Cutting Board Finish

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Cutting Board Finish

Post by mountainbreeze »

I'm making a couple of small end-grain cutting boards out of hard maple and I am seeking guidance on what the best finish for them would be. I have some Watco Butcher Block finish which is petroleum based an I also have Mineral Oil. Is one of these better than the other or should I consider something else?
Bill
----------------
Mark V 520 50th Anniversary Edition, Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

Both are food safe, I am a mineral oil guy for mine and wooden food utensils, dish washers are tuff on any one of them, which I do not put them in. What ever you use, you will have to recoat occasionally.
Measure once, cut as many times as needed to get it right! Bob
56/57 Greenie with jointer, 85 Mark V with band saw, 63 Goldie with jointer, 3 ER 10s, 1951 vintage, Hernia from the Er 10s, Tool Shop SS clone 6" jointer, and 6" belt sander, Delta 10" TS, Buffalo 6" jointer, Craftsman 12" BS, 10" Ryobi planer. Compound Miter, and misc.
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

Mineral oil is also a petroleum oil. Watch out for mineral oil sold in pharmacies, some have fragrances added to make your skin smell better when it's used as a skin lotion.

Gary
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

I'm also a mineral oil person. But not the mineral oil you purchase at the local hardware store. I prefer using a "food safe" mineral oil. So I get mine at Tractors Supply. Works like a charm and doesn't spoil.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/ideal-animal-health-mineral-oil-light-1-gal#desc-tab
________________________________________________________________________________________________
1981 Mark V 500, bandsaw, belt sander, jig saw, jointer; contractor's table saw; multiple circular saws and miter saws; and a trailer full of tools.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Abraham Lincoln
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

Watch out for mineral oil sold in pharmacies, some have fragrances added to make your skin smell better when it's used as a skin lotion.
Just look at the ingredients!
56/57 Greenie with jointer, 85 Mark V with band saw, 63 Goldie with jointer, 3 ER 10s, 1951 vintage, Hernia from the Er 10s, Tool Shop SS clone 6" jointer, and 6" belt sander, Delta 10" TS, Buffalo 6" jointer, Craftsman 12" BS, 10" Ryobi planer. Compound Miter, and misc.
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

I'm another mineral oil guy, and like Bob, I advise that they not go in the dishwasher.

Since it is not a film finish, recoating is easy and only takes a couple of minutes.

John
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

BTW, I warm it up to thin the viscosity a bit to soak in better.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rbursek wrote:BTW, I warm it up to thin the viscosity a bit to soak in better.
You been to too many massage parlors!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

Yes I have back in my Tri and Marathon days, I bet you put creosote on your cutting boards. Or was it the mix of creosote and used/drained motor oil??
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I bought a can of salad bowl finish 25 years ago and still have not used it up completely. It goes on all my wood surfaces that touch food.
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... oducts.htm