Lower Bandsaw thrust bearing

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

weelildaddy

Post by weelildaddy »

In cleaning the inside of my SS bandsaw last night, I noticed that the blade was traveling on the outer 1/4 portion of the thrust bearing. Consulting the manual and doing research on this forum has turned up nothing concrete for me. The ability to center this bearing behind the blade is controlled by loosening a single 1/2 bolt and sliding the entire assembly to center the bearing. My problem is that the assembly is already pushed over as far as it will go and pushing it the opposite way will only slide the bearing from behind the blade. Is there something I am missing? Is there something topside which will influence where the blade tracks below. This bandsaw otherwise is adjusted to perfection and although being almost ten years old, has very little use on it.

Nick, can you perhaps weigh in on this and Paul, I know you have had a lot of experience on this and especially with modifications which I am really not interested in doing as I don't use the bandsaw often enough to warrent improvements.

Thank all of you for continued viewpoints.

Arno
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

weelildaddy wrote:In cleaning the inside of my SS bandsaw last night, I noticed that the blade was traveling on the outer 1/4 portion of the thrust bearing. Consulting the manual and doing research on this forum has turned up nothing concrete for me. The ability to center this bearing behind the blade is controlled by loosening a single 1/2 bolt and sliding the entire assembly to center the bearing. My problem is that the assembly is already pushed over as far as it will go and pushing it the opposite way will only slide the bearing from behind the blade. Is there something I am missing? Is there something topside which will influence where the blade tracks below. This bandsaw otherwise is adjusted to perfection and although being almost ten years old, has very little use on it.

Nick, can you perhaps weigh in on this and Paul, I know you have had a lot of experience on this and especially with modifications which I am really not interested in doing as I don't use the bandsaw often enough to warrant improvements.

Thank all of you for continued viewpoints.

Arno
Arno,
Look at the parts break down of the bandsaw in the manual regarding the lower thrust bearing and give SS a call for technical assistance. The approach that I take is to modify my saws with double bearings in the upper and lower thrust bearings. My idea is that a saw may not be used often, but when it is, it must perform flawlessly. I would rather spend a few extra bucks and a little time modifying than to waste a lot of bucks on ruined wood stock. I have posted many of the little modifications that work for me. Best of luck on a fix and when you get it in order let us all know what you did.
ldh
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

weelildaddy,

My bandsaw lower-bearing setup matches your description. I had adjusted it to the end of its travel but the blade doesn't go down the very center of the bearing. Anyway, I've noted no troubles operating this way. I think it's that way from the factory; maybe the mount was originally designed for a different width bearing or something?
Chris
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Arno;

I went out to take a look, to see if there was some sort of adjustment that could reposition the blade laterally across the edge of the lower thrust bearing. There is not. With everything thing loose and the cool blocks removed, I can move mine back and forth but when I lock everything down that thrust bearing takes its own position.

[ATTACH]1735[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]1736[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]1737[/ATTACH]

Thought I'd better clean it up before putting it away.

[ATTACH]1738[/ATTACH]
Attachments
P6290039.JPG
P6290039.JPG (157.15 KiB) Viewed 30829 times
P6290040.JPG
P6290040.JPG (151.29 KiB) Viewed 30796 times
P6290041.JPG
P6290041.JPG (146.79 KiB) Viewed 30791 times
P6290042.JPG
P6290042.JPG (143.46 KiB) Viewed 30790 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
weelildaddy

Post by weelildaddy »

Thanks everyone for your help. Wow Dusty...what a difference a clean bandsaw makes heehee. That's what I was doing when I noticed the off set bearing. I have to agree with nuhobby though, as long as it works and is not causing a problem then I guess I should be satisfied. Perhaps I just have a bit in me that wants things right. I have to admidt however than although I don't want to modify my saw, in reading everyone elses bandsaw comments on this forum, either thoes ceramic blocks or Carter's roller bearings sure do look good.

Thanks again everyone.
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

Dusty,
Take another look at the lower thrust bearing assembly on the bandsaw and I think you will find the holes are slightly elongated for a small amount of lateral movement. I depend on this adjustment to center the blade when I install double thrust bearings. I found on a couple of older saws I had to use a rat tail file to elongate the hole a bit further to center the blade.
ldh
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

ldh wrote:Dusty,
Take another look at the lower thrust bearing assembly on the bandsaw and I think you will find the holes are slightly elongated for a small amount of lateral movement. I depend on this adjustment to center the blade when I install double thrust bearings. I found on a couple of older saws I had to use a rat tail file to elongate the hole a bit further to center the blade.
ldh

ldh, thank you.

I did and you are absolutely right. The thrust bearing assembly makes provision for about a 1/4" (or more) of lateral movement. Apparently, I have never moved it but then that is really a feeble explanation. Once I took the bolt loose and looked closely, it is really apparent.

In the photos, the captured nut, right behind and to the left of the bearing, covers the elongated slot.

weelildaddy, this warrants a closer look.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
weelildaddy

Post by weelildaddy »

Thanks Dusty. If you re-read my original inqujiry, you will see that I was aware of the lateral adjustment and that was the first thing I tired but the assembly would not slide over quite far enough. I may have to do what ldh suggested and take a rattail file and elongate the slot just a wee bit more. It runs like a purring kitten right now and the off set doesn't seem to affect its performance.

You know, over the years, I've decided that Shopsmith's are as much fun to just play with as they are to build things with. Not many other tool owners can say that.

Well, its bedtime here in the east so good nite.

Arno
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

weelildaddy wrote:Thanks Dusty. If you re-read my original inqujiry, you will see that I was aware of the lateral adjustment and that was the first thing I tired but the assembly would not slide over quite far enough. I may have to do what ldh suggested and take a rattail file and elongate the slot just a wee bit more. It runs like a purring kitten right now and the off set doesn't seem to affect its performance.

You know, over the years, I've decided that Shopsmith's are as much fun to just play with as they are to build things with. Not many other tool owners can say that.

Well, its bedtime here in the east so good nite.

Arno

Sorry I have bin offline for a while, to get my bearing centered I had to elongate the hole quite a bit. Much more then what I originally expected.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC