Florida Piliated Woodpeckers

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Florida Piliated Woodpeckers

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Since we have been talking about them last week I thought you guys would enjoy seeing a picture of them.
crane.JPG
crane.JPG (152.84 KiB) Viewed 3060 times

Kidding :D

These are two Sandhill cranes that walk through my neighborhood about once a week or so. These birds are about 4 feet high and I was within 4 feet of them. Someone has been feeding them since they followed me all over the yard looking for handouts.

Not a good thing, to many have lost a fear and will walk right in front of a car. They are getting hit way to often.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Re: Florida Piliated Woodpeckers

Post by Ed in Tampa »

image.jpg
image.jpg (396 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
I' learning to use my IPad here perhaps a better picture.
image.jpg
image.jpg (396 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (421.87 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
Fla_Jim
Gold Member

Post by Fla_Jim »

I was told by a "Redneck" friend that they're pretty good eating. ;)
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Here in IL we see and mostly hear them fly over in spring and fall. My brother in Berlin WI sees them looking out over a local farmers corn field.

When I was visiting this past summer I took a few pictures, at a good long ways away. I spotted a pair that had a chick but by the time I got the camera the chick gone into hiding. Yea that time of year you will not get so close.

This turned out to be an interesting shot, 840mm lens will only get you this close. Even at this distance they had taken notice of me, hence the chick hiding even at that point.
IMG_3335sc.jpg
IMG_3335sc.jpg (746.61 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

reible wrote:Here in IL we see and mostly hear them fly over in spring and fall. My brother in Berlin WI sees them looking out over a local farmers corn field.

When I was visiting this past summer I took a few pictures, at a good long ways away. I spotted a pair that had a chick but by the time I got the camera the chick gone into hiding. Yea that time of year you will not get so close.

This turned out to be an interesting shot, 840mm lens will only get you this close. Even at this distance they had taken notice of me, hence the chick hiding even at that point.
IMG_3335sc.jpg
Ed
I've never seen one here in Ohio -- I'll have to pay more attention to what's flying overhead.

Looks like you got a deer in the background as well!
bffulgham
Gold Member

We see 1 or 2 of these in our part of the world as well.....

Post by bffulgham »

....along with a couple thousand of their friends and family.
They winter over in our part of the world.
IMG_0535 (Custom).JPG
IMG_0535 (Custom).JPG (153.85 KiB) Viewed 3002 times
IMG_4099 (Custom).JPG
IMG_4099 (Custom).JPG (147.56 KiB) Viewed 3002 times
IMG_4105 (Custom).JPG
IMG_4105 (Custom).JPG (164.15 KiB) Viewed 3002 times
Bud F.
1998 Mark V 510 bought used 2006, Jointer, 2 Bandsaws, ca 1960 Yuba SawSmith RAS
Projects and "stuff": http://www.bfulgham.com/JAlbum/Woodworking_Index/
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This was from last March, the second flock of the day. You can hear them coming while they are just dots in the sky.
IMG_1517sc.jpg
IMG_1517sc.jpg (286.67 KiB) Viewed 3000 times
According to my brother they (this flock???) arrived up by him, still too much snow so the next day they took off for parts south. I guess that happens.

I have no idea where these winter but their north/south trips take them over our house.

Ed
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Fla_Jim wrote:I was told by a "Redneck" friend that they're pretty good eating. ;)

Must be. The rednecks here have gotten an open season on them passed! :mad:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

reible wrote:Here in IL we see and mostly hear them fly over in spring and fall. My brother in Berlin WI sees them looking out over a local farmers corn field.

IMG_3335sc.jpg
Ed
Did you notice the deer standing in the background?

Interesting that you saw one with chicks that far north. Most pairs here in Florida are caring for chicks this time of year.

I actually was able to pet a chick about 5 years ago. The parents kept a sharp eye on me and me on them. I did not want to feel what they could do with those beaks. ;) .
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

There was a deer in my picture? Why yes there was, and the reason I took a series of shots at that time. Just never know what might happen to make a photo more interesting.

So as far as chicks that far north......... this is the summer breeding grounds. They live there from March to Nov, a good 8 months of the year for that express reason. Here is a short read if you care to:

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/caer/ce/eek/critt ... ndhill.htm

I believe some of them go north in to Canada and perhaps Alaska each summer so WI is not even that far north for them.

Do you have a local population that you see all year round? It could be that some of your birds don't venture north?

Ed