did not request it, but would really appreciate a copy.

Email received = Thanks

I assume further distribution by me is ok.
By all means share it.

Everett
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Headstock Drawing

Post by everettdavis »

Last revision (I hope). - This one is my favorite

I have revised the axis for the Headstock Lock, the Quill Lock, the Power Switch, the Quadrant and the Speed Control with a few other touches. It now is a native 44” x 35” which makes it an ANSI E size drawing. If you want the full size just let me know. It is far too big to post in the forums.

At this size it is still clean and legible and I hope an easier visualization.

Everett

For the purists, bring up the Shopsmith Online version and look at the Belt Cover Housing. Look closely at where the Way Tube openings are drawn.

I just had to correct it....
Complete Headstock V3.0.0 reduced size with No error.jpg
Complete Headstock V3.0.0 reduced size with No error.jpg (259.83 KiB) Viewed 6277 times
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I'd like a copy, check your PM for an email address.

Love the error, hadn't looked all that close at it before but now.....

Thanks,

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Let's see if this will work.
headstock.pdf
(751.33 KiB) Downloaded 2546 times
Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

reible wrote:Let's see if this will work.
headstock.pdf
Ed

Indeed it works!!!! :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

A couple more tweaks.... I relocated the vent plate in relation to the belt cover and adapted the headstock where the switch mounted.

It just didn't make sense the way it looked...

I adapted some of the headstock in the area where the straight vs arched cross brace was in the A vs B & C units.

I think the source drawing started out as an A and had some things just pasted onto it over the years. Wish I had an original DWG to start with.

Great idea with the PDF... I dropped it in Visio and was able to save it as a PDF that is 44.01" x 34.01" which is still a full E size drawing.

So here's the latest version...
Complete Headstock V3.0.2.pdf
(347.5 KiB) Downloaded 1300 times
colday
Gold Member

Post by colday »

Fantastic job! Thanks!

So, I suppose the only difference between this and the Power Pro headstock is the absence of the speed control & pork chop, and obviously the motor. Am I missing anything?