First Bowl

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fitzhugh
Gold Member

First Bowl

Post by fitzhugh »

A number of you gave me guidance on turning (many) months ago and I only now put it to use. Thank you for your help! Here's the result: (or at the bottom since I still don't understand the new forum's photo posting setup). Just measured it, exactly 4 inches diameter.
Bowl no 1.jpg
Bowl no 1.jpg (658.94 KiB) Viewed 4078 times
I had no idea what shape to make so I didn't worry about the outcome and just tried it. It's far from perfect but I like the rim and the thin wall (3/32" just below where the rim sticks out).
I only have a 3 3/4" faceplate and a live center, no chuck, so I used a glue block while turning the inside and much of the outside, which then got turned down to a jam chuck.
I don't recall what the wood is, nearly certain it was just firewood, feels like maple.
Man, that was fun. Now I'm eying our neighbor's firewood pile...
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: First Bowl

Post by jsburger »

Absolutely beautiful!!!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

The proportions of that bowl are fantastic! Can't believe it was your first attempt. I expect you will be asked to make many more.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

fitzhugh
Gold Member

Post by fitzhugh »

Wow, thank you both! I just couldn't believe it didn't self destruct, though I sure was taking TINY cuts at the end ( ...if by end you mean final 80% of time spent!) I also didn't realize just how thin it was getting until I made some doubles calipers to measure, what with the protruding rim in the way.

I sure had trouble with the tail stock and the tool rest getting in each other's way. I'm ordering another small face plate to permanently mount a Longworth chuck (not made yet, obviously) and I'll save for a universal tool rest. Can't afford one yet and don't see affording both one And a proper chuck anytime soon.

I don't know if I should go ahead and get one of the two position tool rest bases, a curved bowl to rest, or just hold off and get the universal once I'found the cash.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Fabulous work! Is the sunlight actually passing through the wood to create those lovely grain highlights?

If you could find a retail outlet for those, I suspect that your hobby could become self-financing in short order.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

WOW!!!! You done good!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
forrestb
Platinum Member

Post by forrestb »

Your first bowl?!!!!

I think that you have just found a new profession. It is absolutely beautiful as jsburger said!

Forrest
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

Great looking bowl.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

It has been said by others, but WOW. Not just first bowl wow, just wow!

That is something I am really itching to do! Just can't find the right wood .....
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Beautiful bowl! Congratulations!

Actually awesome! A lot nicer than my first and second tries. No reason it shouldn't have been. Just comparing ;)
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA