500/510 Upgrade.

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Fla_Jim
Gold Member

500/510 Upgrade.

Post by Fla_Jim »

I have a 1973 vintage 500, and a 1956 "greenie" mini that I use for SPT's
I finally bit the bullet, and picked up a 510 upgrade.
I'm thinking that I'd like to use the 500 tables, and carriage on the greenie minnie. I don't want to make the greenie full size, just enough length to use the main table, and the extension table.
What length should the tubes need to be to do this?
Thanks
Jim
Fla_Jim
Gold Member

Post by Fla_Jim »

It has been a couple of days, since I posted this.
I've got no reply to my question.
Maybe I phrased it wrong.
I want to lengthen my "Minnie" to long enough to use the carriage, and table from the other 500 being upgraded. I'd like it just long enough to be able to use the disc sander, and the end extension table.
I need to know how long to make the tubes.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Fla_Jim wrote:I have a 1973 vintage 500, and a 1956 "greenie" mini that I use for SPT's
I finally bit the bullet, and picked up a 510 upgrade.
I'm thinking that I'd like to use the 500 tables, and carriage on the greenie minnie. I don't want to make the greenie full size, just enough length to use the main table, and the extension table.
What length should the tubes need to be to do this?
Thanks
Jim
I will tell you how long I made my tubes but I have 510 tables and carriage so my numbers would probably not work for you. I cut off 16" and if I could do it over I would cut off only 15".

Since you have both configurations (500 and 510), I would suggest that you build up the greenie using the 500 carriage and tables. You can then position the carriage and table(s) to determine how much to cut off of the tubes.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

I recommend setting up your regular shopsmith with what you want to mount and see what the minimum length is that you can still do all the functions you want to accomplish with the SHORTER Shopsmith. I ended up using 18" shorter tubes when I did this test setup. Contact me off line if you need any way and bench tubes
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
2centsworth
Gold Member

It varies...

Post by 2centsworth »

You are getting some great advise from people who found out after the fact what is too short and what is long enough. Bill said it best put it together and measure. Anywhere from 14 to 16 inches will work. My suggestion start with 14 you can always trim off more, it is putting it back on that makes it difficult :D good luck I love my shorty !
Jerry Penny
2centsworth
The Woodlands, Tx
SS 520 SN#518424 2000 (reversed motor), Shopsmith 10 E (shorty) fully restored by Skip with DC motor, Shopsmith 10 ER fully restored by Skip with DC motor, Shopsmith 10 ER (under going restoration), Greenie Shorty sanding station, Greenie Mini jointer station, SS Bandsaw power station, SS Planner, SS overhead pin router, SS Belt Sander, SS Strip Sander,, SS Jigsaw, SS Dust Collector, Ringmaster, and still having fun looking for more !
Fla_Jim
Gold Member

Post by Fla_Jim »

Thanks for the replies.
I think I'll start with cutting off 14". I have a ridgid pipe cutter.
I tend to subscribe to the "I cut it twice, and it's still too short theory":eek: .
But this time, I'll be cautious.
Thanks again.

Jim
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

Great thread for me, since I am thinking about making my greenie into a shorty too. For belt sander, disc on the other side, and some horizontal boring when. I dont want to cut and then Supper Glue the tubs back together with a internal sleeve!!!LOL Thanks for the info on what is about right length to cut off and still be usefull.
Bob
Measure once, cut as many times as needed to get it right! Bob
56/57 Greenie with jointer, 85 Mark V with band saw, 63 Goldie with jointer, 3 ER 10s, 1951 vintage, Hernia from the Er 10s, Tool Shop SS clone 6" jointer, and 6" belt sander, Delta 10" TS, Buffalo 6" jointer, Craftsman 12" BS, 10" Ryobi planer. Compound Miter, and misc.