Disappointing Demo

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: Disappointing Demo

Post by reible »

Hi,

Not too long ago I attended a demo and during the "after talk" it was clear the sales guy was a little more then disheartening at the lack of attendance he was seeing. Maybe it was the cold winter weather or other reasons but he felt that there were few people showing up at the stores. Way more employees then shoppers is not a good thing for sales for the store or for shopsmith.

I was wondering if the big event of the powerpro introduction and the clamor to see it in action has now been satisfied. Sure some of us fans stop in and they do get a few people that happen by and get sucked in but our "demo" had two people for the whole thing and one stopped by for about 5 minutes. No sales.

I personally think he might be moving on to another way to make money soon. Yea you need to do what you need to do. I have no other references so I have no idea how well other sellers are doing but that can lead to issues as were described in the initial posting, in fact it might be the same sales person??? If your heart is not in it, well you all know how that goes.

BTW big fan of Norm

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Post by rcplaneguy »

I had forgotten how much Norm demonstrated ShopSmith equipment in those early shows. While making this candle stand table he shows the SS pro planer, the lathe duplicator, the drill press, the drum sander, and the belt sander.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZpnBsnYkdE[/youtube]
bicman
Gold Member

Post by bicman »

There was a demo in Youngstown, OH at the Boardman Lowes store 2 weeks ago. I noticed it on the ShopSmith website site on demo's.

A few years ago, I was sent an e-mail and post card advertising the upcoming demo. This time I received no such advance notice. I am not sure if that was a general oversight or specifically aimed at me due to a previous negative post in a Bill Mayo thread about this same issue.

Nevertheless, I had other things to do so the demo was skipped. The one I attended a few years ago at the same store wasn't worth the short drive over there and after seeing some of these negative reviews of these demo's, I would be hesitant to plan for and make time for an event that would be disappointing.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

rcplaneguy wrote:I had forgotten how much Norm demonstrated ShopSmith equipment in those early shows. While making this candle stand table he shows the SS pro planer, the lathe duplicator, the drill press, the drum sander, and the belt sander.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZpnBsnYkdE[/youtube]
For all the naysayers out there, if Norm didn't know what a SS was and had some experience with it why would he have featured it in his early shows? Yes, he moved on to Delta because they provided the BIG bucks. The SS is certainly a key machine in this show. Enough said.

As far as SS demos at Lowes, I bought my PP headstock and double tilt upgrade at Lowes in Salt Lake City about 2 years ago (maybe 3). We left to do some other shopping without buying and my wife said lets go back. It was in December and the prices were going up in January. Since you actually pay Lowes when you buy I also got my 10% Veterans discount from Lowes.

Anyhow, the point is the demonstrator was Dave Folkerth John's son. We had a good time talking about the company and I showed him pictures of my 10ER's. At one point he said wait a minute I need to go out to my car. He came back with a folder that had original 8X10 black and white glossy prints of Danny Thomas and Buster Keaton with MK V's.

It was a great demo and I bought the full up PP headstock and the double tilt upgrade and saved a bunch.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
kschwarz20
Gold Member

Post by kschwarz20 »

The location of this demo is interesting. About 2 or 3 years ago, right after the Mark 7 came out, I went to a demo in Chatilly, VA, not too far from Hagerstown, MD. They guy who did my demo was the same way - somewhat disinterested, and not at all knowledgeable. He did not even seem all that interested in selling me the new Mark 7, and knew nothing about the upgrade program other than the prices. The basic demo showed the machine to be a great one, but it seemed like the guy doing the demo knew next to nothing about it beyond what was in his demo script. I wonder if it as the same guy.
sawwood
Gold Member

Post by sawwood »

rjent wrote:
JPG wrote:His name????
Grand PooPah beat me to it. I am sure ShopSmith would like to know who this "representative" is .... ;)
Looking at the current demo schedule it would appear that there are 3 demonstrators doing demos on most weeks. So I'm sure it's easy for the mothership to know who it was.......

I know one of the demonstrators is "Billy Martin"? from GA. He seems to be very knowledgeable and entertaining!! Anybody know any of the other demonstrators. I guess if you go to a demo, remember to get the demonstrators name.
nutball
Gold Member

Post by nutball »

The demonstrator I've seen in North Carolina a couple of times during the last couple of years was one of the Folkerth (sp?) sons. Dave, I believe, brother of current president John. He was a very nice guy and positive and knowledgeable about the system - and the machine seemed to be maintained well. I hope he was not the demonstrator the OP was describing.

Since I had already bought a PP upgrade, I mostly just went to see if I could pick up any tips for operating the equipment. Spent most of the time there shooting the bull with the demonstrator. While there were a couple of other observers each time I went, I did not witness any sales and I doubt (just my opinion) they get a whole lot of attention or make many sales, so I could see someone getting frustrated traveling from store to store demonstrating something that probably doesn't get much attention (again, just my opinion).
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Mike Young is the demonstrator seen most often here in Arizona. There is no doubt that Mike knows his stuff. It seems as though he has been demonstrating Shopsmiths ever since they were green. Mike definitely does not come across as either bored or uninformed.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

nutball wrote:The demonstrator I've seen in North Carolina a couple of times during the last couple of years was one of the Folkerth (sp?) sons. Dave, I believe, brother of current president John. He was a very nice guy and positive and knowledgeable about the system - and the machine seemed to be maintained well. I hope he was not the demonstrator the OP was describing.

Since I had already bought a PP upgrade, I mostly just went to see if I could pick up any tips for operating the equipment. Spent most of the time there shooting the bull with the demonstrator. While there were a couple of other observers each time I went, I did not witness any sales and I doubt (just my opinion) they get a whole lot of attention or make many sales, so I could see someone getting frustrated traveling from store to store demonstrating something that probably doesn't get much attention (again, just my opinion).
Who is the current president? John was the father of David and that John was the long time president who resurrected the SS after it went out of production (I forget the year). He has passed away. David told me this about 4 years ago when I bought my PP headstock and double tilt in Salt Lake City. Is there a son whose name is John and now runs the company?

FWIW, David told me when I bought the PP that he was an independent contractor working for Shopsmith. He said it works out better financially. Of course, I am sure he has other financial connections with the company.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote: . . .

Who is the current president? . . .

Robert as in RLF. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange