getting older

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:Guys, I can sympathize. As a relatively young pup at age 56, you would think that getting up from the floor wouldn't be a big deal for me. But while I'm still pretty robust from the thighs up, I inherited my Mom's prematurely arthritic knees. They work OK on level ground, but they sound mighty like a ratchet whenever I walk downstairs. No way that I can sneak up on my kids anymore. :(

Fortunately, my mind is still sharp, and my early training in physics and robotics enabled me to invent a move for rising from a completely supine position, to fully erect, in almost no time .. while never applying a significant non-columnar load to my knees. I call it the "kip-up". You can check out my technique out in this video, in which one of my acolytes demonstrates the move for the benefit of the next generation.
You may want to practice the maneuver on a thick padded carpet, before attempting it on your workroom floor. :D
That looks easy enough.:eek: :eek: :eek:
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:Guys, I can sympathize. As a relatively young pup at age 56, you would think that getting up from the floor wouldn't be a big deal for me. But while I'm still pretty robust from the thighs up, I inherited my Mom's prematurely arthritic knees. They work OK on level ground, but they sound mighty like a ratchet whenever I walk downstairs. No way that I can sneak up on my kids anymore. :(

Fortunately, my mind is still sharp, and my early training in physics and robotics enabled me to invent a move for rising from a completely supine position, to fully erect, in almost no time .. while never applying a significant non-columnar load to my knees. I call it the "kip-up". You can check out my technique out in this video, in which one of my acolytes demonstrates the move for the benefit of the next generation.

You may want to practice the maneuver on a thick padded carpet, before attempting it on your workroom floor. :D

I can do that, but I find it's easier to do a backward handspring to your feet. I was blessed with gymnastic abilities, finely honed while playing right field in little league! When I turned fifty five years ago, I marked the date with five flips, nailed four of them...:) six for sixty?
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

A little motivation can be of help sometimes I find. For instance, if you drop a screw ..... it's hardly worth the trouble.
...... but if you toss say your last beer down there with it, then it's worth going to the trouble. There's an old joke about a two holer outdoor toilet........

:-)
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

BTW, I find that gluing a good button shaped magnet to the base of a hammer handle stops a lot of the noises of picking up a screw or nail... :cool:

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Hey thanks Dennis this was just what I needed. The wife was after me to paint the house, so I dropped the paint brush on the floor and laid down beside it to pick it up. Then I did just like the video showed. It worked!!!

Wife said the painters will be finished with the house about the time I get out of the hospital.:D
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Hey thanks Dennis this was just what I needed. The wife was after me to paint the house, so I dropped the paint brush on the floor and laid down beside it to pick it up. Then I did just like the video showed. It worked!!!

Wife said the painters will be finished with the house about the time I get out of the hospital.:D
Ed, you the man! You must have snuck back up here to Ohio and got yourself a good bellyfull of gravy-fried, hickory-fed squirrel to have pulled off that stunt! Don't worry about the hospital thing .. those poor starving docs need all the charity business that we can afford them. :rolleyes:

ChrisNeilan may be younger and more acrobatic, but he is just not as kind and generous to them young whippersnapper docs as you are!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

ChrisNeilan wrote:I can do that, but I find it's easier to do a backward handspring to your feet. I was blessed with gymnastic abilities, finely honed while playing right field in little league! When I turned fifty five years ago, I marked the date with five flips, nailed four of them...:) six for sixty?
I would say "Don't try those flips at 60 unless you do a few every day between now and then. A lot can go wrong in 5 years".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

dusty wrote:I would say "Don't try those flips at 60 unless you do a few every day between now and then. A lot can go wrong in 5 years".

A lot already has! :D
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
Fla_Jim
Gold Member

Post by Fla_Jim »

This little $2.00 on sale item from Harbor Freight is a life saver.
I can pick up a screw with it, or other larger objects.
Attachments
IMG_0345 (597x800).jpg
IMG_0345 (597x800).jpg (227.53 KiB) Viewed 1939 times
sawmill
Gold Member

Post by sawmill »

Fla_Jim wrote:This little $2.00 on sale item from Harbor Freight is a life saver.
I can pick up a screw with it, or other larger objects.
I have to stop shaking first to be able to use that:)