Shaper fence Vac attachment?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cooch366
Gold Member

Shaper fence Vac attachment?

Post by cooch366 »

Good morning, I'm in the process of making a router table from a second 510 table.

My plan is to mill out the table to be able to add a 1/4" plate insert that attaches to my router and can be inserted into the table. I've moved the 510 table legs over to the left (removing the 4 bolts and only attaching 2) making enough room to insert the router and plan to bolt an extension table with legs to the table allowing me to use 4 legs (2 on the main table and 2 on the extension table) for stability.

My plan is to be able to use SS fences and accessories with a router mounted under a SS table. I've got everything layed out and so far everything looks good

BTW I will post pictures when it is done. :) I know how we love pictures.

My question is does anyone have any ideas if SS makes a vacuum attachment for the shaper fence? I'm looking to replace the red chip guard between the adjustment knobs on the back of the fence with one that has a vacuum port on the back of it. Something like the one that Rockler has on their router tables.

Any ideas?

Thanks.... Steve
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

I'm fairly sure that the shaper dust collection is through the insert, not the fence. At least that is how I do it and it works just fine. Check this link:
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/itemfind.htm?item=555168
________________________________________________________________________________________________
1981 Mark V 500, bandsaw, belt sander, jig saw, jointer; contractor's table saw; multiple circular saws and miter saws; and a trailer full of tools.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Abraham Lincoln
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Assuming you are shaping from above the table, and you are using the table insert with a round hole rather than a slot, anmius is right on! Using this part, the dust collection is below the table and is quite effective.

I leave my dust collection vac attachment fixed to the table insert always. There is no need to remove it.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

Hi Steve,
I think at the simplest level you could fabricate this by attaching a hose to the shaper fence
[ATTACH]26583[/ATTACH]

With my M7 I received two router shaper shields, one mounts on the quill however the other has a stem that mounts on the table using the sliding t nuts (#17 right side). That second one might be acceptable for your use if you can find one. I briefly looked on the SS site but could not find a listing or part number. If you check out a picture of the standard accessories you can see both shields.
[ATTACH]26584[/ATTACH]

Looking forward to seeing the next iteration of the router table!

Be well,
Ben
Attachments
stay_put_kit.jpg
stay_put_kit.jpg (23.78 KiB) Viewed 4112 times
standard_access.jpg
standard_access.jpg (143.08 KiB) Viewed 4109 times
cooch366
Gold Member

Post by cooch366 »

charlese wrote:Assuming you are shaping from above the table, and you are using the table insert with a round hole rather than a slot, anmius is right on! Using this part, the dust collection is below the table and is quite effective.

I leave my dust collection vac attachment fixed to the table insert always. There is no need to remove it.
My plan is to have the router mounted under the table so the dust collector montioned won't work this way. Thanks.
cooch366
Gold Member

Post by cooch366 »

benush26 wrote:Hi Steve,
I think at the simplest level you could fabricate this by attaching a hose to the shaper fence
[ATTACH]26583[/ATTACH]

With my M7 I received two router shaper shields, one mounts on the quill however the other has a stem that mounts on the table using the sliding t nuts (#17 right side). That second one might be acceptable for your use if you can find one. I briefly looked on the SS site but could not find a listing or part number. If you check out a picture of the standard accessories you can see both shields.
[ATTACH]26584[/ATTACH]

Looking forward to seeing the next iteration of the router table!

Be well,
Ben
Thanks for the idea Ben. I do have one of the (#17 right). I'll have to look at doctoring something and fabricating some sort of holder. It looks like that may work. Thanks for the idea.

Steve
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange