lathe chisels

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JTD7366
Silver Member

lathe chisels

Post by JTD7366 »

I have a new Mark 7 that I am getting to know. I am excited to begin turning a few things, but have limited experience. I want to purchase some lathe chisels. Shopsmith is currently having a sale on a set of carbide chisels made by Easy Wood Tools. They are not typical looking chisels, but claim to be easier to use and you never sharpen them.

Question: Should I consider these or stick with the "regular" type lathe chisels for my first set?
Thanks
beeg
Platinum Member

Re: lathe chisels

Post by beeg »

Might I suggest that you look here for a local chapter of a woodturning club.
http://www.woodturner.org/search/custom.asp?id=1509
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
jimthej
Gold Member

Post by jimthej »

Ditto what beeg said. Having a coach while you are learning is priceless. I have some Easy Wood tools. I like them. They are easier to learn. However, I get more tearout than with standard tools. I also find them sometimes catchy if i have a muscle tremor.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I use the Easy Wood Tools and they are exactly that, easy. However, they do in fact leave a rougher finish than the conventional lathe tools. They give the novice turner a good sense of accomplishment due to their shorter learning curve.
Can you tell us where you are located? Do what Beeg suggested and see if you can link up with a mentor.
Turning is a woodworking activity that has a smaller following than most other woodworking activities but that following tends to be rather fanatical.
Therefore, I am a fanatic.
I like my EWT tools but I still try to master the conventional ones.
Bill V
JTD7366
Silver Member

Post by JTD7366 »

Thanks for the replies. I tried finding a local turning group on the suggested website, but no luck. I am in the Southern Ohio area.
The sale on the chisels ends in a couple of days, so maybe I should take a little more time to evaluate....
The regular chisels are definitely less expensive but I was intrigued by the EWT pitch and offer...
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

JTD7366 wrote:Thanks for the replies. I tried finding a local turning group on the suggested website, but no luck. I am in the Southern Ohio area.
The sale on the chisels ends in a couple of days, so maybe I should take a little more time to evaluate....
The regular chisels are definitely less expensive but I was intrigued by the EWT pitch and offer...

Do support your neighboring state to the south's producers. ;)

Since they are 'scrapers', using them is easier for a novice.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I mainly turn. I have a few carbide tools and think that they're great, but not the end all. Use them to get close to the shape you want and finish off with traditional SHARP tools. The difference is tremendous, but only comes with practice. Find a club if you can. I wish that there was one near me (closest is about 60 miles away), but alas I had to settle for Youtube as my club! Make sure that you have a face shield and that you use it!
JTD7366
Silver Member

Post by JTD7366 »

Thanks Chris. Think I'll start with the regular set of chisels and go from there. ...yes, youtube is great....
Thanks for the reminder on the eye protection...
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

Like others have said, YouTube IS the answer.

Check out this channel, Eddie is recovering from
some brain surgery, and WILL return, but his stuff
has taught me TONS. Mainly, "ride the bevel."

https://www.youtube.com/user/capneddie

Go back to the "less than 100 posts" area, and start
watching. As Eddie would say, "All you gotta do is
WATCH!"

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes: