Shop built 6in double sleeve drum sander

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

STB
Gold Member

Shop built 6in double sleeve drum sander

Post by STB »

A drum sander with two different grit sanding sleeves is something I have wanted for a while. I suppose I could of bought one but where is the fun in that. The first picture represents my first attempt. I prefer to use a term Norm uses for his first attempt "prototype".
In the prototype I first turned the cylinder, then drilled the center, next cut the wedge. This caused three problems. First the center hole drifted off center. Second the cylinder was now out of round by the distance of the saw kerf. Third when the sanding sleeves were installed and tightened it was next to impossible to get them apart. The prototype also exposed a inherent flaw with wedge design. As the wedges are drawn together it distorts the round shape. I ignored this and keeping the tolerances close the distortion is negligible.

[ATTACH]26697[/ATTACH]

On my second attempt I cut the wedge while the stock was square. Much safer than cutting the wedge in round stock. Next I drilled the center hole. The next machine operation was to drill spring pockets in the center. The pocket drilling operation made the back hold down to creep. I solved this by putting the light hold down in the track next to the wedge. Compression springs help separate the wedges when removing the sanding sleeves.

[ATTACH]26698[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]26699[/ATTACH]

The next problem was how to mount the stock with a 3/8 hole in the center. My solution was to grind a point on some thread rod, remove the pointy thingy from the tail stock and mount the other end in the drill chuck. By using the lathe chisel sharping jig and the disk sander I was amazed at the accuracy of the center point. To keep the wedges in place during the turning operation I screwed the wedges together making sure both ends of the screw were below the outside diameter of the cylinder. Looks like I run out of picture space. Post to continue.

[ATTACH]26700[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]26701[/ATTACH]
Attachments
P1.jpg
P1.jpg (364.47 KiB) Viewed 4672 times
P2.jpg
P2.jpg (448.52 KiB) Viewed 4672 times
P3.jpg
P3.jpg (479.15 KiB) Viewed 4672 times
P4.jpg
P4.jpg (395.26 KiB) Viewed 4673 times
P5.jpg
P5.jpg (220.89 KiB) Viewed 4673 times
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench
STB
Gold Member

Drum Sander post continued

Post by STB »

Next I waxed the wedge surfaces (JPW to the rescue) and assembled. If I ever make another one I will use a 1/2 in bolt and cut the head off the bolt on the chuck mount side instead of 3/8 threaded stock.

[ATTACH]26702[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]26703[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]26704[/ATTACH]
Attachments
P6.jpg
P6.jpg (349.2 KiB) Viewed 4671 times
P7.jpg
P7.jpg (421.06 KiB) Viewed 4671 times
P8.jpg
P8.jpg (413.74 KiB) Viewed 4665 times
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Wow! Really cleaver! I've not seen this design before.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Looks like someone has been having fun in the shop!

I really enjoy when members share projects and add some build details. While I might or might not ever make at particular project I can and do "steal" ideas for other uses.

A job well done, thank you.

Ed

ps

Here is something I did some years back and it is still in use today. It makes use of the shopsmith 6" drum sander and shows the option of multi-grit, plus.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=863
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

What a great idea! Looks like it ought to work great!

Dick
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
STB
Gold Member

Speaking of idea stealing

Post by STB »

reible wrote: ps

Here is something I did some years back and it is still in use today. It makes use of the shopsmith 6" drum sander and shows the option of multi-grit, plus.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=863
Before posting I searched "drum sanders" I didn't want to step all over some other post. During the search I ran across your post. I see some form of your design in my future. I should be able to extend the thread rod point and use the tail stock to stabilize the drum during sanding operations and build a table similar to your design. I prefer to call it adapting not stealing.
Glenn

ibskot
Gold Member

Post by ibskot »

Nice and clever off label use of the sharpening jig. I like it.
SS Mark V (1983 from Grandfather) upgraded to a 510, pieces to make a 500 mini, SS bandsaw, belt sander, broken scroll saw, and strip sander, Jet VS Mini Lathe, and tons of Lee Valley and vintage Stanley planes. Woodcraft slow speed grinder and a German made Tormek wannabe. Ridgid TS 3650 Table Saw, General 80-075LM Jointer.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi again,

Another nice touch was showing another way of using the finger boards. While no one has mentioned it yet I sure it was spotted by a few that had no idea that was an option. Well now that secret is out and I hope a few others pick up on it.

Ed